Stellar Amazon PQ

KAB

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 20, 2005
Fishers, IN
On top of the fact Amazon has become our GO TO store for just about everything, My Wife sprung for Prime on my Birthday. Spent the last few days watching S1 of Downton Abby. IMO, the PQ is THE BEST I've seen on my 60" Plasma (via Roku) aside from BD...and not by much. YES, only 720p for those who think it's inferior to 1080i (which I've never abided by). Prime has been an OUTSATNDING surprise, not only PQ, but content. In combo with the shipping advantage and quicker appearance of MANY current series, I don't know why anyone would want Netflix. FYI.

Nice birthday gift for sure Kab.I agree about the quality of Amazon streaming.The HD looks excellent,the sd isn't bad either,at least on a 32" screen.

My only gripe about Prime has been lack of surround sound on a bunch of devices, notably the xbox. Other than that, I agree, it's a great service.

You have to have decent speed though. At 5mbps down, Amazon is destroyed by Netflix HD, and I just dont get that. No way should their stream require so much bandwidth to look decent. I watch my BBC shows on the Sony 790, and the PQ aint that great.

We use prime & netflix. Love them both, my only wish is that prime will someday have closed captioning.

You have to have decent speed though. At 5mbps down, Amazon is destroyed by Netflix HD, and I just dont get that. No way should their stream require so much bandwidth to look decent. I watch my BBC shows on the Sony 790, and the PQ aint that great.
That's just not true by any degree, at least for me with my 5mbps AT&T DSL on a Roku. Have yet to have even a hiccup. Must be a problem with your Sony or something else on your end, perhaps your modem. I had one that would barely deliver HD (a 5-Wire, four port modem/router) Switched to another old school basic I had on hand with a Linksys router and all was well.

Last edited:
On top of the fact Amazon has become our GO TO store for just about everything, My Wife sprung for Prime on my Birthday. Spent the last few days watching S1 of Downton Abby. IMO, the PQ is THE BEST I've seen on my 60" Plasma (via Roku) aside from BD...and not by much. YES, only 720p for those who think it's inferior to 1080i (which I've never abided by). Prime has been an OUTSATNDING surprise, not only PQ, but content. In combo with the shipping advantage and quicker appearance of MANY current series, I don't know why anyone would want Netflix. FYI.

What he said.

I totally agree with you about Amazon Primes great pq. But I also sub to Netflix and feel that the two compliment each other very well. Yes there is overlap, but they both have plenty of exclusive stuff that makes having both worth it. By the way, Netflix SuperHD is really amazing too.

I agree with Kab and tampa8,prior to getting Charter internet,we had ATT dsl 6MB.The Amazon picture quality was just as good with that speed as it is with 30MB cable.The comparisons coming from a Roku2 xd.

That's just not true by any degree, at least for me with my 5mbps AT&T DSL on a Roku. Have yet to have even a hiccup. Must be a problem with your Sony or something else on your end, perhaps your modem. I had one that would barely deliver HD (a 5-Wire, four port modem/router) Switched to another old school basic I had on hand with a Linksys router and all was well.

The speed reports back 5.5 on the Amazon app. I can fire up Orphan Black, Dr Who, or any Supernatural I own, and the do not look as good as Hemlock Grove for example on Netflix. I also have a Roku 1 and Roku 2. The only time Ive seen Amazon beat Netflix HD at my speed, is with a file download to the tiVo, that looked awesome. BTW, I also have a PS3 and the results are still the same, as well as on my Oppo 103.

I guess all those were setup wrong. Since you and I never agree on much, especially when it comes to what denotes PQ, Ill leave you to yet another "KAB is always right thread".

I guess all those were setup wrong. Since you and I never agree on much, especially when it comes to what denotes PQ, Ill leave you to yet another "KAB is always right thread".
LOL. Works for me. You might also was to take a wee bit of time to consider why you appear to be alone in this thread. My speeds were also OK with the bad modem. So....

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)