STB freezes since last software download

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jprosise

Original poster
Aug 23, 2004
Since I recieved the newest software download (3.20? I believe) my stb freezes and requires a soft reboot at least daily. I rarely had freezes with the old software (6.2). Is anyone else experienceing this? Has a fix been issued that I just havent recieved yet? I have been vooming for 4 months and have read all the negative stuff and felt lucky that my system was very stable. Now I am experiencing the aggrevation first hand.

Jerry in Nashville

And what kind of signal quality are you getting at those times when the box freezes up?
I am trying to see if there is a correlation between lockups and weak signal...

I'm having the same problem...I have great signal strength, and never had the picture freeze up prior to this. Has happened at least 3 times in the past 3 days. Always while attempting to change channels. Funny thing is, the surf bar will still change channel info, but the picture is frozen, and theres nothing you can do besides a soft reboot to 'unfreeze' it.

Surely there aren't just the two of us having the problem?

Yes it seems to happen on changing channels. The banner and picture stays frozen but the sound keeps going. My signal strength has always been good and when it freezes I really can’t check it until a reboot. I never had this many prior to the new software. I have a D* Sammy T360 and that also locks up from time to time and that problem has been said to be linked to low signal strength.

I have occasional lockups since the update. Here are the problems I have noticed:

1. Caller ID works intermittently (old numbers showing instead of current call)
2. I can turn my box on, but then I can't turn it off. When this happens, I can pull up the guide but it will not change channels. I can try to go to system settings (it displays the warning) but then drops back to previous screen.

Rebooting is the only thing that will fix this......

I'm getting a predictable freeze but it started happening before the software update. If I surf local channels from my local 7-1 to 7-2 I get an instant lockup. If I skip past 7-2 by entering the channel numbers before it an after it - no problem.

I've had mine freeze up every 3rd day it seems untill today. It froze up twice within 5 hours. The times it has locked up, the box has been on locals & sat so I don't think a signal level matters. The local I was on tonight has a signal level of 95% & the weekest local I get is 89%. My sat is always at 97%.

At first I thought that having the caller ID activated might have something to do with the lockups but for the last 5 days I have left it off. I'm going to try something else now that I think about it. I'm going to unplug the phone line & see if I get a lockup. I got quite a few phone calls today. You would think it would not have anything to di with it but hey! It's a damn computer right?

I have also noticed this since the software upgrade. This reminds me of whatever version I was on when I first got voom in April. I would get lockups all the time, then 6.20 came out and all issues resovled. Now this new version it locks up all the time. My signal is great 88+. Also I have noticed that I am not receiving some channels it says no signal available I check the signal and it is always at least 88. I do a soft reboot and the channels are working again. So who knows its just rather a pain to have to reset the box about once a day and to have nothing show up in the guide for at least an hour afterwords. Maybe a new update along the way or something got messed up with this update who knows.

Dan

Having done numerous reboots yesterday, while waiting for my software update last night, I found that I went from wishing there were no lockups to wishing that at LEAST you could reset the box from the remote???????

:)

Lob

Couch Patato said:
I've had mine freeze up every 3rd day it seems untill today. It froze up twice within 5 hours. The times it has locked up, the box has been on locals & sat so I don't think a signal level matters. The local I was on tonight has a signal level of 95% & the weekest local I get is 89%. My sat is always at 97%.

At first I thought that having the caller ID activated might have something to do with the lockups but for the last 5 days I have left it off. I'm going to try something else now that I think about it. I'm going to unplug the phone line & see if I get a lockup. I got quite a few phone calls today. You would think it would not have anything to di with it but hey! It's a damn computer right?

Well it has been four full days since I unpluged the phone line on my living roon reciever. Guess what? NO LOCKUP! Now get this. I didn't say this before but will now. Ever since the update, my bedroom reciever never locked up. It too was & still is pluged into the phone line. Within 2 houres after unpluging my phone line on the living room reciever the bedroom STB locked up. It has since locked up two more times. FYI:The living room jack is the first in line of the two jacks. I am now quite convinced that caller ID being activated with in the firmware has something major to do with the lockups. Simply put. The STB is locking up because of the votage a call delivers into the STB or something along those lines. If I'm right & your tired of the lockups then you know what to do until they get a new update out.:)

I don't have any phone line connected to any of my rcvrs, and have had no lockups since my updates, but it's only been 36hrs, so that's probably not enough for a comparison.

Lob

Couch Patato said:
Well it has been four full days since I unpluged the phone line on my living roon reciever. Guess what? NO LOCKUP!

Same thing here. My stb had been locking up twice a day with the same symptoms. Picture would freeze, audio would be fine, you could pull up the guide, but you couldn't change channels without rebooting the stb.

Turned off Called ID, unpluged the phone line, and not a freeze since. Definetly a bug in the 7.26 software.

Same Ol

Yep, same deal. Every day I come home from work and Reboot the STB. Ever since the new software, it never fails. Caller ID shows previous call as well. I'm praying for a DVR but I can't imagine what kind of problems we'll have when it rolls out. Shows will be recording at wrong times. When you hit pause it records, rewind will erase :)
What are you gonna do. We all knew the deal when signing on to a brand new baby company. All just growing pains....

Ditto!

Constant freezes and reboots are making me an unhappy camper along with big lapses in program guide time before the "big freeze"!

Count me in, too. I have had freezes almost everyday since the new software. I have two boxes and have disconnected the phone line on one of them to see if it helps. The VOOM management should be ashamed of themselves for sending out such buggy software. They better issue a fix soon.

I haven't had any freezes, but I've had almost daily problems with switching channels and/or the program planner. 75% of the time when the channel switches (either by me or the planner), the stb fails to push both audio and video (ya know, TV) to all the outputs. Hence, I've come home to find out that a program I wanted to maybe watch, I have to listen to since the video is not there. Wow.

VOOM needs a new software update to fix these various problems including caller ID. It is getting very annoying. Are you listening VOOM...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)