Help needed

timxxgarr

Original poster
Feb 3, 2009
Texas
I have a Dish pro 500 Twin with the 301 reciever. I was getting the message check connections and when I did I picked up a low signal off of 110 but not 119. Just a few minutes after this the screen changed and stated that Unknow Device Installed. Where should I start get this fixed. Also if I were to install the dish in a different location from where it is now is there a particular height it needs to be from the ground, could it be installed on the side of a house for example. Thks.

I have a Dish pro 500 Twin with the 301 reciever. I was getting the message check connections and when I did I picked up a low signal off of 110 but not 119. Just a few minutes after this the screen changed and stated that Unknow Device Installed. Where should I start get this fixed. Also if I were to install the dish in a different location from where it is now is there a particular height it needs to be from the ground, could it be installed on the side of a house for example. Thks.

No particular height, you just need a clear line of sight to the satellite. Make sure all your cables are securely connected. Also do Check Switch test (Menu 6-1-1) and post back to this thread what is reported. Are you doing your own install or was this previously installed and you're just now having problems?

When I do the Check Switch test it shows Installed Unknown Device with all XX's in the box. Had to edit to add this in it also says no switch detected. What is bothersome is that just minutes before it showed that I was connected. This is a new install that I am doing in the same location as a previous install. I have checked the cables all are GR-6 believe I the letters right there its the same as what the manual shows that it needs to be. It is for the pre paid service from Dish Network and appearantly for a professional install I would have to contact a sub contactor to come out would prefer to save that money if I can.

Last edited:
Did you make your own cable or are you using the one that was already there? If you had a god connection before and don't have one now, it sounds like a cabling problem. Is it a straight cable run from the LNB to the receiver? Did you have to put connectors on the cable ends? Are you sure the cable hasn't pulled back inside the connector, laving no connection? Can you take your receiver outside and use a shorter cable length and see if you get a connection? If so, you will know something is amiss with the other cable. XXs means no sat signal but you have to have a connection to the LNB to get the signals so that is the first task.

Take off your LNB and throw your cable on the other port. Before you do, make sure your 311 his plugged into the wall and connected to the cable. Stick your tongue on the end of the cable fitting and you should feel a small shock. If the line isn't hot, your problem is not up there, but elsewhere.

I am now going through the process to take the reciever and a tv outside to see if i can get a connection with a shorter piece of cable, part of what is used is a piece that was already installed although for not that long of a time. There is one piece that is older with a barrel connection to connect the two. The older piece I do have concerns about. The ends appear good but I suspect that there might be a piece of cable broke inside.

Improvement. Now when I do the Check Switch it is picking up on the device. Now I am back to Problem Detected, Checked connections. When I checked the detials screen it says Direct Connection to DP Twin DP Twin/1 Good Connection, No Signal. No I know that check connections means check connections :) What I am wondering now is if combined with the detials this could be occuring due to the dish not being aligned with a satellite now as I did move it just now to hook up the new line.

One further note when I do the check switch for satellite it shows conn for both ports, device shows twin for both ports and polarity shows X for both ports.

New line hooked up ran switch test no i get the message only one satellite connected. Satellite is 110, polarity all. on the signal strength screen for both 110 and 119 i show approx half signal strength. working on tweaking dish now. will be checking back to see if anyone has any suggestions. thanks

New line hooked up ran switch test no i get the message only one satellite connected. Satellite is 110, polarity all. on the signal strength screen for both 110 and 119 i show approx half signal strength. working on tweaking dish now. will be checking back to see if anyone has any suggestions. thanks

Yeh you just need to get it aligned. Standing behind the antenna w/LNB, the 119 LNB is on the left and the 110 antenna is on the right. The 119 sat needs to register on Port 1 on the Check Switch screen. If 110 is showing up on Port 1 on the screen, the antenna needs to be moved to the west a few degrees.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)