Strange channel outage

wjarrettc

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
After watching Voom for several hours tonight, I started surfing channels and noticed that many of the channels in the 100s range were getting "no signal" error messages. I had this behavior on channels 100, 102, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 121, 122, 126, 127, 130. All the rest came in fine.

The problem went away after a soft reboot (as did all my PG info :( ).

Any idea what causes this problem? Have others seen it?

If it happens again, check the signal quality. When the signal is low (e.g. due to bad weather), some channels may start disappearing sooner than others. Perhaps, that's what happened to you...

I've had this happen, too. Just once. It was a couple channels in the 100's and if I remember correctly a couple in the 600's. Figured it was just one of those freak things that happens sometimes. Hasn't happened since. I didn't do anything to fix it, just watched other channels. Next time I watched, everything worked fine. I don't really remember for sure, but I don't think it was a rain fade issue. That's not how my system acts with weather problems. If it happens again, I'll try to notice more details.

Ilya said:
If it happens again, check the signal quality. When the signal is low (e.g. due to bad weather), some channels may start disappearing sooner than others. Perhaps, that's what happened to you...

Should've checked the strength. I didn't think about it. It was a beautiful, cold night here in North Carolina though. No rain, and few if any clouds.

Same thing happened to me Friday night - a big block of channels went away -
mostly in the 100s and 600s. First time this ever happened. A soft reboot fixed it. Strange.

timjf said:
Same thing happened to me Friday night - a big block of channels went away -
mostly in the 100s and 600s. First time this ever happened. A soft reboot fixed it. Strange.

I didn't check anything above 501 in my case.

Yep, had same problem here 2X. One time lost everything above 208 except for 601/602 and the other time we lost some OTAs and other "blocks" at random. Power button reboot fixed the problem both times. Must be related to 7.26 as never happened before. Have emailed a VOOM engineer about the problem.

Watching HDTV under lowering (rain promised!) Seattle skies, Gill

I feel this is being caused by bad data being passed in the PG. Who? What? Where? Why? I haven't a clue, but I rarely had problems with my receiver and I regularly placed it in stand-by each night and performed a soft reboot once or twice a month. However, for no apparent reason the PG would occasionally be 'out-of-whack' (technical term for discombobulated :rolleyes: ) and/or the received would freeze. I always attributed this to something VOOM was doing with the PG.

Again, this was fairly infrequent but I always noticed others were having problems as well. To be honest, I would love to see VOOM add Change Control and Network Outage information on their website.

Not sure if this is related, but are you still plugged in to the phone line?
As reported in other threads, in 7.26 phone line connection seems to be causing frequent lockups.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)