STB Reboot

Uncle Flappy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 4, 2004
I am on my 3rd 922 for the same exact symptom so I find it difficult to blame the unit.

Around 50% of the time, a timed recording will end abruptly due to "STB Reboot". I have not experienced this anomaly while watching TV and it does not occur with any regularity. Half of the timers are fine; others quit anywhere from 7 to 55 minutes into the recording. Those that quit often resume post reboot and I see two separate instances for the same show.

Do you folks have any idea what may be causing this? I also have a 522 in the bedroom and am not experiencing the same issue.

Thanks for your help!

Do you have the 922 in an enclosed cabinet? Sounds like it could be an overheating issue to me.

Do you have the 922 in an enclosed cabinet? Sounds like it could be an overheating issue to me.

Thanks for the reply, Lakebum.

I thought of that - I am in an enclosed cabinet but I leave the door open and have an exhaust fan. The tech folks @ Dish told me that if it were overheating, I would be getting an different error message. I am not sure if that is true.

Just to be sure, is there a way to check thhe maximum temp? If so what is the maximum recommended and where shall I look?

Thanks again.

- Flappy

Thanks for the reply, Lakebum.

I thought of that - I am in an enclosed cabinet but I leave the door open and have an exhaust fan. The tech folks @ Dish told me that if it were overheating, I would be getting an different error message. I am not sure if that is true.

Just to be sure, is there a way to check thhe maximum temp? If so what is the maximum recommended and where shall I look?

Thanks again.

- Flappy
menu 6 3 counters and page down to page ten you will see low high and average temp, oops! thats for the 722. Got confused jumping back and forth from 722 and 922 threads.

Last edited:
I moved the unit out of the cabinet and set it out in open air. HDMI and other cables still reach.

Is there a temperature threshold I should keep in mind? I remember seeing a temp on the hard drive but not for the system board.

I have had a couple of STB reboots this week also. One right in the middle of Good Morning America this morning 7 minutes till the end of the show that I was watching delayed . Another one happened during the nightly news.

Looks the like HDD high temp is 129 and the low 111. Average 122. Are those numbers in the acceptable range?

Interesting HIFI. I was going to say that looks pretty good. That is almost spot on what my 922 has for temps (and it is in an open rack).

So I wouldn't think that is the reason for your rebooting issue.

Any chance that you have slight drops in power at your house? I know when the electric co was doing work in my area last year I would end up losing power for brief periods (usually 30 seconds or less) almost every afternoon. You could test with a cheap digital alarm clock with no battery in it to see if it is flashing when you get home and match up the time since the alarm clock reboot to the time of the 922 reboot. Just a thought.

I had the same problem with the box rebooting and is in an enclosed cabinet. There was some issue with the HDMI so I used component cables going to my Yamaha receiver and I haven't had a reboot in over 2 weeks now. The Yamaha is then connected via HDMI to TV. Haven't seen any loss in quality at all in picture.

Only two problems with that is you lose the ability to get 1080p events and you have to connect an optical cable from the 922 to the receiver (this isn't a big deal except that if you're anything like me there are already way too many cables behind the entertainment cabinet) :)

...Any chance that you have slight drops in power at your house?
I thought of that but none of the appliances lost power. I even moved to a different outlet when I pulled the unit out of the cabinet.

clonedbhanda said:
There was some issue with the HDMI so I used component cables going to my Yamaha receiver and I haven't had a reboot in over 2 weeks now.
I thought of this too but the reboots seem to happen only when recording events and the unit is off; nothing should be hitting the HDMI cable.

Looks like I had another STB reboot. The Big Lebowski started recording at 7:45am on TV2 but rebooted at 9:36am. It resumed the recording at 9:37am and completed at 9:48am. So much for the closed cabinet theory.

Maybe the initial installation was bad?

I have a single coaxial feed from the dish to a splitter at the receiver. The splitter has two feeds - one for TV1; one for TV2.

Please see the pictures - is this setup correctly?

Attachments

• P1000147.jpg
    P1000147.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 131
  • P1000146.jpg
    P1000146.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 124
Mine used to happen during recordings and when the unit was off as well. When I turned it on, it would show the Dish/Sling logo with starting up....

Mine used to happen during recordings and when the unit was off as well. When I turned it on, it would show the Dish/Sling logo with starting up....

I'll try swapping the HDMI cable but I am not ready to go back to component and optical. My 522 is still working lilke a champ (HDMI) and recording the show fine when the 922 bombs.

Maybe the initial installation was bad?

I have a single coaxial feed from the dish to a splitter at the receiver. The splitter has two feeds - one for TV1; one for TV2.

Please see the pictures - is this setup correctly?

That isn't actually a splitter. It is a separator. That is how most dual tuner installs are done and should not be a problem at all.

I think i'm out of ideas. Sorry.

Looks like I have this resolved.

My Sony LCD came with an Internet appliance for streaming music, checking the weather, etc. I had it in in between the TV and Onyo receiver (HDMI). It must have caused some sort of feedback because after I removed it, the STB reboots stopped.

My recording success rate is now 12 for 12; I was only at a 50% success rate prior.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts