SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jul 8, 2004
Virginia Beach
Microsoft: Students to get Windows 7 for £30/$30

Microsoft: Students to get Windows 7 for £30/$30

Tom Warren on 17 September 2009 - 13:26 · 106 comments & 14021 views
Advertisement (Why?)
Microsoft has taken the wraps off an amazing offer for UK and US students today.

Students in the UK and US with a valid email address (an email address given by the college or university, e.g. name@leeds.ac.uk) will be able to purchase Windows 7 Home Premium or Windows 7 Professional (upgrade versions) for £30 and $30 respectively. The offer will run until 3 January 2010 when the prices will revert to normal.

Microsoft confirmed the offer in an email to Neowin, "students will benefit from many of Windows 7's unique functions and applications which make PC's easier, simpler and more fun to use. For those students who have the latest laptops with touch screen technology, Windows 7 comes with enhanced capabilities for an enriched touch experience, allowing a more direct and natural way to work – it's also perfect for netbooks. Other features include remote media streaming, improved gaming experience, enhanced security and integration of Windows Media Centre for more central and convenient management of music, movies and photos."

To take part in this offer please see more information at the Windows UK Student Offer site or the Windows US Student Offer site.

Update: Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Korea and Mexico will also have similar offers but exact pricing varies by market. Details will follow.

How many key codes are supplied with this?
As many as there will be buyers...:)
It's just an attempt to jump-start the adoption.
Eventually many universities will offer it to their students/staff for even less...

Please note that the versions with the most interesting features - VID, DirectAccess, BranchCache, etc. - are not included: they come with Enterprise/Ultimate versions only.

Diogen.

Now the big question is do they put a limit on how many you can buy at this price? I would like to get enough copies to upgrade the couple machines that are running Vista.

I wonder....how do they tell the difference between a student .edu address and a faculty/staff .edu address?

I just tried my address and it worked. I am only staff at .edu . They must just check to verify a legit address. If you forward the link they send you, you are disqualified. You can get the CD for $13 more shipped. The $30 is for 1 key and electronic download.

I am buying a copy of office later this week, I usually use OpenOffice.org but the wife is taking classes and is learning word, and I have to use excel with Inventor.

Was hoping they would do windows 7, I have a PC that crashed so bad the recovery partition is lost, and I can not find the disk and nothing I have done to get it back has worked, not even a copy of Suse. For some reason it installed and now when it boots it goes to a blank screen.

So I bought a copy of the Office Ultimate last night, did not opt for the backup dvd, not worth the 13 bucks when I can burn my own, for less than a buck. Did pay 5.95 for the digital backup though, never know when you might loose a disk or something.

I had to install it twice, I was having a moment, forgot to uninstall the 60 day trial of Office Home and Student, and it messed with the new install, once I uninstalled both and then reinstalled all was fine.

I wasn't going to buy it cause I was holding out for Office 2010 but that is at least 6 months away and needed something now, and 60 bucks was not a bad price. one thing I did notice in the agreement was you can install on a computer and a mobile device like a laptop, so that was pretty cool. suprised Microsoft allowed that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts