Stealth Antenna Problems

RickyMac

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 7, 2004
Phenix City, AL
Installed yesterday. It seems that by turning my antenna I can get CBS, NBC and UPN, no Fox or ABC or by turning another way I get Abc, NBC, UPN, and Fox, but no CBS. Yje Amp is installed. I get nothing without the amp. Do I need the larger antenna? If so, how do I arrange to get the larger antenna? Thanks

Interesting. I think you have two options.
#1. Call Voom and tell them your situation. There is a policy where they will take back the "free" antenna and replace it with a more powerful one. I found this in another thread---"That is the one that they will install first. I live about 40 miles outside of Chicago, and that antenna picked up most of the OTA, but not all. I called Voom to let them know that I was missing some locals, and they sent the installers out to replace the first antenna with an 8 ft Winegard Yagi at no charge. I now get about 20 digital locals, (only about 5 are HD)."

#2. Try a different OTA antenna. Radio Shack seems to be the place to go. They have some nice equipment, and will take anything back, no questions asked.

RickyMac said:
Installed yesterday. It seems that by turning my antenna I can get CBS, NBC and UPN, no Fox or ABC or by turning another way I get Abc, NBC, UPN, and Fox, but no CBS. Yje Amp is installed. I get nothing without the amp. Do I need the larger antenna? If so, how do I arrange to get the larger antenna? Thanks

I don't know the technical aspects. But I wonder if it is not possible to have two of the small stealths mounted on the same mast and pointing in different directions with the signals combined. Would this work with the Yje Amp?

Robert Newman said:
I don't know the technical aspects. But I wonder if it is not possible to have two of the small stealths mounted on the same mast and pointing in different directions with the signals combined. Would this work with the Yje Amp?

Robert,

Welcome. That's very tricky and not simple since it create more troubles. There was a guy who actually did it and posted a link here in this forum. I read through it. If I find the post I will post later.

Robert Newman said:

This would create multipaths galore, ghosts in NTSC analog OTA, and dropoffs in ATSC HD.

If the stations in one group in one direction is in a lower band than the second group, you can hook up two specific band yagis pointed in differnt directions with a Channel Master "Jointenna" coupler.

Otherwise, you will need a rotor.

RickyMac said:

As others have stated, it sounds like your station towers are in diffent areas. The Stealth is supposed to be somwhat multi-directional, but if stations come from the opposite direction you'll probably need a rotor.

I'm using a SquareShooter antenna which recieves from the front and back and basically works by picking up reflected signals. The SS is intended more for an urban environment which I'm in. I actually have mine pointed at a neighbors house and it picks up station 180 degrees from each other.

Bill

Stealth Antenna Problem Update

I called VOOM, they said that would notify the installer so that I could get the larger antenna. Also, they stated that the larger antenna is not free, but that they will pay 60.00 towards the antenna.

The cost might have something to do with the fact that I am on the rental program, I am not sure.

Radio Shack has a large antenna, does anyone recommend this antenna?

I'll be interested to see what follows, especially when Sean reads the thread again. I think he has an antenna from Radio Shack that works well. I'm using the Stealth that came with the original installation, and there are a few quirks, but I haven't done anything yet. In the Denver area, most of the locals broadcast from 295 degrees. I get NBC clear as a bell, but CBS is horrible, and they are on the same path. I have an unobstructed line of view, so I have to think that maybe CBS is not broadcasting at the same power as NBC, but I don't know for sure.

Also--check out the posts from Mr. Biggles. He has a Square Shooter that works well for him.

Mr. Biggles...how far are you from the towers? I'd love to have a SS for it size, but Im about 35-40 miles away.

StevenD said:
Mr. Biggles...how far are you from the towers? I'd love to have a SS for it size, but Im about 35-40 miles away.

23 miles from one direction and 6-7 miles from 180 degrees the opposite direction.

Bill

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)