Stumped with my TV tuner...

Snoob

Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Hell and thanx in advance to anyone that can help...
So I bought the ATI Tv pro 650 (usb) tuner. and I can't for the life of me get it to work. I have never used one before.
The Catalyst software that it comes with is kind of "meh", so I'm trying to use it through Windows Media Center, and I get to the point in the installation where it seems to recognize the tuner and stuff, but on the next part a message tells me WMC cannot find the software necessary to control set top box....The tuner came with an IR sensor that will control Media Center but how do I get media center to talk to my set-top box?

Forgot to mention the signal im trying to use is from a Dish DVR reciever in my daughters bedroom upstairs, all i did was split her outgoing signal to her tv... please help

The Catalyst software that it comes with is kind of "meh", so I'm trying to use it through Windows Media Center, and I get to the point in the installation where it seems to recognize the tuner and stuff, but on the next part a message tells me WMC cannot find the software necessary to control set top box....The tuner came with an IR sensor that will control Media Center but how do I get media center to talk to my set-top box?
You have started at the end and are working backwards without knowing if there are any show-stoppers in the middle.

What model receiver is in your daughter's room?

If you know it will work with IR, have you set up an IR extender that will reach it (the WMC can't control what it can't see with its IR transmitter)?

This would likely be a whole lot easier if you started at the WMC end filling in all of the blanks (like what kind of receiver you're controlling) and worked towards the bedroom.

Thanx to both of you for the responses, I appreciate any help I can get at this point .
And I suppose you're right I did leave a few holes in the story Harsh.
The receiver Im using is a DishDVR625 (I'm not sure of the manufacturer though can find out if need be) This receiver has 2 outputs on it 1 for tv1 which is in the bedroom, and one for tv2 which is in the living room. Tv2 has a high powered remote that can penetrate walls and stuff. I'm splitting the signal from the Tv1 port.
Harsh you mention an IR extender, is this my missing element?

The receiver Im using is a DishDVR625...
This is a good thing as you can control TV1 via IR without having to tinker around.
Tv2 has a high powered remote that can penetrate walls and stuff.
The TV2 remote is a UHF radio style.
I'm splitting the signal from the Tv1 port.
This is as it should be. I don't think WMC can see an STB that outputs the UHF range.
Harsh you mention an IR extender, is this my missing element?
Your WMC has an Infra-Red emitter that it uses to control things. IR is line-of-sight (although it may bounce off of things in the same room and work). You need to set up a pair of devices that will relay the signal to the receiver via RF or wire. Without this setup to relay the signals, the 625 will be blind to WMC.

Okay so I need to set up some remote transponder( at least i think thats the correct device) for my IR sensor that came with my tuner to be able to interact with 625?
Im starting to wonder if I should just order a new FTA reciever, instead of buying even more equipment
Although I just spent 150 on this card and everyone says it's a pretty good one...hmphh.
I guess my other option would be to rent another STB for my media room downstairs, but that also defeats the purpose of the tuner....

Okay so I need to set up some remote transponder( at least i think thats the correct device) for my IR sensor that came with my tuner to be able to interact with 625?
I believe I'm making progress.
Im starting to wonder if I should just order a new FTA reciever, instead of buying even more equipment
Unless you're in it for NASA and Muzak, FTA isn't going to get you much for the investment required. FTA is more of a hobby than a tool. Perhaps you're still way ahead of where you should be. Journeys like this should start with a clear definition of where you want to go. Picking away at steps in the middle often doesn't get you where you're going.

In the very broadest of terms, what is it that you want to do with the WMC?

Could this task be better met by a standalone DVR or even a DVD recorder?

The thing is I was led to believe by the salesperson at BB (yea I know),
that with this tuner I could simply plug it in and it would act as a STB of
sorts.

I think maybe the kid thought the STB was in the same room as the computer , although I'm fairly certain I told him otherwise...

I need to be able to watch TV independently, regardless of whatever programming is on in my daughters room, however it's looking like the only way to accomplish this is to acquire a separate standalone receiver, located in the same room as the computer...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)