STB - On or Off?

SKrueger

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 18, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
Recently on a call to Voom regarding an OTA reception problem the CSR asked if I left the STB turned on all the time. I told her yes and she informed me that I needed to turn it off whenever it was not being used to assure that it received all downloads.

Has anyone heard this before? Is there really a problem with leaving the box on all the time? I successfully received the 7.26 update with the box on and since I use my ReplayTV with Voom the box really needs to be on.

Input, suggestions, comments?

Thanks

I have been told that by Voom CSR. Although when I first gotten Voom back in March I use to leave it, but now I have been turning it off. By turning it off it puts the stb in standby mode.I think by turning the stb off, which is standby mode, Voom feels you should have less problems when the new update is being downloaded.

Because downloads takes significant time (up to 40 minutes or even more), VOOM usually does them late at night (early in the morning) and only if the box is turned off (in stand by), so that if you are watching something, you wouldn't be disturbed. After a few days they may decide to do a "forced" update, which occurs regardless of the state of your box, in case you haven't received it earlier. In other words, you will get the update sooner or later, even if the box stays on all the time. But if you turn it off you may get it sooner.

By the way, welcome to the forum, Scott!

It's true. Also, I've discovered that my EPG does not stay current with the stb left on. It's pretty lame, but it happens. If I leave it on, I only get from 12-24 hours of EPG data, if I shut it off, I have 3 days overnight.

SKrueger said:
Recently on a call to Voom regarding an OTA reception problem the CSR asked if I left the STB turned on all the time. I told her yes and she informed me that I needed to turn it off whenever it was not being used to assure that it received all downloads.

Has anyone heard this before? Is there really a problem with leaving the box on all the time? I successfully received the 7.26 update with the box on and since I use my ReplayTV with Voom the box really needs to be on.

Input, suggestions, comments?

Thanks

Not true in my experience. I leave my boxes on all the time so TiVO can control them, and I got my software updates just fine, and the guide data stays current. Perhaps this used to be true in the early days.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts