SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
Monongahela, PA
Hello all,
I was blind scanning AMC1 and found 3.095 and 3.086 Ghz
How is this possible?
C band is 3.700–4.200 Ghz correct?

Let me know if I'm missing something here cause I don't know how this is taking place.

Thanks
John

in my experince some receivers can scan outside the normal 3.7-4.2
i can manually set my coolsat to scan like this although the tp's look like they found new channels i would suspect that they are the normal freq just off probably 700 mhz

so your 3095 is probably 3800
and your 3086 is probably 3780
check lyngsat to see if the channels are the same

Thanks for the reply gabshere,
Yeah I looked at that and I can't find the stations listed anywhere.

I think I know someone that works for one of their broadcast stations, I may have to give him a call.

Thanks
John

Hello all,
I was blind scanning AMC1 and found 3.095 and 3.086 Ghz
How is this possible?
C band is 3.700–4.200 Ghz correct?

Let me know if I'm missing something here cause I don't know how this is taking place.

Thanks
John

99 times out of 100, things like this are caused by having the wrong LNBF/LO settings in your receiver prior to doing the blind scan.

You didn't say what kind of dish (C or Ku), and if Ku, what kind (Univ or Standard) of Lnbf you have.
For example, if you have a universal Ku lnbf, but have the satellite set as C band in your receiver, and do a blind scan, 11805 will show up as being 3.095 .
Yes, these receivers will scan beyond the 950-1450 range that gives you the normal C and Ku bands, but I doubt that you are really picking something up in that range.

Hi BJ,
I am using a Traxis DBS3500 with a BSC621-2 Universal C/Ku LNBF and a 4 way DiSEqC Switch.

Here are my settings:
KU LNB1 LO:9.75/10.6
C band LNB2 LO:5150/5150

It's not picking everything up the same a KU but some channels are showing up.
I'm starting to believe it's some type of bleed over.
Here is why.
Galaxy 16 KU CBS News Path Feed (V-11771 SR:14310)
Galaxy 16 C CBS News Path Feed (V-3128 SR:14310)
Both have the same PID's V/A/PCR
I'm going to disconnect the switch today and see if it still happens.

Thanks
John

Hi BJ,
I am using a Traxis DBS3500 with a BSC621-2 Universal C/Ku LNBF and a 4 way DiSEqC Switch.

Here are my settings:
KU LNB1 LO:9.75/10.6
C band LNB2 LO:5150/5150

It's not picking everything up the same a KU but some channels are showing up.
Here is why.
Galaxy 16 KU CBS News Path Feed (V-11771 SR:14310)
Galaxy 16 C CBS News Path Feed (V-3128 SR:14310)
Both have the same PID's V/A/PCR
I'm going to disconnect the switch today and see if it still happens.

Thanks
John

Oh, OK. You're probably right about the bleedover.
I assume that you're not using the jumper and the internal DiseqC switch then, ie have the C and Ku on different ports of your 4 port switch?
If so, I'm curious re what port you have C band on, and what port you have Ku???
Reason I ask, is that I've always assumed that it could get complicated with using that LNBF with a DiseqC switch, since it has the internal DiseqC switch. Ie you could get in a situation where you've switched the internal switch off, unless you put the C and Ku on the same ports on your 4 port switch as they are expected on the internal switch (not sure if that makes sense).
Ie I can't remember which port number is C and Ku for the internal port, but let's sat it's 1 for C and 2 for Ku. Well let's say you're on C band, and then switch to port 2. Your internal switch will switch off C band. If you had C on anything but port 1 of the 4 port switch, it might be hard to get back your C band.
Anyway, I had a couple other examples of ways things could potentially get confused, even if you have the C and Ku on the same ports they are expected by the internal switch, but bottom line is that I *THINK* that there are senarios where things could get complicated trying to use that lnbf with an external diseqC switch, particularly if by chance you have C band going into port 2. Ie it seems like the internal switch would switch off C band, and you would be likely to pick up any bleedover from whatever other signals might be coming through into the diseqC switch. If the Ku half of the 621 is still getting power, you might be getting signal from the Ku side bleeding through.
Anyway, just a wild guess.

Hey B.J.

Ok, it must be my switch.
I removed it and connected directly to the C-band side and the oddball channels are gone.

I will try the 22khz switch on the LNBF and see if that works to clear the signal up.

That was a new switch too. I have 4 more of them to try. Maybe it's just a bad one and I'm not using the internal DiseqC switch.

Then again your port assignments may hold some merits.
Right now I have:
KU = LNB1
C = LNB2
Maybe C will work better on LNB1.

I will try that today too.
It was not too clear on how the internal DiseqC switch works, plus I have 2 other dishes.
I would think 22khz would turn KU on and C off but no docs came with the LNBF.

Thanks
John

Hey B.J.

Ok, it must be my switch.
I removed it and connected directly to the C-band side and the oddball channels are gone.

I will try the 22khz switch on the LNBF and see if that works to clear the signal up.

T..

I don't think that will work, because it uses 22KHz to switch between high and low range.

Hi BJ,

John

I am following the thread with attention; I have had this kind of bleed here with some (did try at least three 4ways switches) Diseqc switches. I use this setup here http://http://www.satcruiser.com/split_c_ku_diseqc.htm and I have never been able to select my C and Ku signals via the switch. When I want to get C or Ku signals, I have to connect one at a time to my digital receiver :mad:. Or maybe there is something that I do not do ok.

Mike

I am following the thread with attention; I have had this kind of bleed here with some (did try at least three 4ways switches) Diseqc switches. I use this setup here http://http://www.satcruiser.com/split_c_ku_diseqc.htm and I have never been able to select my C and Ku signals via the switch. When I want to get C or Ku signals, I have to connect one at a time to my digital receiver :mad:. Or maybe there is something that I do not do ok.

Mike

That setup will work OK, it's what I did for years (except I used A/V outputs instead of rf outputs of the analog receiver). {I now have a separate receiver for C-band.}
Could be that your switches are bad, however I should ask whether you have the LNBF voltage turned on in the digital receiver setup. Ie I assume you were using power pass splitters, with power coming from the analog receiver, and some people (I did this years ago) assumed I didn't need power from the digital receiver, however power is required for the diseqC switch to work.

That setup will work OK, it's what I did for years (except I used A/V outputs instead of rf outputs of the analog receiver). {I now have a separate receiver for C-band.}
Could be that your switches are bad, however I should ask whether you have the LNBF voltage turned on in the digital receiver setup. Ie I assume you were using power pass splitters, with power coming from the analog receiver, and some people (I did this years ago) assumed I didn't need power from the digital receiver, however power is required for the diseqC switch to work.

I use power pass splitters for my connections going to my analog receiver, the DC is blocked for the connections going to the Diseqc switch; in my digital setup the LNB power is OFF (should be ON ?); I did put this ON when doing some tests, with no good results; I should try again maybe.
My connections are C on port 2, and Ku on port 3 of the diseqc switch, if that matters.

Mike

I use power pass splitters for my connections going to my analog receiver, the DC is blocked for the connections going to the Diseqc switch; in my digital setup the LNB power is OFF (should be ON ?); I did put this ON when doing some tests, with no good results; I should try again maybe.
My connections are C on port 2, and Ku on port 3 of the diseqc switch, if that matters.

Mike

FINALLY! I owe you a beer B.J. :)
My setup is now working. As you said I assumed that no power was needed from my digital receiver; what led me astray is that my digital STB was speaking of LNB power ON/OFF and I knew that my LNBs were powered by my analog receiver, I was not thinking a bit powering the Diseqc switch! Thanks again B.J.!
This reminder should be part of a sticky when setting up a system with LNBs (not LNBFs) powered with an analog receiver.

Mike

similar, but different:

Okay, so it was missing power to the switch?

There was a case on the forum a couple of years ago, where a guy had a problem with a Ku signal, but only when his dish (BUD?) was aimed at a particular bird.
Turned out, he DID have C-band feedthrough on his switch, but it only coincided with a desired Ku signal, when his dish was in a certain position.
When aimed elsewhere, no C-band signal happened to interfere with a preferred Ku signal.

In his case, both LNBs were powered all the time, where as generally only the selected LNB gets power through a diseqc switch.
The switch just didn't have enough off-channel rejection for the hot signal it was trying to keep out.
Just his luck. :rolleyes:

Glad you got it sorted out.

I did some tests with some switches that I have collected and tried to use on and off in the past and my results might be of interest .

I aimed my BUD to G19 to get a C and Ku transponder

Switch Quality level for ---->C band --------->Ku band
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Coolsat -----------------> 88 ---------------> 84
Kingstar JSW-4101--> 73----------------> no signal
Digiwave GD-41A-----> no signal ------>no signal
Yesat YESAT-12-------->70 --------------->45

When you have a switch which does not operate properly, it is nearly impossible to make a setup :mad:.

I did a reset of my Coolsat receiver, and have been scanning the sky this afternoon, from Intelsat 805 (55,5 W) to AMC 11; not yet finished but the scanning is going well. For now...

Ok,

I used the installed switch and all is almost ok.
The bleed over issue is gone!
Now it looks as I am missing some TP's that used to be there.
I have both V and H TP's showing up.

Also the Q jumps up and down no matter how much I tweak it (eg. 24 to 58)
Seems like the Q has to hit 18 then it will jump up and lock in to the signal.

I had an Invacom QPH-031 installed before and the Q was only dropping a few points every now and then.

I can understand the C-band Q jumping around due to the dish size but the KU signals never been this bad.
My Integrity is around 98 to 100 except 127W and westward due to obstacles.

Galaxy 19 TP-23 Readings
The Invacom: I=90 Q= 74
The BSC621-2: I=99 Q= 48 to 63

Thanks in Advance.
John

I will try that today.
I did find the missing TP's, if I move the dish east or west a few clicks I will get them but lose the others.

Thanks
John

Status
Please reply by conversation.