Stealth antenna getting power from Motorola box?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

FunkyBoss

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Mar 23, 2004
Chicagoland, IL
The way I understand it, the ChannelMaster Stealth antenna that comes with Voom is supposed to be an amplified power antenna. I have a similar antenna in my attic that I bought 6 months ago at RadioShack that is powered and has an in-line power thingy that needs to plug into an electrical outlet. I was expecting the same from the ChannelMaster Stealth, but my installer didn't use one. When I asked him about it, he said that the amplifier board in the antenna can get it's power from the Motorola satellite box. Does this sound correct? It doesn't to me, but I may be wrong.

The reason I ask is becuase the Radio Shack "stealth-like" antenna I have in my attic is getting better reception then the ChannelMaster Stealth that they installed outside on my roof (probably a few feet higher then the RS too)!

I was told the same thing by my installer. He didn't do anything that would cause me to doubt him. He actually explained it to me as he handed me the power supply for the Stealth still in the box. If you are using a diplexer to bring the sat&ota signal to the STB that maybe why you are noticing a difference in the PQ.

Doesn't sound right to me either. Didn't have them install the stealth due to the fact that I already had a good functioning set-up in place. But I kept the stealth, and it comes in 2 pieces. The amp had to be installed in the antenna, and I assume it came with a plug in unit for indoors like all other pre-amps do. If you did not observe the installer open up and install unit into the stealth, you are using a regular unamplified antenna only.

I do have an amp that the installer gave me, but I'm not using it because the stealth is inadequate. I'm not sure if it came with the stealth, or if the installer just left it behind.

Stealth comes with a standard power cube that connects to a splitter looking thing that one end goes to the antenna, and one end to the reciever.

JaydeeD said:
Stealth comes with a standard power cube that connects to a splitter looking thing that one end goes to the antenna, and one end to the reciever.

Hmmm... Is there also a piece that plugs into an electrical outlet? Does anyone out here have the amplified stealth antenna working well for them with it plugged into an electrical outlet somehow?

definitely boosted my signal when the amp was plugged in. I believe you need to have the amp module in the stealth antenna itself also. Sorry, I don't know the technical names for these things but the installer swapped the circuit board inside the stealth antenna.

to clarify, yes there is an ac adaptor that plugs into the wall outlet.

The Stealth 3010 information I downloaded from Channel Master indicated the preamp is an optional circuit board that can be installed inside the antenna. Power to the preamp is back fed through the co-ax using a transformer and cable insertion device that does look like a splitter. I'm not sure how Installs Inc decides who gets an amp and who doesn't. I didn't and my OTA signal is s**t.

Mine was installed yesterday. The tech had to open the antenna and change out the original board with the amplified one. Yes, there is a blocking capacitor that allows a dc voltage to be applied to the coax, by the cube power supply. The preamp board receives its power off the coax. It (the preamp) does make a difference but I'm changing my antenna to an 8bay with a CM 7777 preamp instead. My installer wanted $200 more to install this antenna that I was supplying. @#%@#$^#$^!!!!

According to what my installer told me, the stealth antenna can be used in both modes:
1) Unpowered - No amp module in the antenna, no power supply
2) Powered - amp module in the antenna, and power supply feeding the line

Walter L. said:
According to what my installer told me, the stealth antenna can be used in both modes:
1) Unpowered - No amp module in the antenna, no power supply
2) Powered - amp module in the antenna, and power supply feeding the line

Yep, that makes sense. What doesn't is that my installer said he put the amp module in the antenna, but said that a power supply was not needed to power the module in the antenna and that it was powered from the satellite (Motorola) box. I think I'll give them a call later today and tell them I need the in-line power adapter.

See Funky Boss - told you so--Have some real good people on this forum don't we? Have been watching other peoples responses to this just to make sure that I didn't mislead you. I was 99-49/100 % sure(like ivory soap).

This is what happened to mine...
First installer came out mounted the Stealth but did not put in the amplified card and did plug in a power supply on the diplexor or splitter from but coax (OTA and dish) which was plugged into a wall outlet.
I was not getting good OTA then.

Service call came over a few days later. This guy knew much more about everything Voom related (I think)...he checked everything and immediately saw that all was wrong.
He opened the Stealth and showed me the card that was in there. It had nothing at all, no resistor thingys or anything, just a plastic card with a few plates. He changed the card to the amplified card, which comes with it BTW. Then removed the power supply and changed the splitter to a different kind. He said that the Stealth gets it's power from the STB box. He also stated that the way it was setup that previous splitter/power cord was probably fried already thus not doing anything anyway. You need to have the amplified card in the actual Stealth antenna.
Now I get much better OTA signals...!!! Go figure!

andrzej said:
Can someone confirm that this is indeed the case? Somehow I doubt it.

That's what my installer told me and he also told me he is the QA Voom installer for Atlanta. He left the Channel Master Stealth Amplifier in the box outside, the cord is in it and a board that is pretty plain, nothing like on the box.

Most importantly he left the instructions that say when using diplexers, the powering of the preamp is provided by the satellite receiver through the 40321FD diplexer. So I would say its true.

We seem to be going around in circles here. To the best of my knowledge all pre-amps need a power source external from the STB. Never heard of any STB (or tv) supplying the power for the amp.

If you are using two cables (one for satellite & one for OTA) you must use the power adapter for the stealth antenna. If you are using the diplexors you must power the stealth from the STB. If you use the power adapter the STB will NOT be able to switch between the even and odd tranponders.

I am 10-15 miles from the OTA transmitters. The stealth antenna is installed on my roof with a clear line of site. I am not using the diplexer. The installer said he was going to install an amp, but when I go into the signal strengths, I have 96 for the satellite, and around 16 for OTA. I have previously been able to at least get a picture by just using a cheap indoor UHF antenna. Would an amp help this signal, or is the stealth antenna very sensitive if it's not pointed correctly?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)