Streaming Radio

An Onyx w/ the home kit and a pair of speakers sounds like the ideal solution, but the sound quality is better over streaming.

Keep in mind for internet streaming, you are only allowed ONE simultaneous stream per SiriusXM receiver. So if you only have one SiriusXM receiver on your account, you can't stream on two devices at the same time. And they are pretty good at enforcing this.

If you want ultimate control of content and range isn't an issue, could always just get a bluetooth speaker, put it in his room and have your phone/tablet/computer paired to it.

Same here. I gladly PAY to avoid the damn ads.
you pay to listen to music one way or the other 5 days of damm ad's with the same 20 song playlist or have your wallet out ;). sxm csr's are like phone sex operators you best know what you want and you best have your wallet out. because they will take your$$$:D

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
So if you only have one SiriusXM receiver on your account, you can't stream on two devices at the same time. And they are pretty good at enforcing this.
I think this needs further clarification. I'm deeply embedded in the Amazon ecosystem, so what I say here may or may not apply to other streaming platforms.

I can play SiriusXM on any number of Echoes in my house with one subscription for my car. I can even play different channels on different Echoes IIRC.

I have a serious annoyance with the SiriusXM Alexa skill, though. It won't tell me what song it's playing! Alexa just answers, "This is <channel name>". So, if I bring up Stream top music, sports, news and talk radio on SiriusXM on my home PC to find out what song it is, and even though the song comes up paused, at least one of my Echo groups, the pair of Dots (for stereo) with an Echo Sub, plays for about a minute and then says it can't play any more. Sometimes, if I check out the song played and dismiss the window fast enough, some of the Echoes elsewhere in the home can indeed remain playing. The only way I can listen to my Echos and figure out what song is playing (via PC player) is to have two accounts and two sets of credentials on SiriusXM.com. I did this for awhile when I subbed my wife's car as well as my own and that worked out well, except my wife never listed to her receiver at all. At least I got a free Echo Dot + Smart Switch for subbing my wife's car for a year. Obviously they weren't exactly "free" at the end of that sub.

I have 2 Echoes in a Savage, MD apartment, one at work which I play via my phone's hot spot, and the rest here at home in Fairfax, VA. I have no idea whether I can play my favorite channel both at home and the apartment or at work. This will make an interesting experiment. The streams would be going to two or three different IP addresses, so if SiriusXM sees that happening, then they may well kill the other streams. :( I will leave one of my Echoes playing here when I go to work, and test this out this evening when I visit that apartment. My wife and I can get stuck in MD due to horrific traffic, particularly on Fridays. When that happens, we typically have a dinner date and then go the rest of the way home later.

Last edited:
As I alluded to previously, Grace Digital seems to be scaling back in a big way lately. They're shutting down the indexing service for older devices soon (the ones you can get through SiriusXM and C.Crane). They've also scaled their offerings way back from what they offered a year ago. They used to offer a dozen or so products and now I see four listed in their store.

I have an Encore+ (stereo speakers) and it is a great radio that will work after the shutdown but any of the radios release prior to 2017 will no longer have a database to support them. Anyone who is considering a purchase needs to verify that the model will be supported.

• Sad
You might try here, at least this is the manufacturer I use - Grace Digital
Help me out here. The cheapest radio Grace shows at that link is a refurbished Mondo Elite for $120. Why would anybody buy that for music when you could buy a 1st gen Echo for $12 (from Woot)? Does it tell you what song it's playing when streaming SiriusXM channels?
I have an Encore+ (stereo speakers) and it is a great radio that will work after the shutdown but any of the radios release prior to 2017 will no longer have a database to support them. Anyone who is considering a purchase needs to verify that the model will be supported.
Is the Mondo Elite being de-supported?

Is the Mondo Elite being de-supported?
Not at this time.

I have 2 Echoes in a Savage, MD apartment, one at work which I play via my phone's hot spot, and the rest here at home in Fairfax, VA. I have no idea whether I can play my favorite channel both at home and the apartment or at work. This will make an interesting experiment.
New surprise result: I've been playing SiriusXM on my Dot here at work (MD) all day through my cell phone's hot spot. My daughter just got home from school and she reports my Dot there is still playing as well. These two Dots are obviously coming from different IP addresses.

But when I'm playing an Echo at home and bring up the PC player at home, it kills the stream even though it is coming from the same IP address. I conclude that, whatever SiriusXM is using to count streams, it is not the IP address.

Edited to add: I went to the Savage, MD apartment and played SiriusXM there as well. When I got home much later, my Echo Dot is still playing. So, at least with Echo smart speakers, you apparently can have as many SiriusXM streams as you have speakers to play them on.

Last edited:
Reactions: rcoop23
Help me out here. The cheapest radio Grace shows at that link is a refurbished Mondo Elite for $120. Why would anybody buy that for music when you could buy a 1st gen Echo for $12 (from Woot)?
That's easy, two reasons. 1) The Grace doesn't have microphones to listen to your conversations, signal the men in black if you speak forbidden words and phrases, send signals that can penetrate your carefully prepared tin foil hat and allow nefarious mind control experiments to be conducted on you while you sleep. Or 2) woot is sold out. :)

As I alluded to previously, Grace Digital seems to be scaling back in a big way lately. They're shutting down the indexing service for older devices soon (the ones you can get through SiriusXM and C.Crane).
A correction here. Grace is not shutting down the indexing system. Reciva is shutting down the indexing system. Nearly all of the older internet radios used this service and have had their devices shut down. Grace seems to have seen this coming a couple of years ago and built their own system which is why the newer devices work.

Help me out here. The cheapest radio Grace shows at that link is a refurbished Mondo Elite for $120. Why would anybody buy that for music when you could buy a 1st gen Echo for $12 (from Woot)?
Even though I have an echo, I keep the microphone muted (at least I'm hoping it is muted). I much prefer the internet radios since they have a display and are extremely easy to use. I'm not a great fan of the Echo, I get exasperated easily when using many different streaming sites. Alexa is a pain or maybe she just can't understand my southern accent.

Reactions: reddice
I'm not a great fan of the Echo
Well, I'm having big issues all of a sudden. If I try to control my TP-Link switches with it, it claims there is a problem and TP-Link has been notified. That was hours ago. My Amazon smart plugs continue to work properly.

And my SiriusXM account became unlinked from my Amazon account. Amazon Sign-In tells me "there was a problem" and to try linking again later.

A friend of mine says his friend in Ohio can't get her playlist to work. And my friend cannot himself hear his news briefings. What the hey?

Well, I'm having big issues all of a sudden. If I try to control my TP-Link switches with it, it claims there is a problem and TP-Link has been notified. That was hours ago. My Amazon smart plugs continue to work properly.

And my SiriusXM account became unlinked from my Amazon account. Amazon Sign-In tells me "there was a problem" and to try linking again later.

A friend of mine says his friend in Ohio can't get her playlist to work. And my friend cannot himself hear his news briefings. What the hey?
Amazon had an outage today. A lot of services were affected.

You might try here, at least this is the manufacturer I use - Grace Digital

For more opinions and discussion try here Internet Radio Forum

Make sure you notice that any radio that uses Reciva no longer functions. You can read about that on the forum.
I want to let you know after looking at everyone’s suggestions, I think Grace is the best solution. I ordered a mondo elite ans they apparently come back in stock on the 14th (hopefully to be delivered in time for Christmas). Thank you for recommending it! My only concern is that I will like it and want one for myself!

Reactions: llokey and TRG