Stock Quotes

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
To celebrate the opening of our new Stock Forum, I have added stock quotes to our main index page.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/index.php

For now I am calling this feature "SatelliteGuys Top of The Line Stocks"

This is actually the first PHP code I have written for the most part by myself, and while the stock quotes work great, I need to figure out how to adjust the fonts, sizes, location and colors in PHP. So consider it a beta for now. :D

You may remember in the past we had a Java stock ticker, but it did not last long because the Java was locking up some users browsers. This new stock quote is all PHP and uses no Java.

Enjoy the new forum and feature guys!

Any chance this could be a user configurable option? On by default for guests and those who want it, but able to be disabled for those who don't?

I use broadband. Is it delaying things on dialup or is it just an aesthetic argument.

No user options on it (yet) :)

This is why it is only on one page. :D

I am kind of proud of myself that I got it working as I said I have never written anything in PHP before. :D

Geronimo said:
I use broadband. Is it delaying things on dialup or is it just an aesthetic argument.
No it doesn't delay...it's only a few bytes for the text so that's not the issue. Right now it doesn't fit format-wise with anything else on the site. Scott said he's working on it and that's fine.

It's just that it pushes everything else on the page down. I come here for the Dish/DirecTV groups and the arcade. Now whenever I come here I can't just go directly to them I have to scroll down a ways. Maybe if the quotes were in a small box across the screen above the forum jump, search, etc links it would be better.

Scott, I also noticed that the HTML code produced for the stock quotes isn't right. You have that entire line clear at the top of the file before the HTML and TITLE sections when it should be in the BODY. It already has a few problems with non-IE browsers and just having that outside of the BODY might cause more.

Yeah I know I need to figure how to get the PHP to work within the templates the site uses. I am well aware of it and working on it. :D

If anyone knows PHP and the vBulletin template system I am all ears. :D

Scott Greczkowski said:
Yeah I know I need to figure how to get the PHP to work within the templates the site uses. I am well aware of it and working on it. :D

If anyone knows PHP and the vBulletin template system I am all ears. :D
Add the PHP function call to the header style instead of where ever you have it now if you still want it at the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.