Stop Acusing people of piracy just because they ask a question

Status
Please reply by conversation.
rjc3895 said:
I thought Al Gore invented the Internet:D
LOL he wished he did. Ok, lets get a little learning out of this thread :) For those that want to know the true history of the web, take a look at this link.

http://public.web.cern.ch/Public/Co...ts/WorldWideWeb/WebHistory/WebHistory-en.html

And after your done doing that, thank the awesome mods on this forum for the help they give us in pursuing our hobby! Iceberg and Pete, you folks rock. As Scott said, he gave you the keys to the place and trusted the housecleaning to you. Your doing a great job, though I have to say one of you needs to wash the windows :D) Keep up the good work, many people are flipping channels and watching feeds because of your patience and persistance in solving thier problems.

Thank You Iceberg for your reply. It also makes the other guy look belittled in my eyes. I dont know enough but want to learn. He seems to have more knowledge than I do. Thank You again, look foward to ur help in the near future. Ed:)

What I find funny is that most people who have been banned don't take the time to do any kind of homework, just reading the topics in the forum alone is the most valuble resource for anyone wanting to get into TRUE FTA and I thank the moderators here for doing just that.

I do believe that FTA receivers are purposely made to accept Hacking programs but thats just my conspiracy theory, If a company comes out with a STB that is pure receiver that can blind scan lightning quick and accurately and also configured with the FTA enthusiast in mind, I would be the first person to look into buying one and I'm sure many forum members here would too.

The original post was foolish , and the moderators do have the right to question all new members whose intentions might be to hack, thus the follow up question what satellite and channels are you looking to get ?

I look at some posted questions that look suspicious and I'm already betting on the odds that they'll be banned within 24 hours, yeah I've been wrong when it turns out to be an honest question, but I know the moderators aren't nieve and are looking at best interest of the forum.

You moderators are doing a fine job. If a guy asks about something that has no legitimate use, or looks suspicious, you have a right to question them. This is your place and you have a right to control it. For those interested in genuine FTA this site is unequalled and I'd like to see it remain that way.

Let be fair to the original poster, here is my point of view:
Sling-Blade asked for the review, then other member started talking about more memory for the EPG, then Sling-Blade stated "he/she heard to leave the receiver at channel 100 to get EPG", then Iceberg stated "why channel 100, unless you are stealing Dish Network".

For the original poster: if he leaves the receiver at channel 100 for downloading EPG from Dish Network, there is nothing wrong with that. Just using the guide for his/her personal use, that's perfectly fine.

For the majority of the members: is it weird if the person leaves the receiver at channel 100 just for downloading the guide? If he has legitimate Dish Network sub, the guide should be available one his/her receiver. Sound weird, leading to the assumption that the person is doing something else with his FTA DVB receiver.

For me: the original just asked for the review and talked about the Dish Network EPG, I don't see he crossed the line. Things started hot when the assumption of hacking was brought in.
Let cool down, life is short....be nice to each others....:)
FtaRock

We are nice to each other, but HACKERS and trouble makers need not apply :)

ftarock said:
Let be fair to the original poster, here is my point of view:
Sling-Blade asked for the review, then other member started talking about more memory for the EPG, then Sling-Blade stated "he/she heard to leave the receiver at channel 100 to get EPG", then Iceberg stated "why channel 100, unless you are stealing Dish Network".

For the original poster: if he leaves the receiver at channel 100 for downloading EPG from Dish Network, there is nothing wrong with that. Just using the guide for his/her personal use, that's perfectly fine.
huh? That makes no sence at all unless you are stealing Dish Network.

For the majority of the members: is it weird if the person leaves the receiver at channel 100 just for downloading the guide? If he has legitimate Dish Network sub, the guide should be available one his/her receiver. Sound weird, leading to the assumption that the person is doing something else with his FTA DVB receiver.
exactly. Why would someone just leave it on channel 100 for gits and shiggles. I sure as heck don't. And also, channel 100 (Dish Home) normally isn't channel 100 in your box unless you have downloaded illegal software that makes the channel sequence like Dish's. I have Dish home in my box (since it is unencrypted) but its channel 212 in mine.

For me: the original just asked for the review and talked about the Dish Network EPG, I don't see he crossed the line. Things started hot when the assumption of hacking was brought in.
Let cool down, life is short....be nice to each others....:)
FtaRock
but why would someone legal care about the EPG? I've seen his posts and all of them seem shady (IMO)

Also, he's been online now twice sine the original post yet he doesn't want to respond?

Last edited:
"huh? That makes no sence at all unless you are stealing Dish Network"

Oh sh*(*t, It appears you are still in bad smooth, making another assumption. I just speak out my opinion, you are now thinking I am hacking Dish Network. Does not look fair for me at all.
Once again, IMO using the data personally is not illegal. I have been using TSReader with TwinHan card to download 7 days EPG in xml and save it to my computer. Am I a hacker? Hell NO.
If you re-read my post, I am not picking sides. I don't support hacking. I don't support personal attack either (there are few messages in the threads look personal attack to me).
When I read the thread, I feel sorry for the guy. The picture is 1 guy against the whole board, some replies are not related to the sat stuff, but personal attack instead. I am a kind of person who always stands up for fairness. When I see this, I voice my opion that others might not like.
You need a beer to cool down brother....:)
FtaRock

He didn't acuse you either... I read that that as 'you' in the generic sense.

The only time I've ever benefitted from EPG is when there was a BEV / Dish channel temporarily in the clear. I didn't have to tune to any particular channel to get the guide info.

You'd have to agree that an extended EPG in a STB is all but useless for FTA use here in the US.

ftarock said:

Oh sh*(*t, It appears you are still in bad smooth, making another assumption. I just speak out my opinion, you are now thinking I am hacking Dish Network. Does not look fair for me at all.........................................

FtaRock

I couldnt let this one go :D

Iceburg never said that "you" were hacking dish, he simply said why was someone keeping their receiver at 100 (which is not even 100 unless you have "hacked" software to change the numbering scheme). (although he said "you" it was more of a rhetorical question).

Personally I do believe at times I have not agree'd with the severe "no hacking" stance because it was not obvious to me that they were "hacking" vs not knowing what questions NOT to ask. But ya know what, I am not a mod on this board and when I go to someones place (board/house/place of business) I have to go by their rules or I can be asked to leave.

As a new user/hobbiest I always read a lot before I ever ask a question. I have literally read hundreds of posts on here before I ever posted anything. HOWEVER had I not done this it would have been very simple to ask a question that could have been taken as a "hacking" question simply because I did not know what was/was not forbidden (due to ignorance of the subject matter on my part).

A few post back a new user said that he was somewhat leery of asking questions because they might be taken as hacking questions. I understand that as I also felt the same way. (I am feeling much better about it now though :D )

ftarock said:

Sounds like a great idea for everyone :D

Just my .02 though

When someone asks a question that the mods feel is “questionable”, we have closed the thread and have asked the OP to PM us with what they want to pick up. Some posts are blatant hack questions and get closed and the user is banned

The post in question I closed…Did I ban him? Not that I was aware of (after all he did post after that) :D

Here are three examples of posts and how I judge them

-I have an old Dish 500 and want to hook it up to my Pansat 3500. What settings do I need in the recever?
This would be asked “what do you want to pick up”? Or an answer with the link to “what can I get with a 18” dish or Dish500?” or something of the nature

-I hooked my Dave Dish to Echo 7 and all I get is a couple channels. The rest are scrambled
This one would be closed and the OP asked in a PM what he plans to pick up. As I have mentioned in lots of threads before, some people who are up to no good use “Dave”, “Beverly” and use the satellite name (Echo 6,8 Echo 9) instead of 110, 119

-I just downloaded Bin XYZ666091GWIOP. How come it won’t auto roll? I have a DP500 at Echo 7 & 6,8. How come nothing works? HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLP. Any help would make me happy
This one is obvious hack talk and closed and user banned.

As I have also mentioned, most (probably 95%) of the hack posts are a posters 1st or 2nd post. So don’t worry about thinking your question might be wrong or may be perceived as hack talk. We just take the precautionary route.

Oh sh*(*t, It appears you are still in bad smooth, making another assumption. I just speak out my opinion, you are now thinking I am hacking Dish Network. Does not look fair for me at all.
Once again, IMO using the data personally is not illegal. I have been using TSReader with TwinHan card to download 7 days EPG in xml and save it to my computer. Am I a hacker? Hell NO.
Chill man. I never called you a hacker. I never called the OP a hacker. I have a fixed dish at 91. Does that make me a hacker? No. I have it set up for the audio stations on ExpressVu. I have one receiver dedicated to the audio so when I’m doing work around the house, I have it on. Heck I am one who doesn’t like to load the newest legal software into a box. My Pansat 1500 I had for 2 years until I decided to download the “new” software (that was 9 months old) :D
Heck once in a blue moon I like to scan the 2 dish satellites to see what new channels are coming. Even though they are scrambled, I can still see the satellite info. That’s how I did the “Whats on Nimiq3” post in the Canadian section a while back. I scanned the transpnders on 91 and logged the names.

You need a beer to cool down brother
I’ll take a Cherry Coke instead (haven’t drank any alcohol since 1998)

Let agree on our disagree.....:)
Every thing is cool
FtaRock

Iceberg said:
Chill man. I never called you a hacker. I never called the OP a hacker. I have a fixed dish at 91. Does that make me a hacker? No. I have it set up for the audio stations on ExpressVu. I have one receiver dedicated to the audio so when I’m doing work around the house, I have it on. Heck I am one who doesn’t like to load the newest legal software into a box. My Pansat 1500 I had for 2 years until I decided to download the “new” software (that was 9 months old) :D
Heck once in a blue moon I like to scan the 2 dish satellites to see what new channels are coming. Even though they are scrambled, I can still see the satellite info. That’s how I did the “Whats on Nimiq3” post in the Canadian section a while back. I scanned the transpnders on 91 and logged the names.

I’ll take a Cherry Coke instead (haven’t drank any alcohol since 1998)
on

Looks like the thread was closed over the weekend (I wasn't here to close it)

Sicne the OP hasn't responded we'll keep it closed. In the future, please PM me if you have issues instead of posting a new message :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts