Stupid Question 4:2:2

Status
Please reply by conversation.

GaryPen

Rich or poor, it's good to have money.
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Another stupid newbie question before I make my purchase. What is 4:2:2? It sounds like something important. Is it something I want? I was seriously considering the Fortec Mercury II, but the review makes it sound like it does not have this capability. If it doesn't, which receivers have this capability?

Will it be hard to find a receiver with Blind-Scan, Component Out, AC-3, USALS, and 4:2:2?

Thanks.

only commercial grade irds (few thousand dollars) will have 4:2:2

the other option is dvb (pci cards for the computer), with the right codecs you can decode 4:2:2, as well has hdtv :)

The Quali-TV ($700) will decode 4:2:2, AC3 and have Component Out, however there is no blind-scan. There is no receiver that will do 4:2:2 and Blind Scan. :(

Thanks guys. I guess I'll have to wait until I build the HTPC to add an FTA card for that feature. (And just use an STB today)

However, you didn't answer the first part of my post WHAT IS 4:2:2?

Ohoops, Sorry :)

4:2:2 is a form of video encoding. Quick summary is it provides better video quality then 4:2:0 (What standard DVB is).

"What's 4:2:2 and HHR MPEG-2?

When MPEG-2 encodes color and picture information, it samples the analog picture at certain resolution both as horizontal and vertical pixels, but seperately as color (chrominance/hue) and brighness (luminance). The DVB specification calls for 4:2:0 encoding which put simply means that the resolution of the color information is one quarter of the resolution of the video information.

Since studios need better quality than DVB offers, an extension to MPEG-2 has come about that isn't part of the DVB spec but has its own specialized defintion within the MPEG-2 standard. This is called 4:2:2 format or MP@4:2:2SP meaning "Main Profile 4:2:2 Studio Profile". In this system, double the amount of vertical color information is transmitted.

Another format exists that is in very common use today. Called HHR for half horizontal resolution, this part of the MPEG-2/DVB standard transmits only half of the normal 720 pixel horizontal resolution while maintaining normal vertical resolution of 480 pixels (although, since it's 4:2:0 format, the color information is only encoded at 240 pixels vertically and 176 pixels horizontally. A lot of the smaller DBS (like the ethnic packages on T5 etc) use HHR format since it dramatically reduces the bandwidth needed for channels - of course at the expense of picture quality. Special logic in the video decoder chip in the set top box, re-expands the picture to its normal horizontal size by interpolation prior to display.

4:2:2 video at Standard Definition looks just as good as the NBC analog feeds on GE-1 Ku. High bandwidth 4:2:0 video like the NBC digital feeds on GE-1 Ku come very close to studio quality and the low bandwidth stuff encoded in HHR format, looks a lot like VHS quality.

The following diagram shows the ratios of 4:2:0, 4:2:2 and HHR resolutions. I could explain why the ratio used for 4:2:0 is written as 4:2:0 but that gets mega-complex and is beyond the scope of this document. If you want to know more, I highly recommend getting a copy of Digital Video: An Introduction to MPEG-2 by Barry Haskell, Atul Puri and Arun N. Netravali - ISBN 0-412-08411-2."

Further reading here.........

http://www.coolstf.com/

Pretty much if you want to watch a lot of sports backhauls, you're going to want a receiver that will do 4:2:2 and HD (the only thing right now is a PCI card for the computer). Almost all the major sporting events, whether it be collegeiate or professional or whatever, are in HD...and even a lot of them not in HD ARE in 4:2:2. So, if you're a college football fan, better start getting that HTPC together.

Yes sir. A lot of MLB backhauls are in 4:2:2, and if not 4:2:0. Either way, it seems that your HTPC is the way to go!

bidaw said:
Yes sir. A lot of MLB backhauls are in 4:2:2, and if not 4:2:0. Either way, it seems that your HTPC is the way to go!

There aren't that many MLB backhauls unless you're talking HD...then there is

Some MLB teams that have a OTA affiliate use C-band analog for games (Detroit, Seattle, Houston, Texas)

GaryPen said:
But, are there a lot of HD MLB backhauls? It'll give me something to look forward to in the Spring. There's one team in particular that I'm interested in. (I don't wanna say which one, though.)

Yes, Gary. There are plenty of Yankee games on :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)