Strange Question: Swapping Remotes 612 & 722

kscott

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Aug 8, 2008
OK, this is a strange question, but here goes...

I have a ViP612 in a bedroom (no TV2 out) that has one 6.3 IR/UHF Pro remote.

I have a ViP722 in the living room (has TV2 out) and for Remote #1 it has a 5.3 IR and Remote #2 is a 6.3 IR/UHF Pro.

What I'd like to do is use the IR/UHF remote from my 612, on my 722. (And move the IR-only remote to the 612.)

I'm sure it's probably no big deal to use an IR-only remote on the 612 - but can the 722 be controlled by 2 UHF remotes? (Is there a reason one is only IR while the other is UHF)?

The reason for all this is that I'm replacing the cabinet the 722 is in and the remote will no longer have line-of-sight to the receiver.

I know I can buy an IR blaster/extender thing, but I'd rather not do that if I don't have to.

I guess if nothing else, can anyone recommend a good universal remote that will control a 722 via UHF?

Any help would be appreciated-

Thanks-

Aconek

Sep 11, 2007
It's easy. Bring your IR remote to the 612. Press the sys info button on the front of the box. When you see your system info screen, press the record key on the remote to program it to the box. For the 6.3 IR/UHF remote, you can either pull out the tab and flip over that switch to convert it to IR, or you can go into your remote address screen and change the box to run UHF on both remotes.

kscott

Aug 8, 2008
...or you can go into your remote address screen and change the box to run UHF on both remotes.

How do I change TV1 to use UHF Pro instead of IR?

I've looked through the manual and menu options? Am I just missing it?

I can control the 722 with the IR/UHF remote - but it thinks I'm on TV2 (because TV2 is the one set to UHF Pro).

If I flip the chip in the remote I can control TV1 (but only via IR so i'm no better off).

Surely there's a setting to change TV1 to UHF Pro somewhere I'm missing?

Thanks again-

n0qcu

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Earth
You need the "GREEN" chip with the "black #1" on it.

or

Just remove the chip and slide the switch to the correct position. (sorry i don't know which of the 4 positions is the correct one, I am sure someone else will post and let you know.)

Aconek

Sep 11, 2007

or

Just remove the chip and slide the switch to the correct position. (sorry i don't know which of the 4 positions is the correct one, I am sure someone else will post and let you know.)

The only thing that chip does it allow the remote to stay in UHF mode when you slide it back in. You can take a pair of side cutters and chip off the inner side of the fat edge to allow you to slide it back in with no change.

To change TV1 to UHF, you need to go into your menu, press 6 - 1 - and then wherever you "TV1 UHF something something setup" I forget what it's called but it's near the bottom. You just need to go in there and click enable. After it's enabled, go to sys info FROM THAT SCREEN, and change your remote address from there. Just scroll over to TV1 in that screen and press record, it should convert.

kscott

Aug 8, 2008

or

Ah ok, starting to make sense now. I dont have the Green chip with the black #1 on it. I guess that's something I have to order?

I saw a couple of posts mention a "paperclip" trick and manually switching - but I've yet to find details on exactly how to do it. I'll keep looking.

thanks for the info-

Aconek

Sep 11, 2007
You don't need to order anything. The UHF setting for the 6.3 is the 3rd slot over to the right. Then just slice off most of the fat section of that chip and it will stay UHF when you slide it back in.

kscott

Aug 8, 2008
hey i think i've got it just by manually trying the different switch positions.

for reference here's what it looks like to me:

left-to-right
#1 - TV2 UHF Pro
#2 - TV1 IR
#3 - TV1 UHF Pro
#4 - TV1 IR

so once i switched to position 3 - it works great!

thanks guys!

chainblu

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 25, 2006
I recommend trying to acquire the correct green chip even though you got it to work. I've seen a couple of posts where guys have called Dish ans was able to get one free.
The problem with the 'paperclip' method is that the switch is not locked in position like it would be with the proper chip. So it's possible that the old lady could drop the remote on the hard floor... hard enough to move the switch to the wrong position. She might call you at work and demand to know why the TV won't work anymore and declare that Dish SUCKS!
Not that that's ever happened to me or anything... *looks around*

Pepper

DVR Addict~Mad Scientist
Supporting Founder
Mar 16, 2004
Satsuma, AL
hey i think i've got it just by manually trying the different switch positions.

for reference here's what it looks like to me:

left-to-right
#1 - TV2 UHF Pro
#2 - TV1 IR
#3 - TV1 UHF Pro
#4 - TV1 IR

so once i switched to position 3 - it works great!

thanks guys!
#4 is actually a combo IR and UHF (not Pro, the old UHF that the 50x, 510 and 721 use) - the position of the blue "2" flipped over which is a black "UHF".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)