Strength of signal?

Danzio

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 19, 2004
I just had my Dish installed last Saturday and so far I am pretty happy with the whole setup. I have a 622, a 211 and a 311 feeding 2HDTV's and 2SD's. My question is in regards to the signal strength and it's relationship to dropouts. I have experienced a couple already and wondered if my installer did his best to aim the dish. I am getting signals between 50-85% on 110, 119 and 129 with 110 usually the lowest. Are these numbers the norm and would a lesser signal (in the 50% range necessarily mean a dropout.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Dan

"I am getting signals between 50-85% on 110, 119 and 129 with 110 usually the lowest"

It looks like the dish needs to be re-peaked but those numbers you gave us are very general.

Go to Menu, 6-1-1 and select one satellite at a time and record the number for at least one odd and one even TPs. For example, for 119 TP 11-100 TP 12-95. Then you can call Dish Network and tell them that you have very low readings and have signal loss. They should send someone to repeak the dish.

In general for 119 and 110 you want at least 85 and you should get at least 85. For 129, mid 70s seems to be average. You will experience drop outs when the signal falls below 40-45.

what is your geographic location? Also, do you have a clear view of the sky? also, do you have the dish on the side of your house with overhanging eves?

RandallA,
I will do as you suggest when I get home tonight.

walendvay, I am located in SO. Cal. and have a clear view of the sky. My antenna is mounted on the side of the house and yes, there are overhanging eves. The installer actually used the same mount that I had a D* dish that I quit using a few years ago when I went to cable. He said the mount would work fine and there was no need to keep the old dish up so I said sure.

What do the eves have to do with anything?

Danzio said:
RandallA,
I will do as you suggest when I get home tonight.

walendvay, I am located in SO. Cal. and have a clear view of the sky. My antenna is mounted on the side of the house and yes, there are overhanging eves. The installer actually used the same mount that I had a D* dish that I quit using a few years ago when I went to cable. He said the mount would work fine and there was no need to keep the old dish up so I said sure.

So I take it you are using only one dish (1000/1000+,etc.). I would expect your lowest readings are on 129 and you can confirm as advised above. You probably will get ~ 65 - 70 max.

By using a separate Dish 500 for the 129, you should be able to get readings of 68 - 88, with most transponders around 75. This should also help get a higher signal on 110 and 119.

The 129 satellite is not stable and it is not unusual to lose 10 points on your signal over a few minutes for no apparent reason. Apparently the satellite wobbles and is straightened out periodically by thrusters.

I am in S. Cal., I use two 500's and I get the 68 - 88 signal levels (per above) on 129.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)