Streaming with Blockbuster Thread

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I had the turbo plug as my main source of internet for the 722k ,but yesterday ran a ethernet cable directly to my receiver. The speed of the videos playing became instant like the Netflix on my Google revue unit. I had to by an ethernet splitter and run two cables to split it to both boxes ,but now I can stream instantly on both boxes. Now my Sling is not working on DISH online and it doesn't show me connected to the internet on my DISH account at all ,but that is another story. I called the DISH techs and filed a report. I can watch my live tv on the dish online and set timers on the guide ,but no dvr functions at all. So when they did away with DISH remote access and added the Blockbuster pass, they broke my sling functions . As usual with DISH: one step forward and two steps back.

Menu then 6-1-3 and you should be on the system info screen. As Scott said its fine if it still says Platinum because they are the same thing. My guess is it will probably switch over in the next couple of days.
For the System Info screen, I thought "Menu" twice gets you there too. :)

After a few days, I think we can make a few more definitive comments:

1) I haven't checked space available BEFORE starting a BMPP offering but I have checked it and then deleted a movie. It GOES DOWN. I have gained over an hour by deleting a hour and a half movie. In MPEG4 format, gaining back less is quite common.

2) When I start a movie from scratch, a few have said they'll be ready in 30, 40, or more minutes. When that happens, I do something else. Quite a few though have started real quickly, like within 2-minutes.

3) When I get a movie to start within a few minutes, the "HD" meter shows 1 or 2 out of 4 bars. When I stop it and re-start it an hour or a day later, ready... it shows me 4 out of 4 bars.

That said, in my opinion, it's NOT true streaming. It is downloading the entire movie to the DVR's hard drive. I'm okay with that, mind you. I also think what's different from previously is that Dish removed the throttling they seemed to have in place. That's why, based on your internet speed, it could take anywhere from 30 minutes to hours before you could start watching.

Finally Dish, store them in the "reserved" area first, if space is available. If not, roll it over to the user's side.

I have the Sling Home Plug (Powerline) or whatever that thing is called. That is how I connect my 722k to my network.

With that being said, I have to wait anywhere between 6-12 hours before I can watch a movie. Mind you, I have cable internet that gets speeds up to 20 down and 1 up. So I'm assuming it's my method of connecting to my network that's the problem.

Can anyone suggest a better method without having to hard wire? That's no really an option for me.

I really want to keep this service, but it's pointless to have to wait a ton of time to "stream" a movie that I want to watch at that moment.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Well, my suggestion, if it is possible, is to hard wire connect it in order to determine a baseline speed. That way you know what your best performance is.

You've probably already thought about it, but could you move the router closer to the 722k?

I'm a little confused here.. I heard that for new dish sub, you can get 12 mths (free) of Blockbuster stream and by mail (1 DVD out). When I login to dishonline, there isn't anywhere I can see that's available.
I couldn'f find it anywhere yesterday. But today, as stardust quoted in post 120, the announcement is here: DISH Network Deals

WizeGuyDezignz said:
I have the Sling Home Plug (Powerline) or whatever that thing is called. That is how I connect my 722k to my network.

With that being said, I have to wait anywhere between 6-12 hours before I can watch a movie. Mind you, I have cable internet that gets speeds up to 20 down and 1 up. So I'm assuming it's my method of connecting to my network that's the problem.

Can anyone suggest a better method without having to hard wire? That's no really an option for me.

I really want to keep this service, but it's pointless to have to wait a ton of time to "stream" a movie that I want to watch at that moment.

Any ideas? Thanks!

I use a wireless gaming adapter from cisco.sorry don't remember thee model number.It works great and streaming movies start instantly Others within minutes.

Ron

please help! I have a 722 connected to internet and my receiver wont update to BB movie pass so i can stream. It still says dish platinum and on demand. What do i need to do? i went online and registered as well. Also one other thing, can someone please explain the difference between platinum and BB movie pass. Before 10/1 i was able to click on platinum from on demand screen and view thousands of movies. what has sinced changed?

Well for me"adaptive streaming" ain't adapting and that's with AT&T Elite DSL 6MB down/764kup.:rant:
Have you measured the throughput using any of the online speed test tools? It is entirely possible that your actual download speed isn't what they claim or varies widely from one minute to the next.

Contrary to the rhetoric the phone companies have offered for years, DSL bandwidth is shared at several levels.

Trying to start some streaming... 722k froze and reboot. That was after successfully streaming an HD show last night, and this morning. Went like this. Scroll through the filtered list (dish platinum). Find Iron Man 2. Select it. Select HD. Told it will be ready in 4 hours and 45 min? weird. press cancel. system hangs. wait...wait...wait, it reboots.

that was weird.

So so far, I found Star Trek on Sunday afternoon using 8.2Mbps of bandwidth across my router. Home Alone this morning was around 4.7Mbps. With it rebooted, I fired up Avatar streaming. It's running about 9Mbps, but the funny thing is that it is playing back with spanish language. WTF?

So I picked a new one, Moby Dick Part 2. It asked if I wanted to interrupt the Avatar stream, I said yep. At least Moby Dick is in English. Weird. Oh, and it seems to be using 8.5Mbps.

So far I have yet to see a reason to subscribe to BBMP. NETFLIX streaming works fine, Redbox 5 minutes away, think I will wait and see how this pans out.
I would have rathered dish do something about on demand, having to wait 40 minutes to several hours to watch a show is ridiculous. That just isn't on demand in my mind but that is another thread.

Ross

Sent from my DROIDX using SatelliteGuys

Have you measured the throughput using any of the online speed test tools? It is entirely possible that your actual download speed isn't what they claim or varies widely from one minute to the next.

Contrary to the rhetoric the phone companies have offered for years, DSL bandwidth is shared at several levels.

I'm sure it's something like that and I'm hopeful Dish Network will improve the streaming with BBMP.

I can stream NetFlix no problems in HD(that's what they call it,yea right).On NetFlix's website they state all you need to stream is 500kbps.So if Dish Network would use those numbers as a starting point I would not have any issues with my DSL(I hope).

On my HDTV it says I'm getting 4400 to 4800.

So far I have yet to see a reason to subscribe to BBMP. NETFLIX streaming works fine, Redbox 5 minutes away, think I will wait and see how this pans out.
I would have rathered dish do something about on demand, having to wait 40 minutes to several hours to watch a show is ridiculous. That just isn't on demand in my mind but that is another thread.

Ross

Sent from my DROIDX using SatelliteGuys
Unless they put the BB library online for streaming under the BBMP, there is no reason to drop Netflix for streaming... in fact that would be a terrible idea! Now if you did it just for the discs, may be a good idea, but otherwise, this is competing with Netflix... yet.

please help! I have a 722 connected to internet and my receiver wont update to BB movie pass so i can stream. It still says dish platinum and on demand. What do i need to do? i went online and registered as well. Also one other thing, can someone please explain the difference between platinum and BB movie pass. Before 10/1 i was able to click on platinum from on demand screen and view thousands of movies. what has sinced changed?

1. Be Patient-Updates roll out to receivers in batches it seems. some people get it earlier than others.
2. Platinum was a package add-on that gave you over 20 great entertainment channels for $10.

BB movie pass is platinum +
  • Over 100,000 titles available
  • Stream thousands of movies to your TV or PC
  • Unlimited movies, TV shows and games by mail(1 disc out at a time($10), or 2($15),3($20) with a plan upgrade)
  • Unlimited in-store exchanges
  • Plus over 20 great entertainment channels
http://www.blockbustermoviepass.com
Blockbuster - DISH Network

Any ideas? Thanks!

I used to use a wireless-G router to connect to the Internet to stream Netflix and got "decent" quality on my TWC 10/1 connection. I upgraded to a Netgear wireless-N gigabit router and you would not believe the difference in quality. Netflix (and now BB/Dish) look absolutely fantastic streaming. I'd consider one of those routers, as it may improve your experience drastically since your speed down is twice what mine is and I get amazing quality.

I used to use a wireless-G router to connect to the Internet to stream Netflix and got "decent" quality on my TWC 10/1 connection. I upgraded to a Netgear wireless-N gigabit router and you would not believe the difference in quality. Netflix (and now BB/Dish) look absolutely fantastic streaming. I'd consider one of those routers, as it may improve your experience drastically since your speed down is twice what mine is and I get amazing quality.

I am kind of in the same boat. I can stream my PS3 Vudu account in HD just fine and dandy but with my 722k it says it will take over 2 hours for the new nightmare on elm street to be ready to watch. I dont think we are truly streaming yet. It is still going to download to receivers HDD then you can watch it. I hope they have true streaming available soon. Whether or not the 722k can handle that that is a whole other topic for discussion else where

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)