Stupid Sirius ?

bryanw20

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 28, 2006
Does the Dish Sirius count as a "Sub" to be able to add say a factory installed Ford Sirius at the discounted rate?

My guess is no, but it's not woth the $15/mo for my 5 mile ride to work, but for $7 I'd think about it.

Stupid Sirius??? It's not like you are paying for full Sirius service and get all the channels. Dish probably pays them a couple bucks for the music channels per household that subscribes.

It's only $12.95 a month if you pay monthly (cheaper if you pay for a year, two years, or lifetime) and you can listen online when not in your vehicle. Listen while at work during the day. Well worth every penny imo.

It's only $12.95 a month if you pay monthly (cheaper if you pay for a year, two years, or lifetime) and you can listen online when not in your vehicle. Listen while at work during the day. Well worth every penny imo.

A good price for some I'm sure. For me, I have a 5 mile trip to/from work, a 6CD/Mp3 player in the dash, simple inputs to use my own mp3 players, and no less than 9 local stations worh listening to. At home I get with my dsl free live streaming yahoo plus internet streaming radio channels (that are 100% comercial free, not talking between any songs, and I can skip ones I don't like), plus Dish's musik & Sirius channels & the Music channels on 4DTv (I think are the same as Dish's.
So I have plenty of choices w/o paying monthly for even more. But if it were cheaper I am getting hooked on a few channels on that short drive to work. That's like $.11 a song for me, assuming I get no talk on the drive (assuming 3 songs each way).

Stupid Sirius??? It's not like you are paying for full Sirius service and get all the channels.

I know it is just business and how you get to a profit, but the end users are often paying plenty for their "free" Sirius. As part of my new car package a year of "free" Sirius was included. Well, the auto company paid Sirius for that and then the auto company got the money to pay them from me - it was just hidden in the "package" price. Dish charges us for Sirius - it just happens to be "included". So Sirius then has a hook in the end user who now wants another receiver hooked up. At full price of course. Just smart business...

I can't complain too much about the car deal though because I whined big time to Sirius when they wouldn't give me the discounted price on the second receiver, and , somehow, despite quoted policy, they did give me the discount on an annual sign up.

TomP

Stupid Sirius??? It's not like you are paying for full Sirius service and get all the channels. Dish probably pays them a couple bucks for the music channels per household that subscribes.

I don't think he meant Sirius was stupid, I think he probably meant "Stupid Sirius ?" as in "Stupid ?(question) about Sirius".

"Well, the auto company paid Sirius for that ... "

Are you sure the auto companies pay for that "free" period?
I kinda assumed it was provided by Sirius at no charge, hoping they'd get you hooked so you sign up as a paying customer.

"Well, the auto company paid Sirius for that ... "

Are you sure the auto companies pay for that "free" period?
I kinda assumed it was provided by Sirius at no charge, hoping they'd get you hooked so you sign up as a paying customer.

I also think that's the case. I'm sure they keep a fair amount of customers after the free period.

I don't even have a drive to work but yet I have two radios. I haven't listened to FM in over 1.5 years, it's great. I couldn't go back. The time it really shines is one out of town trips. No radio stations dropping out, plus tons of channels, and the display is also great to see what is playing at a glance.

I also bought the portable boom box for my Sportster for times we are in the boat, outside, camping, or whatever. What is FM again? oh..that garbage. ;)

I don't even have a drive to work but yet I have two radios. I haven't listened to FM in over 1.5 years, it's great. I couldn't go back. The time it really shines is one out of town trips. No radio stations dropping out, plus tons of channels, and the display is also great to see what is playing at a glance.

I also bought the portable boom box for my Sportster for times we are in the boat, outside, camping, or whatever. What is FM again? oh..that garbage. ;)
I agree. I very seldomly listen to terrestrial radio. I have both vehicles hooked up to Sirius. I'm going to be getting a receiver for the boat since it already has a Sirius ready radio in it. And I have the Boombox that I use at the computer.

I like the Sirius channels and even own a little stock (long term investment), but I'm pretty sure that satellite radio has been a very negative force in terms of musical creativity. My short essay on the subject can be found at:

http://dyske.com/index.php?view_id=859

I would have to say that terrestial radio is the worst at stifiling musical creativity. Everything is pre-programmed and the only thing that gets played is the pop star that the radio industry has invented. The days of a jock spinning some quote new music by an innovative he likes are long gone. Everything is "packaged" to sell and talent is secondary. Check out how to create a popstar http://www.spikedhumor.com/articles/70434/How_To_Create_A_Popstar.html

I would have to say that terrestial radio is the worst at stifiling musical creativity. Everything is pre-programmed and the only thing that gets played is the pop star that the radio industry has invented. The days of a jock spinning some quote new music by an innovative he likes are long gone. Everything is "packaged" to sell and talent is secondary. Check out how to create a popstar http://www.spikedhumor.com/articles/70434/How_To_Create_A_Popstar.html

Personally I listen to JackFM 90% of the time. "Playing what we want", to me it's my MP3 player on shuffle 90% of the time I listen! Rarely is there sometong on I don't love, and even more rare bad enough to make me switch channels :)

Pay Clear Channel enough and you can get any song on the radio....becomes an immediate hit!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)