Statement from HBO Regarding Cinemax on Dish Network.

Is there anything new in the pipeline for HBO? I haven't seen any ads for new shows. I get the feeling HBO is no longer trying to be the leading premium channel and going to try and milk the existing base as long as they can.

Well, their "existing base" is clearly all human beings with any taste, discirmination and intelligence.

Deadwood and Rome are easily the two best TV programs of the past couple of years (and HBO has other shows which seem to be equal in quality that I don't have time to view).

I think that Premium channels are unquestionably the outlet for quality TV. Every time that quality TV ends up on a Broadcast Network, it is screwed up and screwed over (cf. Firefly ).

Hdd 200

Sorry, but you cannot get CinemaxHD with a 905 or 922.

It takes the addition of a unit know as the HDD-200. That opens up the prem channels for HD w/ component out put w/ the exception of 1 of the Showtime. There is only 1 feed of it for C-band homes. The other coast feed of it is in PowerVu digital standard which is only available to cable co's.

Well, their "existing base" is clearly all human beings with any taste, discirmination and intelligence.

Deadwood and Rome are easily the two best TV programs of the past couple of years (and HBO has other shows which seem to be equal in quality that I don't have time to view).

By base I mean subscribers.

Deadwood has been canceled and Rome probably only has one season left. The Wire just finished this season and has one season left.

I think all thats left is Extras, Entourage and Big Love.

Last edited:
It takes the addition of a unit know as the HDD-200. That opens up the prem channels for HD w/ component out put w/ the exception of 1 of the Showtime. There is only 1 feed of it for C-band homes. The other coast feed of it is in PowerVu digital standard which is only available to cable co's.

Again, wrong.

As originally stated, the DSR905 or DSR922 can NOT receive Cinemax HD.

Only the DSR4400MD is capable and must be modified for the channel by Motorola.

This DOES NOT have an output that the HDD-200 can accept, only an ASI and DHEI output.

Furthermore, it isn't authorized for any of the general public.

What's Power Vu??? I didn't know HBO/Max, Show/TMC ot Encore/Starz changed to Power Vu? When did this occur? :confused:

New digital formats

These are new formats that have hit the "air" only in the last 6-8 mnts. When I was at PBS the Motorola's only hit the stations late July - Aug time period. They had to be installed no later than Aug 15 or lose the feeds. The PowerVu's are the new Scientific Atlanta digital units. These are very new as well. There have been out SD PowerVu"s out for a year or maybe longer. Cinemax HD must have gone away not long after the new moto's hit. As we can see the C-band guys are slowly having the programming taken away from them.

What's Power Vu??? I didn't know HBO/Max, Show/TMC ot Encore/Starz changed to Power Vu? When did this occur? :confused:

They didn't. PowerVu is an SA Encryption that has been available forever. It's the same as they use in their cable systems.

People became disenchanted with Motorola and Digicipher II's proprietary requirements YEARS AGO (especially as one was forced to use the Motorola HD Encoders which many feel are inferior) and thus S/A and Wegner have made their presence in the HD Encryption area.

These are new formats that have hit the "air" only in the last 6-8 mnts. When I was at PBS the Motorola's only hit the stations late July - Aug time period. They had to be installed no later than Aug 15 or lose the feeds. The PowerVu's are the new Scientific Atlanta digital units. These are very new as well. There have been out SD PowerVu"s out for a year or maybe longer. Cinemax HD must have gone away not long after the new moto's hit. As we can see the C-band guys are slowly having the programming taken away from them.

What drugs do you do because they are doing a great job with your reality.

Just because PBS has been changing their delievery doesnt mean anything iyou have mentioned is new.

HDNET has used Wegner since day one.

And here is a post from a forum in 2002 asking for help with a Scientific Atlanta PowerVu Satellite IRD http://www.austech.info/archive/index.php/t-23539.html

Last edited:
Cinemax HD hasn't gone Power Vu nor will it anytime soon. The problem with Max HD is the symbol rate and fec, what they are using cannot be received by a 4DTV unit. Now the Turner Networks have been Power Vu for a while but still have some running analog. Turner converted TCM, Boomerrang, CNN International and Court TV to PV and updated Turner South to the new PV. However the Time Warner side concerning HBO and Cinemax will stay DC II.

They didn't. PowerVu is an SA Encryption that has been available forever. It's the same as they use in their cable systems.

People became disenchanted with Motorola and Digicipher II's proprietary requirements YEARS AGO (especially as one was forced to use the Motorola HD Encoders which many feel are inferior) and thus S/A and Wegner have made their presence in the HD Encryption area.

I know, I was messing with him. Someone sipping on kool aid. :D

Not perfect

Sorry I have gotten some mis info. The 2 of you must be just "perfect". The drugs I have been taking are just all the wonderful comments that the cable guy and the fanatic have been giving out. They really love to play and play.

Just noticed that Hawaii's HD Pak is only $9.99 and includes all the Dish HD I want and doesn't include all the crap I don't want, but have to pay $20 for. Do I have to move to Hawaii to get an intelligent E* programming option?

Just noticed that Hawaii's HD Pak is only $9.99 and includes all the Dish HD I want and doesn't include all the crap I don't want, but have to pay $20 for. Do I have to move to Hawaii to get an intelligent E* programming option?

Wow, that is th best E* deal going. Save $10 and get the best HD without all the crap. I wonder of there are any address brokers in PR.

Wow, that is th best E* deal going. Save $10 and get the best HD without all the crap. I wonder of there are any address brokers in PR.

Let me Clarify the PR HD pack is the old HD pack at the same price($ 9.99),There is no VOOM or HGTV HD or FOOD HD,The only reason they are offer this to PR residents is because some genius engineer at HQ think that we are out of the 61.5 footprint.Naturally they made this assumptions without any test here. I had in the past month so many problems to activate HD Platinum costumers that I lost the count:no .

Last edited:
OK so I've read this entire thread, and I still don't know the answer to this question:

If I subscribe to America's Everything Pak, will I get Cinemax? Even though it's not listed on the website, as part of AEP, like HBO, Showtime, and Starz?