Statement from Dish on A&E HD, History HD and NFL HD

Universal HD has been showing NE reruns for several months. They went away for a few weeks about 2 weeks ago. I've managed to S-video DVD the first 3 seasons, 38 of 110 episodes in the 6 seasons. Now I'm going to try go get them to the external drive for HD. So I'll have to look for A&E, when they get back on and hope for other seasons. Ignore episode numbers (they skip around) and compare titles against the IMDB list.

-Ken
I thought that was on Universal Hd. IS it on A&E as well.
Man, I've been working too hard and staying up too late. You're right, it's Universal HD that runs A&E. My bad.

Maybe it's time to sit back and watch HD goodness and leave the computer Internets to the youngsters...

I'm at work and not in front of my TV at the moment so I can't verify...

4 HD Channels Back On Air

News
4 HD Channels Back On Air
The networks lost their signals due to a building fire.
By Swanni

Washington, D.C. (September 14, 2007) -- The four High-Definition channels that were knocked off the air this week due to a building fire have resumed broadcasting in high-def.

The channels -- NFL Network HD, A&E HD, History Channel HD and YES Network HD -- were knocked off the air Monday due to a three-alarm fire at the Stamford, Connecticut building where the HD signals originate.

But the channels were able to restore their HD signals yesterday after local fire officials permitted employees to return to the building.

The four networks, including NFL Network HD, switched to standard-definition signals at one point so they could resume broadcasting on the HD channels. The networks upconverted the standard-def signals so they came close to HD quality.

A Stamford fire official said the building's main office was not damaged, but smoke spread throughout much of the building. More than 45 fire fighters were called to the scene.

When i checked last night all the channels were ofereing SD. A&E HD and History HD had removed the logo and were most decidedly stretched versions of the SD content. A&E HD is often just HD but it is not normally stretched.

History is still stretched, which makes me wonder is E* doing this? If so check your source and it's time to flip that switch back, I would've rather have them push the SD with 4:3 framing or at the very most do it like discovery networks *upconvert* HD material. TNT style upconverting/stretching is HORRIBLE!

I e-mailed Swanni that we are not seeing the channels back in HD yet and asked for clarification. Here is what he replied:

To: .........(JH1949)
Subject: Re: HD versions are not back in actual HD yet on Echostar
Date: Friday, September 14, 2007 6:55 PM

I've seen HD on NFL Network HD on Comcast and have reports of YES HD and the others back intact on other systems.

ENDQUOTE

Last edited:
History is still stretched, which makes me wonder is E* doing this? If so check your source and it's time to flip that switch back, I would've rather have them push the SD with 4:3 framing or at the very most do it like discovery networks *upconvert* HD material. TNT style upconverting/stretching is HORRIBLE!

I doubt that E* is doing the stretching - it is likely that they are providing whatever the channel is giving them.

Yes HD was restored to HD on cablevision. This does nothing good to E* subs. The others have not on Dish. Maybe dish is not picking up the HD version for some strange reason if they have restored them.

I only got HD last week, but on the NFL network I have only seen one program (a replay of a game from this season) in HD. Aren't shows like Playbook and Total Access in HD? It wasn't in HD last night when I turned those on.

Some of the History SD 16:9 this morning looked stretched on History HD to fill the right and left sides but still had gaps at top and bottom.

Were they done this way on History HD before the fire ?

Some of the History SD 16:9 this morning looked stretched on History HD to fill the right and left sides but still had gaps at top and bottom.

Were they done this way on History HD before the fire ?

Nope. History HD was just like A&E HD where if it was show in 4x3 on the SD channel then it was 4x3 on the HD channel. Either Dish needs to switch the stretch back or History and the other channels aren't quite ready to send the HD signal the way it is supposed to be.

Nope. History HD was just like A&E HD where if it was show in 4x3 on the SD channel then it was 4x3 on the HD channel. Either Dish needs to switch the stretch back or History and the other channels aren't quite ready to send the HD signal the way it is supposed to be.

It's amazing to me that everyone always assumes that everything that goes on in the picture is by Dish...

I'm 99.9% sure that Dish has never stretched an image.

I know History and NFL hd are back. I cannot really tell about a & e. I have notice that history and a & e still strech its comercials and content that is not hd. I think this fire has given them the idea of this streching content. I hope it does not slow the production of real hd.

I have notice that history and a & e still strech its comercials and content that is not hd. I think this fire has given them the idea of this streching content.

This is definitely true - all the upconverted SD content on History-HD is now stretched.

Anyone have any contact information, so that we can vociferously complain about this ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)