Streaming audio

lparsons21

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 17, 2009
Herrin, IL 62948
One of the more frustrating parts of cutting the cord is with the live streaming services like YouTubeTV and others is that most of them only provide stereo for live and/or recorded shows. I think ATT’s streaming TV offerings are the only ones that offer 5.1 on at least some channels.

I’ve found that on my AppleTV and FireTV Cube that my audio setup with fake Surround sound with the stereo sound, which makes it not too bad. But if I use my Xbox One with Dolby Experience app, it doesn’t do anything with a stereo audio signal, only enhances 5.1 to fake Atmos.

Hulu offers 5.1 audio on some content on some boxes, notably not on AppleTV or Roku. But even with Hulu the live streams and recordings don’t have 5.1 audio.

It looks to me like most of the smart tv platforms can support 5.1. So the limitations are on what the stream provider delivers. Hopefully they decide to add the data to the stream.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hulu offers 5.1 audio on some content on some boxes, notably not on AppleTV or Roku. But even with Hulu the live streams and recordings don’t have 5.1 audio.
Regular on demand Hulu content has 5.1 audio on Roku now, at least on all the shows I watched recently during a free month.

Reactions: Bobby
Their support page for audio says no for either Roku or AppleTV
Nope. Roku is on the list:

Hulu with 5.1 surround sound
While Hulu’s collection of 5.1 supported content and devices continues to grow, at this time, it’s limited to a selection of Hulu streaming library shows and movies (which includes most Hulu Originals), on the compatible devices listed below.

For the past three years, I've gotten regular Hulu for a month or two to watch certain originals and other on demand shows. I'd been watching it on my PS4 for the 5.1 audio, but this year I checked and got 5.1 audio for the first time on my Roku Premiere+ (4630). The coolest part about being able to use my Roku is that the remote has a Hulu shortcut button. Much faster than firing up the PS4.

In my setup I get better overall audio performance with the AppleTV. I have a Samsung ATMOS K950 soundbar. With stereo in I get Surround out, not 5.1 but better than what the Xbox One with Dolby Experience app does with stereo, which is nothing, just pass through.

Now with Hulu not of their on demand is 5.1, kind of hit or miss. Love it when it does 5.1 when using the soundbar as I get faked Atmos.l

And I don’t know how the heck I missed it on Hulu’s sound support page. Call it an old age brain fart! :)

Now with Hulu not of their on demand is 5.1, kind of hit or miss. Love it when it does 5.1 when using the soundbar as I get faked Atmos.

Of all the Hulu content I've watched the past three years (originals, network/cable TV shows, recent movies), I haven't encountered any content that wasn't 5.1 except for maybe this one A&E docu-series I watch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)