Statement from Dish on A&E HD, History HD and NFL HD

History Channel website is still down, and it's probably related to this problem. NFL-HD and A&E-HD are dead on cable too. Don't have History HD on cable yet, although it's coming shortly along with all the other national HD channels Dish just added (and then some with channels like TBS HD and TWC-HD).

It was most likely an electrical fire since there was a power outage at the building Sunday night. There was no widespread power outage in our area, just that building. The offices only received some smoke damage, but there is no power to the building and it's running on the generator. The roof of the building has several satellite dishes on it for uplinking the programming. Considering that the channels are still broadcasting in SD then they do have some backup. Some of you people make me laugh, how many companies can have a fire that closes their building and just resume normal operations from another location the same day? Just wait, if tonight's Yankees game is not shown in HD, that will really get people going.

Here is info on the facility.
http://www.ascentmedia.com/location...ia Network Services Stamford Harbor Plaza.pdf

Last edited:
The History Channel will soon be touting films with an "authentic" browned image on some scenes to simulate extreme film age.

Take it from M$... It's not a bug, it's a FEATURE.

(snicker)

Bummer of a day to lose HistoryHD as they usually run a bunch of great 9/11 retrospective programming, it would've been nice to see some of them hopefully framed 16x9 / unconverted to HD.

I still think E* should've just mirrored the SD channel on the HD channel so those of us who set timers would not miss the programs we chose to record.

Dish has just posted this to their retailer website.

UPDATE - HD Channel Outages - History Channel, A&E and NFL Network HD
Due to technical difficulties at the broadcaster’s uplink the History Channel, A&E and NFL Network HD channels are currently unavailable. Customers can continue to view the channels in SD on channel 120 (History Channel), channel 118 (A&E) and channel 154 (NFL Network). An update will be released once the technical difficulties have been resolved and HD programming is restored.

Slates will be placed on the HD channels for the History Channel, A&E and NFL Network that will notify customers of this HD technical difficulty.

Many of you pull quoted my concern over source programs. The concern is not without validity. According to Scott's blog the fire was contained in a stairwell and the rest of the place suffered smoke and soot damage. See his blog for details as much as he was able to get.

I don't know how mane of you all have been through a fire but it isn't pretty. I've been through two of them and nearly died in one but with several months in the hospital I came out of it with little scarring So pardon me if I don't think joking around about these things is very funny.

The smoke damage alone can be very serious to electronics, especially the VCR's and tape stock. Sprinkler systems and fire fighters with axes also can destroy equipment. Most of today's head ends are server based and after some cleanup, debugging, the servers should run fine, maybe. If the tapes archive were smoked, they would need to be replaced.

Off site backup storage of the library? Not sure about them but my experience with cable, whether it be Cox Comcast Cablevision, Time warner, you name it, when they lose the tape they need to go to the program originator for a dub. If the server is too damaged, they would need to install another, backup tape feeds are possible but new machines would need to be installed. Since I am a program originator, I get those calls several times a year. They don't maintain copies off site. They don't request a backup when I send an original new program. They don't maintain a backup server ready to go when a digital file gets trashed. Then, I've had clients, not broadcasters, insist they take possession of the masters and then lose them. They don't like it when I have to give them the bad news which is a reminder of their demands about taking possession of all content related to their project. IT's gone!

In my experience with fire and smoke damage- I'd say if they were down for the count of 48 hours, they will be down for quite a bit longer and the real truth is the fire and smoke is far more severe than Scotts blog stated.

Scott:
The fire was contained to a stairwell; however the building had a large amount of smoke and soot damage that needs to be cleaned up. Over 40 firefighters helped to fight the blaze.

It is unknown when employees will be allowed back in the building or when power will be restored. I am told by contacts that it will be “at least” another day before the stations are back online.

I hope this is a greatly exaggerated report. It would mean that the facility is not that bad after all.

I'm "concerned" that people are worried about when the channels will be back on the air or if their programming or tapes were damaged. WHO CARES. Did anyone get hurt ?? That's ALL that matters.

I agree Hall. All they need to do is go to the SD channel, after all that's what those two channels were showing SD.

I'm "concerned" that people are worried about when the channels will be back on the air or if their programming or tapes were damaged. WHO CARES. Did anyone get hurt ?? That's ALL that matters.
I'm only worried that NFL-HD won't be back on the air by the Thanksgiving game. I can live without Ice Road Truckers in HD.

Heres the article from the Stamford Advocate in case nobody posted it yet.

The Advocate - Fire sets off evacuation in Stamford building

It mentions nothing of injuries, which is a good thing so we can breath easier on that.

As far as content loss? Well...who knows. But since YesHD is affected by that same catastrophe, my guess is that if footage was lost of A-Rods 500th homer it would have made the front page of USAtoday knowing how the yankee hype machine works, so that may be a non-issue as well.

One thing we know about the news media, you seldom ever get the optimistic side. :)

A & E appears to be back on, at least the sd version of the channel is being played over the hd channel . Looks like the same thing for the History channel. NFl is still a HDTV slate . The guide shows at 6:00pm that a show is back on . I will see in less than 10 minutes.

A&E HD and The History Channel HD are distributed on Galaxy 14 Transponder 23. Currently there is no signal on that transponder. NFL HD is distributed on Galaxy 13 Transponder 21. Currently there is no signal on that transponder either. It appears that these channels are not being uplinked at this time.

A&E HD and The History Channel HD are back up on Galaxy 14 Transponder 23. NFL HD on Galaxy 13 Transponder 21 is still down.

I am beginning to wonder if they arsoned their own facility so they could get some better HD equipment out of the insurance company. Maybe they got sick of everybody complaining about not being true HD or not having enough HD programming and decided the only way they could economically make it work would be to start a fire, get the insurance money, and start over. They can get their cash and buy state of the art, 2007 equipment, as opposed to the circa 2001 equipment that has been pushing A&E HD since it's birth.

I'm being funny, for those that need to be told that, but I am sure there are people out there that believe such a theory.

I hope they get back online soon.
you mean they blew the place out like th Bamboo Lounge in "Good Fellas"?..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts