Status
Please reply by conversation.

TRG

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 19, 2007
Albuquerque, NM
I'm looking forward to the launch tomorrow @ 3:52 pm EDT. I have my C-band dish pointed at AMC 3 @ 87W and my Sathawk is displaying a beautiful 720P HD picture on my LED LCD TV. Oh, and I have off tomorrow. :up :D

Delayed until Thursday afternoon at the earliest, probably longer since there's a 70 percent chance of unfavorable weather at that time. If they don't launch by Monday, they'll miss this window, and will have to wait until December...

Launch of Discovery on her final voyage has been postponed again, this time due to inclement weather... From NASA tweet:

"Space shuttle managers will meet at 5 a.m. EDT Friday to evaluate weather. Discovery's Friday launch attempt would be at 3:03 p.m."

There is a 70 percent chance of favorable weather for this afternoon's planned launch at 3:04 p.m. EDT. The only weather concern at this time is high winds.

The shuttle is currently being fueled, but there is an issue with a hydrogen leak which may delay launch again.

According to the TV news; looks like it has been postponed till Monday. That information had just been updated. It appears that due to the hydrogen leak, the time to repair same, and the unfavorable position of the sun will delay the launch till the end of this month.

Last edited:
Yep, STS-133 has been postponed until November 30th at the earliest. <Sigh>...

Well, on the positive side, I now have time to tend to that tree branch partially blocking PortaBUD. Now, where'd I leave that chainsaw? :D

You couldn't pay me enough to ride a shuttle in the winter...

Is there any free source for the HD channel on the internet, for those of us who don't have C-band?

You couldn't pay me enough to ride a shuttle in the winter...

Is there any free source for the HD channel on the internet, for those of us who don't have C-band?
Since there may not be many shuttle missions left, I would think these last few will get plenty of media coverage. Check the main network feed locations near launch time, like 72,99, 103 and possibly 83W ku for an hd re-uplink.

NASA - NASA TV But I don't think it's HD, and compressed heavily. Don't know of any other source, all other pages I've seen use these same feeds. NASA TV should be on Ku also(My opinion)

Well, it was in the clear on 119W DBS until E* scrambled it earlier this year. That said, the 87W C-Band feed directly from NASA blows away the E* feed completely in terms of quality. It would be nice to have a Ku-Band backup of the NASA mux. 125W would be a great location for it...

I have contacted NASA several time in the past about a Ku band feed of the NASA channels with no response. I had also contacted members of our congress about how a Ku band feed would serve all of the USA better than a C band feed. More Ku band dishes than C band now, but its typical goverment and no one cares or wants to hear how they could truly do something for the American people that would help promote NASA and its missions.

Well, it was in the clear on 119W DBS until E* scrambled it earlier this year.

I have a Dish subscription. That's why I was specifically asking about the HD version. I suppose HDNet will carry the launch, but I'd like to see the HD channel full-time, and I don't really want to put up a big dish for one channel.

The NASA HD channel is 720p, but has very high quality. The astronauts regularly downlink HD video that they shoot during the mission, and it is stunning. Since the HD channel is more like a feed channel, I doubt any of the pay services will pick it up. I could be wrong, though...

STS-133 postponed yet again... From nasa.gov:

"Managers determined last week more tests and analysis were needed before proceeding with Discovery’s STS-133 mission to the International Space Station. Discovery’s next launch opportunity is no earlier than Feb. 3 at 1:34 a.m. EST."

Maybe Santa will drop off an Openbox before then... ;)

Space Shuttle Discovery is once again set to launch on its final mission. Tanking is taking place now, and the launch will take place at 4:50 p.m. Eastern if all goes well. Weather is 90 percent favorable. Coverage is ongoing on NASA-TV in both SD and HD.

Discovery is currently in her third day of her final mission, and will dock with the ISS this afternoon.

Good luck and Godspeed to Discovery and her crew!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)