Strategy for getting out-of-market local channels

thebert99

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2007
I am going to sign up with Dish Network, and I want to know a good strategy for getting out-of-market local channels and possible regional sports channels.

OK, so specifically, I live in Arkansas, but I would like to have local channels from preferably Birmingham, AL, or Atlanta. I am looking at this page (http://www.satelliteguys.us/thelist/index.php?search=dnall&sub=true), and it says that Birmingham stations (for instance, WBRC) are available on a Deep South beam. What is that? It also says that Atlanta stations (WSB, etc.) are available on a CONUS beam. So, it all else fails, I should be able to get Atlanta anywhere, right?

Also, if I use a billing ZIP code in one of those markets, will my regional sports networks come from that too? That would be a huge bonus if I can get FSN-South and Turner's Sportsouth. For some reason, Arkansas, an SEC market, gets Big 12 sports on FSN-Southwest.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, or hit me over the head and call me a moron! :)

First - They go by physical address not billing. You must provide an address, that does not have Dish service, from the area you want to STEAL the channels from.

Second - If you should have any problems with your sytem your screwed because they will go to the installed address listed.

Third - You are screwing anyones shot at getting service at the fake address you give.

Fourth - You will be committing an illegal act.

First - They go by physical address not billing. You must provide an address, that does not have Dish service, from the area you want to STEAL the channels from.

Second - If you should have any problems with your sytem your screwed because they will go to the installed address listed.

Third - You are screwing anyones shot at getting service at the fake address you give.

One comment to all of this. Explain to me how it's stealing when he's actually...*drum roll*...paying for the channels?

For theft to occur, he would have to not pay for these out-of-market channels.

Last I checked, telling a lie is not a crime (a sin, yes, but that's a discussion for the pit).

Not that I'm condoning anything, but isn't it Dish who is committing the illegal act? It is illegal for them to broadcast it to you out of market, not for you to receive the broadcast. The burden is on them to verify that you are receiving the service at the address given.

Unethical? maybe, that is up to you. Illegal? no.

Not True

Get Real

Pick an address that won't care

Totally Untrue

The OP is too far away from Atlanta to get them...you need to be within about 200 miles from the spotbeam you want...and sometimes they are whacked too

Even though it says that Atlanta is available on a CONUS beam, I still have to be within 200 miles to get it?

.... For some reason, Arkansas, an SEC market, gets Big 12 sports on FSN-Southwest.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, or hit me over the head and call me a moron! :)
Charlie is living 10 years in the past. He seems to think that Arkansas is still in the (deceased) Southwest Conference. But, hey, if we can get rid of Baylor, we'd love to have you in the Big-12. :)

Charlie is living 10 years in the past. He seems to think that Arkansas is still in the (deceased) Southwest Conference. But, hey, if we can get rid of Baylor, we'd love to have you in the Big-12. :)

Well, I am a displaced Alabama fan, which is why I want Birmingham stations. But, it seems that FSN has no clue what Arkansans actually watch. Most of us are Cardinals fans and SEC fans, but we get Astros baseball and Big 12 basketball. Go figure... Personally, I'd rather watch the Braves, but now that they are off TBS, I have to find other creative solutions.

So, it sounds like there are some questions about the legality of doing this. I don't want to do anything that run me afoul of the law or the FCC or whoever. Also, I'd be using a family member's address, so I don't want to involve them in something that is not legal. If someone could clear that up, I would appreciate it. And I guess I would begrudgingly stick with my local channels...

Maybe I should just buy the family member a Slingbox.

So, it sounds like there are some questions about the legality of doing this. I don't want to do anything that run me afoul of the law or the FCC or whoever. Also, I'd be using a family member's address, so I don't want to involve them in something that is not legal. If someone could clear that up, I would appreciate it. And I guess I would begrudgingly stick with my local channels...

Maybe I should just buy the family member a Slingbox.
Not illegal. Nobody will come to your door and take you to jail for "moving". It is in violation of the Dish "Terms of Service Agreement", and theoretically, they could terminate your service if they found you to be in violation.

Beyond that, it's your call ethically, on whether or not to lie for something that you want.

"Significantly Viewed" is the answer if DBS would fully embrace this and work out whatever issues are holding this up for us subscribers. If you don't know, the FCC allowed "Significantly Viewed" channels to be offered to qualifying DBS subscribers about 3 years ago. Such local channels are like the ones that many cable subscribers receive; popular channels in a subscriber's adjacent TV market. I believe this would eliminate the majority of "moving" by DBS subscribers, because don't "movers" typically just want to receive channels from their closest TV market which in many cases is not their "home" market or DMA?

Eric

Get off your high horse. You're not "Stealing" anything. What you are doing is violating TOS. And TOS is in place so dish can remain compliant with the FCC.

BTW, on the RARE occasion you would need service. Move back.

I am going to sign up with Dish Network, and I want to know a good strategy for getting out-of-market local channels and possible regional sports channels.

OK, so specifically, I live in Arkansas, but I would like to have local channels from preferably Birmingham, AL, or Atlanta. I am looking at this page (http://www.satelliteguys.us/thelist/index.php?search=dnall&sub=true), and it says that Birmingham stations (for instance, WBRC) are available on a Deep South beam. What is that? It also says that Atlanta stations (WSB, etc.) are available on a CONUS beam. So, it all else fails, I should be able to get Atlanta anywhere, right?

Also, if I use a billing ZIP code in one of those markets, will my regional sports networks come from that too? That would be a huge bonus if I can get FSN-South and Turner's Sportsouth. For some reason, Arkansas, an SEC market, gets Big 12 sports on FSN-Southwest.

Are you trying to get SD or HD locals?

Here's the deep south beam you are asking about.

Attachments

• 0089-09s12-20.gif
    0089-09s12-20.gif
    35.7 KB · Views: 531
i just love it when people change illegal to some other term to suit their arguement.

E* cannot by law provide a channel that is not nationally cyndicated outside its broadcast market per fcc ruleing.
that being said... if you knowingly and willfully cause E* to be in violation of this rule you can and very well may be held liabale for all damages, if you want those locals that bad, then you need to live there

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts