Status of Dishplayer (7100 and 7200 series) fees

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Peter Parker

Formerly Geronimo
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 9, 2003
I thought this was dealt with but perhaps not.

It has been reported in another forum that the $9.95 monthly fee is either "Back" or that,at the very least those poor souls who paid it all along will still have to pay it.

I don't want this to turn into yet another thread blasting Dish or the Dishplayer. But if you have info on who---if anyone has to pay please let us know.

Well, contrary to what I've posted previously, I just spoke to a CSR AND the CSR's
manager...

At some point in 2004, anyone adding a 7100 or 7200 to their account will have to
pay a $9.95 monthly fee--or the most they will get is 10 minutes of any program
they recorded. I added a 7100 to my account about 3 days ago, and sure enough
after finally getting all the software downloads--we were able to record a 30 minute
program, but it will only play 10 minutes of it back to us, before pausing and
putting up a message that I have to subscribe to PTV for $9.95/month.

The manager I spoke with said that for awhile some people were lucky enough to
come under some agreement where they would never have to pay the $9.95 fee.
BUT that under contract with Microsoft, because Microsoft helped them to develop
the 7100 and 7200, that Microsoft if requiring the payment of a $9.95 fee. (to Dishnetwork? Or is Dish still paying contractual fees on those **old** systems to
dear Billy Gates.) The manager said specifically Microsoft helped to develop the
'record onto disk technology', and implied that Microsoft is dictating the fee.

I challenged that I have a whole 8 hours of recording time, and have to pay $10,
while with a 510, I have 100 hours of recording time and only have to pay $5--that
it didn't make sense. He said the 510 was developed without Microsoft (I do
think it is Unix based) and Dishnetwork is only charging $4.98 (or whatever).

At this point, it all sounds like so much bull sh*t to me (I don't have to pay
a residual to Microsoft to write to my PCs diskdrive--why should anyone have
to pay a residual for an *8* G PVR hard drive???

So, I'll be sending a letter to Charlie, and a letter to somewhere at Microsoft.

I used to have a 7100 and just remember I was told that it was free lifetime pvr functions but that lifetime was 3 years. What a joke. Glad I have free lifetime with my 501

sent email got free PTV

Well, I sent email to ceo@dishnetwork.com & cc'd feedback@disnetwork.com
and whined at them something fierce about the PTV fee (10 bucks for
a *whole* 6.5 hours of recording time, whereas 510's users pay 5 bucks for
100 hours...why some subscribers and not others, loyal subscriber for 6
years, you've got to be kidding that you are still paying residuals to
basically have the 7100 OS read and write to a hard disk-1999
technology!...maybe I'll just have to go to Comcast Cable or DTV...)

When I got home from work today, my 6 year old was very happily
watching the last 20 minutes of the cartoon we'd recorded. I checked
my email, and sure enough a CSR from the "Executive Office" had
replied to my email and said he'd set the bits on my account to
give me free PTV.

He didn't mention for how long...but if it is only 3 years, I'll be amazed
if they are supporting 7100 PTV functions that far out.

On the 7100: I love the program guide interface, I love the ease of
setting up recording, I love the textual search capability, I love the
scrolling warning that its about to start recording.

Now if we can just figure out how to spin down the hard drive when
we aren't using it. (Your basic OS powersaving feature that's been
in PCs for quite some time....*sigh*)

:yes :yes :yes
gfr437

When you power off the Dishplayer, the drive stops spinning about 3 minutes later after it is done housekeeping with various data......

If you leave the green light lit, it is actively receiving and decoding data and CAN'T spin down......

gfr437 said:
When I got home from work today, my 6 year old was very happily
watching the last 20 minutes of the cartoon we'd recorded. I checked
my email, and sure enough a CSR from the "Executive Office" had
replied to my email and said he'd set the bits on my account to
give me free PTV.
Congrats, you did better than I did wrestling with the Dishplayer/PTV fee issue. I eventually switched to two DirecTivos and only paying $5/mo. as a DVR fee for my entire account is sure preferable to the $9.99 I was paying for a single Dishplayer 7200.

If you're tired of low recording capacity and you are "computer handy" you can upgrade your DP 7100/7200 hard drive pretty easily- I put a new 120GB drive into mine... the "How-To" that I used was found here.

One thing you might also remember is that when they came out yeah they did come out with Microsoft support so new customers that got it got free for like 3 yrs I believe the time frame was. But then Microsoft pulled out of it and the issue I have been noticing on residential accounts is that the codes for the free dishplayer fees have never been removed. Customers that would have had it taken off and inserted the 9.99 fee never had for god only knows what reason, believe one customer I saw the other day had on for 6 yrs more less. People that came in after that promotion were not aware of the discount/ didn't qualify and has continued on to today.

When i bought a dishplayer 7200 at a yard sale recently the guy told me the ptv fee was 9.99 i laugh at him told him i call ceocsr. I call them got the direct pohone number for that ceo csr and then had the wesel head csr trying to charge me 9.99 for it stighten out.

Though... the box never did activate and got replace with a refurb 7200 and did not even have to mention the ptv fee and got it free. like on my other box.

stonecold said:
When i bought a dishplayer 7200 at a yard sale recently the guy told me the ptv fee was 9.99 i laugh at him told him i call ceocsr. I call them got the direct pohone number for that ceo csr and then had the wesel head csr trying to charge me 9.99 for it stighten out.

Though... the box never did activate and got replace with a refurb 7200 and did not even have to mention the ptv fee and got it free. like on my other box.

If your user name is what I think it is.....I'll use one of his lines

WHAT???

Iceberg, could you send me an email @ bayroad1@excite.com? I'm new to this board and satellites, and would like to ask you a question, off the record. I read one of your replies regarding the reason you have the Bell system. Could you repeat that reason in your email so I'll know it's you?

Thanks.

sooners: You should edit your post to remove your email address before the SPAMbots pick it up and flood you!

You can click on his username, and send him a PM or email via the forum site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)