strange 811 problem, Guide letters missing

SatelliteGAL

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Amherst, NY (Buffalo suburb)
My son has an 811 that has recently developed a strange problem. The guide is losing letters! First the V looked like someone dropped water in the middle of it and half of it disolved. Now V W and X are gone completely. It creates a very strange program guide to read. Has anyone else seen anything like this? It has happened over the past week or two.

Guide fonts messed up on my 811!

Several letters are messed up in my 811 guide. The "a" for one. It makes it hard to read. Anyone else having this problem.

garys said:
A simple reboot does not solve the problem. You have to unplug the 811 while turned on. I have had this problem twice already. Have not found any other fix.

So the receiver has to be on? What about a hard reboot with the receiver off? (Unplug the power cord)

I did a hard reboot and the letter problem cleared up. We will see if it comes back. The letters do look like a water drop splattered them. Just another of the many 811 problems. Hopefully they did a better job developing the 411/211, but I suspect NOT!

I first noticed this problem with my 811 a couple weeks ago. The first thing I did was check the software revision to see if a new version had been loaded, but it had not. I considered posting, but I didn't see anybody else mentioning it so I figured I'd give it some time.

At first I thought that only capital "V" was affected, but it also turned out that capital "W", "X" and "Z" were also affected. Each of those letters was either rendered incomplete or missing entirely. If any other characters were affected, I didn't notice. I tried rebooting one time, without any success. I didn't notice when the problem disappeared, but it's been fine for at least the last 2 or 3 days. Weird.

Edgar in Indy
Go Colts!

Another 811 concern...
My 811 was working perfectly until 5:55 pm CST on Sunday. It was having troubling acquiring a signal, did the hard/soft reboot and could not get past the download for the guide. The receiver has not been working since.
I called Dish and they want a $50 service call to look at my box. Does anyone know of these type of problems because the tech @ Dish said, "My 811 has been working perfectly for a year and I have never heard of any problems with the 811." :confused:
Thanks for any help.

Sounds like the 811's font table got "stepped on" by a corrupted pointer. Writing goobledegook in the font table causes unrecognizable characters. A warm start "should" take care of the problem by reloading the fonts from NVRAM, but a hard reboot (pulling the power) definately will.

I have had the problem of missing letters for a while. Unplugging unit and rebooting does fix the problem. Now I have a new problem. the unit acts as if the info button was pressed and pops up continously making watching a show unbearable. Any fixes for this?" :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)