Status
Please reply by conversation.

DetFan

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 27, 2006
Livonia, Michigan
I had a voice mail tonight from WHO I THOUGHT was Direct Tv, the first part was sort of missing because some people like to start talking before the beep..LOL.

Anyway from what I gather It was something about a broadband converter to insure I continue to get my HD channels when the new ones become available.

This make sense to anyone?

I had a voice mail tonight from WHO I THOUGHT was Direct Tv, the first part was sort of missing because some people like to start talking before the beep..LOL.

Anyway from what I gather It was something about a broadband converter to insure I continue to get my HD channels when the new ones become available.

No broadband converter will be required to receive the existing and new HD channels. Maybe and I'm saying just maybe the call could have been talking about their future VOD services that will use your home broadband connection. I still don't see the need for a broadband converter unless its something special like a USB dongle that DirecTV will provide that will connect via wireless and/or wired ethernet that will configure itself to fully work with their form of VOD. Still I don't really trust the call at all and I don't believe its DirecTV nor do I believe its a good DirecTV retailer. I'd suggest you "do not" give any information nor buy anything from them. If they say you need something you can call DirecTV and ask them if they offer said product. Also give them the phone number that called you and ask DirecTV to call you back to tell you if the number is from a valid authorized retailer or the like.

They were likely talking about the b band converter that needs to go in line on the back of the mpeg4 receivers/dvrs when the new sats go up. For now you don't need them.

They were likely talking about the b band converter that needs to go in line on the back of the mpeg4 receivers/dvrs when the new sats go up. For now you don't need them.

Yes, but everyone should have them when they have new rec.'s installer and there is a link to order them IF you need them.

Jimbo

I find it hard to believe that D* or any of it's HSP's would spend the time and money to call their HD customers and tell them about something that should have been installed with the equipment.

More likely scenario is that a telemarketer is calling D* HD customers and trying to sell them something they don't need.

Either way, it smells fishy to me.:down

:rolleyes: It is not fishy. I did get the same message from Directv. It was about bband converters (grey rectangular box ast the CSR called it) which should be between the reciever and the wall plug. She said ensure they are installed because I would not be able to get HDTV signal. DVR has two and reciever one.

I find it hard to believe that D* or any of it's HSP's would spend the time and money to call their HD customers and tell them about something that should have been installed with the equipment.

More likely scenario is that a telemarketer is calling D* HD customers and trying to sell them something they don't need.

Either way, it smells fishy to me.:down

First off, it's an automated call, so no one is actually calling D*'s customers-thus the OP's voicemail starting midway through the message.

Secondly, even though the B-Band converters should have been connected when the receiver was installed, there are a whole host of reasons why they may not have been, or why they have since been removed.

Thirdly, this is hardly a case of "a telemarketer is calling D* HD customers and trying to sell them something they don't need", as the replacement B-Band converters are being provided by D* ay no cost (despite being worth about $200 each, IIRC.)

What this IS is an attempt by D* to prevent a flood of calls from customers with B-Band converter-less HD receivers calling in September demanding to know where their new HD channels are. Even with this and other efforts, I predict that there will still be a lot of people who will do just that!

First off, it's an automated call, so no one is actually calling D*'s customers-thus the OP's voicemail starting midway through the message.

Secondly, even though the B-Band converters should have been connected when the receiver was installed, there are a whole host of reasons why they may not have been, or why they have since been removed.

Thirdly, this is hardly a case of "a telemarketer is calling D* HD customers and trying to sell them something they don't need", as the replacement B-Band converters are being provided by D* ay no cost (despite being worth about $200 each, IIRC.)

What this IS is an attempt by D* to prevent a flood of calls from customers with B-Band converter-less HD receivers calling in September demanding to know where their new HD channels are. Even with this and other efforts, I predict that there will still be a lot of people who will do just that!

I'm just surprised that D* is being this proactive and actually trying to prevent a problem before it occurs. Automated or not, it's still costing them a lot of money.

It would cost them a whole lot more money in customer service calls in Sept. when D10 goes live and people call in asking why they can't wait Cartoon Network HD.

They're manufactured by Zinwell. I was cleaning up this morning and found an install guide that was packed with one of the ones installed on my HR20-100. This is what it says:

BBC Module Functional Description

The BBC Module is to be used in conjunction with the Ka/Ku Out-Door Unit (ODU, or "dish" if you will) and the A3/MPEG-4 capable satellite receiver, hereafter to be called "the IRD". The Ka/Ku ODU output will consist of a three-way stacked signal: a Ka Lo-band (B Band) at 250-750 MHz, a Ku band at 950-1450 MHz and a Ka Hi-band (A band) at 1650-2150 MHz. The IRD has an input range of 950-2150 MHz so an up-converter must be used in order to access the 250-750 MHz spectrum. Failure to install a BBC Module at the back of the IRD prevents the IRD from receiving Ka Lo-band. For clarity, a BBC Module must never be used in a system that contains a Frequency Translation Module (FTM, now known as a Single Wire Multiswitch) as the equivalent function is already contained in the FTM.

The BBC Module up-converts the Ka Lo-band from 250-750 MHz into 1650-2150 MHz and sends the up-converted signal to the IRD.

In its simplest application, the BBC Module is connected to the "Satellite Input" of the IRD at the back of the IRD, between the IRD and the Ka/Ku ODU (Fig. 1).

When the IRD selects the A Band of 1650-2150 MHz, the BBC Module passes the signal from 950-2150 to the output. So the 950-2150 MHz output consists of the original Ku band and the A Band.

When the IRD selects the B-Band of 250-750 MHz, the BBC module up-converts the B Band to 1650-2150 MHz and send the up-converted signal to the output. So the 950-2150 MHz output consists of the original Ku band and the up-cinverted B Band.

DC voltages/current and ODU/multi-switch control signals pass through the BBC Module as is. Upon power up, the BBC Module is always in the A Band mode (un-switched mode).

If a 250-2150 MHz wide-band 6x8 multi-switch (WB68) is used. It will be located between the BBC Module and the Ka/Ku ODU (Fig. 2)

I rec'd a few of these calls. They leave a number to call back, and that number put me on hold for 60+ minutes all three times (I just left it on speaker while I worked).

After the third time, I called Directech's (the contractor for my area) corporate office and let them know they were dropping the ball on this. They actually agreed and told me they were implementing a new system in teh weeks to come.

They are inundated with calls right now.

I rec'd a few of these calls. They leave a number to call back, and that number put me on hold for 60+ minutes all three times (I just left it on speaker while I worked).

After the third time, I called Directech's (the contractor for my area) corporate office and let them know they were dropping the ball on this. They actually agreed and told me they were implementing a new system in teh weeks to come.

They are inundated with calls right now.

Just order online.

Anyone know if they will be required for older RCA DTC-210 HD receiver? Website only shows the H20 & HR20. Ordered 2 anyway for future use. Wanting the HR20 for an upgrade.

Got the same message, called back and the CSR did a bad job of explaining what they were. She sent me a pair for free (free shipping also) by then I figured out they were the inline gray boxes I already had.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)