Sub on auto on??

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I was figuring over the life its best. One weird thing did happen this am, when I cut everything on, the Klipsch sub stayed with a red light and did not come on. Even after I did restarted everything it still stayed off. I cycled the auto switch to on and then back to auto, the blue light then came on and it was fine. Hopefully it was just a brain fart.

I was figuring over the life its best. One weird thing did happen this am, when I cut everything on, the Klipsch sub stayed with a red light and did not come on. Even after I did restarted everything it still stayed off. I cycled the auto switch to on and then back to auto, the blue light then came on and it was fine. Hopefully it was just a brain fart.

I use auto-on. The sub will not turn on imediately when you power up, but will power on when it detects a signal with significant bass being input. Mine usually powers up when the DVD hits the menu screen. It also does not immediately turn off, but delays 10 minutes without a bass signal before powering down.

By cycling the switch, you forced a power on, and then it was likely waiting for the timeout to occur before powering down.

Well, the wife was still asleep so it could have been to low to pickup maybe??

I timed the shutdown, it cuts off 10minutes after everything is shut down. Pretty cool.

After using mine for awhile, it works fine and does not need much of a signal to turn on. Even with the Denon at a level I can barely hear, it just need something with bass and then i tpops right on.

I never used auto on my Polk, it was on all the time.

Is it bad to leave it on? I usually use the auto feature but the volume can't be to low or the sub won't turn on or turns off after 10 minutes.

That seems like a feature to me. Bass carries. Just think of those kids cars with the big sound systems. It is the bass that carries through right into your car.

If you have the volume low, it is probably because someone else is sleeping or it is late at night. That bass that carries through everywhere is exactly what you don't want.

I learned the hard way and use Auto On on my JBL sub.

When I first got it, I had it plugged into a switched outlet on the back of my AVR so power was cut to it when I turned off the AVR. Well, after 10 months of this, the Auto On function went haywire (I'm assuming that was the cause) and would constantly click on and off whenever it wasn't receiving a strong/steady bass signal. I got a warranty service for it, but after 3 agonizing months, the service center still couldn't figure out the problem nor reproduce it themselves, so I finally just took it back, contacted JBL directly, told them of my woes, and they thankfully agreed to replace it.

I learned the hard way and use Auto On on my JBL sub.

When I first got it, I had it plugged into a switched outlet on the back of my AVR so power was cut to it when I turned off the AVR. Well, after 10 months of this, the Auto On function went haywire (I'm assuming that was the cause) and would constantly click on and off whenever it wasn't receiving a strong/steady bass signal. I got a warranty service for it, but after 3 agonizing months, the service center still couldn't figure out the problem nor reproduce it themselves, so I finally just took it back, contacted JBL directly, told them of my woes, and they thankfully agreed to replace it.

Power on sequencing is a tough engineering problem, and one that is often ignored by designers. I never recommend using switched outlets for anything more complex than a lightbulb.

Mine has been in the auto-on mode since day 1. Seems to come on almost instantly as soon as some bass content is detected, and goes off about 10 mins after I switch the receiver off. Seemless operation at any volume level. I'm assuming the standby mode draws very minimal current. But in about a year I will have incentive to challenge everything that doesn't have a hard off mode when our electric rates increase by (expected) ~50%...! I might have to start using the power switch on the suppressor strip a bit more. If so, I'll power up 5 mins. before I intend to start watching to let the 622 spool-up etc., then turn on the receiver and other components. The sub shouldn't behave any differently. (Not sure how the DPP44 will respond being powered-down. That piece might have to be isolated to an always-on branch.)

If you have the 622 powered down then it won't be on to record anything for you. Means your DVR is nothing more than a trick mode machine...

At present I use the 622 mostly for commercial skipping and PIP functions. I only record an occasional show, nothing on a regular basis. That's in part due to my HDD being almost full of stuff I want to keep and I haven't gone to an external HDD yet. Progress is slow in this household! To be sure if I want to record stuff I'll have to leave it powered-up at least for those events which I expect will remain only occasional. (I might upgrade the 211 with DVR capabilities before I do anything to expand the 622's capability. I assume I can then still PIP with the OTA and single sat tuners with the 211. If that works out well for me I might deactivate the 622 altogether and avoid the DVR fee.)

Sorry to Shanghai the thread...!