Streaming 4k through Hopper3

BatteryDude1975

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 22, 2007
OK, I have a Hopper 3 and about to get a new 4k tv to watch 4k Netflix, 4k YouTube, and 4k On Demand. My question is, What is the minimum internet speed needed to watch this stuff? I know my current speed is way to slow(3mb), but about to switch ISP and was just wondering about speeds.

Thanks.

OK, I have a Hopper 3 and about to get a new 4k tv to watch 4k Netflix, 4k YouTube, and 4k On Demand. My question is, What is the minimum internet speed needed to watch this stuff? I know my current speed is way to slow(3mb), but about to switch ISP and was just wondering about speeds.

Thanks.

So far 4k isn't working with the Netflix app on the Hopper 3 and the YouTube app is not available yet. When the YouTube is available it will not have the ability to stream 4k content. I believe Netflix 4k content will eventually work and 4k VOD is currently working now. I'm not sure on the speed required but there are some threads on here that have discussed it.

So far 4k isn't working with the Netflix app on the Hopper 3 and the YouTube app is not available yet. When the YouTube is available it will not have the ability to stream 4k content. I believe Netflix 4k content will eventually work and 4k VOD is currently working now. I'm not sure on the speed required but there are some threads on here that have discussed it.
you are right about the netflix app the date we are suppose to happen is tommorow who knows. i think we are suppose to get the youtube app in the next couple of months i adding lots of bluegrass home videos on youtube right now..

Youtube will never do 4K on the Hopper3 as the chipset does not support VP9 which came out after the chipset for the Hopper 3 was designed.

I do expect 4K from netflix to be working shortly.

Reactions: Rixos
you are right about the netflix app the date we are suppose to happen is tommorow who knows. i think we are suppose to get the youtube app in the next couple of months i adding lots of bluegrass home videos on youtube right now..

Just remember that 4k will not work on the YouTube app though.

Just remember that 4k will not work on the YouTube app though.
i know i know if dish knew that they were going to be adding the youtube app would it right for them to add the v9 chip so people can view 4k on their 4ktv through the hopper 3

Alan again the Hopper 3 Chipset was already done before Youtube had VP9 available.

DISH can't make something in the chipset that did not exist at the time.

no problem i was wondering what was going on :)
Didn't I hear that you could only get 6.0 Mbps DSL from Frontier where you live? If that's the case, you won't be watching 4K streaming from anywhere. From what I have read, you need at least 25 Mbps down or better for it to work properly. I doubt I'll ever be able to stream it here either, as CenturyLink only provides 4.0 Mbps down here.

Didn't I hear that you could only get 6.0 Mbps DSL from Frontier where you live? If that's the case, you won't be watching 4K streaming from anywhere. From what I have read, you need at least 25 Mbps down or better for it to work properly. I doubt I'll ever be able to stream it here either, as CenturyLink only provides 4.0 Mbps down here.

Sounds like you need an unlimited Verizon plan :) 4k works great on LTE

According to a thread over at the Dish Hopper/Joey forums multiple users are saying it doesn't as of today and one said the Hopper doesn't support it at all.

https://support.dish.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=17404

I'm glad to hear it is working, and can assume others will also confirm.

Thanks for your rely.
Interesting. It seems to be working fine on my old Pioneer receiver. I am using an optical cable. I wonder if others are using HDMI into their receivers?

Interesting. It seems to be working fine on my old Pioneer receiver. I am using an optical cable. I wonder if others are using HDMI into their receivers?
Now that is interesting. You appear to be the only one who says that they are receiving Netflix 5.1 and now you tell us that you are using optical. I would wager most all of us are HDMI. That's an avenue that needs to be looked at.

Another question, you speak of your old Pioneer receiver. Does it tell you you are seeing 5.1 or just Dolby Digital? What model is that Pioneer?

Reactions: D. Manley
Now that is interesting. You appear to be the only one who says that they are receiving Netflix 5.1 and now you tell us that you are using optical. I would wager most all of us are HDMI. That's an avenue that needs to be looked at.

Another question, you speak of your old Pioneer receiver. Does it tell you you are seeing 5.1 or just Dolby Digital? What model is that Pioneer?
Honestly, I didn't look too closely at it. I just noticed that the five speakers were lit up on the screen of the receiver. It typically only does that for Dolby Digital. If it is in stereo, I don't get that.

Honestly, I didn't look too closely at it. I just noticed that the five speakers were lit up on the screen of the receiver. It typically only does that for Dolby Digital. If it is in stereo, I don't get that.
Maybe it's Prologic, that'll show all the speakers but is really a stereo feed.

Reactions: D. Manley
If your new 4K set is a smart tv you can watch 4K Netflix and You Tube videos through the set. I bought a new Samsung during Super Bowl weekend and 4K looks great using the built in apps.
Sure you can, but this is the Hopper zone!

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Reactions: B1gted

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)