Still trying to tune in 1st sat

Status
Please reply by conversation.

slider

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 11, 2012
Colorado
If my meter (First Strike) shows Sig:80% and Q 65% but there is no "Locked" is there a possibility I've got it? No matter what I try this seems to be the best I can get. ALSO: To get the above I've got the meter set like this---- L:107.3W F:03737 SR: 195 10 LO: 10750 LNB: 13 22KHz:eek:ff Now when I go to the menu on the Micro HD the only 107.3 in the list is "107.3w K AnikF1R" Wouldn't that be a KU band & I'm trying for a C-band? So do I need to add to the list to display my TP? I've sure gone to a lot of trouble to be so lost.

If you are connected to a C-band LNBF, the LO Setting is incorrect. You have the LO set to match a KU-band standard LNB instead of the correct C-band LO of 5150.

If you update the microHD to current firmware, the satellite is available in the channel lost and additional updates.

My lnbf is the BSC621 (C/KU). I just changed the LO to 5150 and all quality is gone. I thought F: 3737 was a C-band so why did I have quality with the wrong LO? Can Someone tell me the entire settings I should have to tune in C band on 107.3W? That's my southernmost sat and I wanted to start out with just one clear c band channel. Brian, I'll read up now on updating the Micro. I just received it from you this week. I sent my old one in for repairs.

Like we've been saying, the 621 is tricky to get right. Once, when I was able to luck onto just the right focal length and skew, I got just about everything that was possible to get. So the thing will work well if you get it right.

I'm not familiar with using meters. I will say that, for speed and convenience and pretty good accuracy, wireless radio headphones work for me. I set my receiver to beep on scan so the stronger the signal the more rapid and higher pitched the beeps get. I hook the sending unit to audio out, set the receiver to a hot transponder on the satellite you are going for, and then go out and adjust for the best beeps. The wireless headphones are cheap and they leave both hands free to adjust this and that. And, when you hear the beeps, you know that's the signal at the receiver you are using.

A guy on another site a couple of years ago suggested the method. After dragging extension cords, little tvs and receivers up ladders, I was ready to try something else. This wireless headphone thing just works. All I bring up to my dish is one crescent wrench

Wow now I've got a c-band list. At 4158 and 3998 my sig is 90 and Q is 68 to 72. 3939 sig=90 but Q=36. The rest of them are very low. I don't know what that middle number is (30000s/s). Are these channels I can watch? I haven't figured out how yet. Guess I'll read the manual again.

Now I'm gettin all excited! I've got the channel list up with the Telemundo channels and the little screen on the upper right. Just have to figure out how to show it full screen.

Pressed the menu button and got full screen. Perfect picture! I know how elementry this is for you guys but it's monumental for me.

slider said:
Pressed the menu button and got full screen. Perfect picture! I know how elementry this is for you guys but it's monumental for me.

Your good its not elementary it's not easy. This is great news. It comes across a lot on satguys that its easy but a lot of people have had years and years of fun so it's easy to them.

It's so fun hard to put in words. Good job :)

Thanks wallyhts! Got a problem though---No audio. I've up'ed the audio on the micro and the audio cord is plugged into the socket I usually run my xm through so I know it's live. Now every couple of minutes I get a fast four or five tones that sound like a telephone dialer. Is that just these channels or is there something more for me to do?

More than likely it is not encryption. You may want to experiment with the audio button on your remote control to see if you can get something besides the cue tones that you are probably hearing.

Yes the audio button did it. I needed to change it to stereo Spanish as it was set on Eng. I'm a bit confused about Lyngsat lists though. It doesn't show any Telemundo but some Canadian stuff and The Weather Station.

Last edited:
Thanks Blindowl. That list is a lot easier. But now I'm more confused. When I got Telemundo I was doing a blind scan of 107.3 W. (I thought). I don't even see Telemundo anywhere on that list for 105.0w or 107.3w. I'm thrilled to be getting something but I'd like to be doing it on purpose. I think I'll go for a C-band only lnbf partially to lessen the confusion. Guess I'll have to pick this up in January as it's time for me to hit the road.

Last edited:
slider said:
Thanks Blindowl. That list is a lot easier. But now I'm more confused. When I got Telemundo I was doing a blind scan of 107.3 W. (I thought). I don't even see Telemundo anywhere on that list for 105.0w or 107.3w. I'm thrilled to be getting something but I'd like to be doing it on purpose. I think I'll go for a C-band only lnbf partially to lessen the confusion. Guess I'll have to pick this up in January as it's time for me to hit the road.

http://www.lyngsat.com/AMC-18.html

You are on 105W. C Band only is a good idea to start.

Thanks T4Runner I see that on Lyngsat now. Still don't understand why "The List" only has NASA stations listed in c-band on 105.0w. Another question: After the TP freq. and V or H there is another number. What is that and how would I use it? Example: 107.3W ANIK F1R C, TP for Weather network is 4100 V 28346. What is the 28346 and how would I use that? Also what would be a real decent C-band only (V & H) lnbf for under say $100 that is readily available? I see some for $25 to $40 but I'm leery of buying more crap. I don't mind paying less but would sure like some quality.

The BSC621 you have now works just fine for C-band. I've used one for many years. They're just tough to tune for C and KU at the same time. As long as your receiver is not sending it a 22khz tone the switch built into the BSC621 should be connecting the receiver to the C-band LNB.

Last edited:
Slider, The last number is the symbol rate. If instead of having the receiver do a blind scan on a satellite you can have it search just a single transponder on that sat. Most receivers are pretty good at blind scanning a particular sat and locking in channels but, they sometimes miss a few. A manual scan picks them up.

I thought that's what it might be-- SR. I entered everything correctly this time into my meter & gave the dish a little bump & it locked right onto 107.3W 4100 (The Weather Network). So now I've got my southern sat locked it. Too bad I have to get ready to blast off for about 3 1/2 months (trucking biz) but I'll have some fun when I get home. I appreciate all the help!

Last edited:
Low & behold I've got KU as well. Guess all that fiddling paid off even not knowing anything.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)