Sub rattle question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Ok, on certain movie scenes my sub makes a sound thats more like its trying to blow air and rattle than make boom. At other times it hits the bass just fine. I'm thinking maybe its just times where the bass is too low for the sub??

Did it again last night during the Paramount splash screen when Cloverfield was starting. This was more like a bass hit with a ripple effect, kinda like the loud footsteps of dinosaurs in Jurassic Park. When these types of sounds are played, the sub hits the first part ok, but during the ripple it makes very strange noises and doesn't give off much bass at all. Like I said, I'm wondering if it isn't just a level too low for the sub.

Here is the sub I have:
Buy the Polk 10" Subwoofer and other Home audio subwoofers at circuitcity.com

Guess it could be the port blowing low bass air too. Is this something thats normal for home audio subs?(this is my first powered sub but Ive seen this before in car audio). Thanks for any input.

Ah, thanks. Looks exactly like what I have.

Wonder if removing the grill during movies would help? Might have to look at upgrading, I just hate that it was $199, hate to spend too much more.

Wonder if removing the grill during movies would help? Might have to look at upgrading, I just hate that it was $199, hate to spend too much more.
$199 for a powered sub may be where your budget likes, but remember that you're talking about a serious speaker and a nnn watt amp.

Many of the smaller subs have problems with what I call wheezing. Even some of the larger ported subs wheeze.

Sometimes you have to go with what sounds right as something that sounds disturbing isn't worth the paper the invoice was printed on.

Ah, thanks. Looks exactly like what I have.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. You could try removing the grill, also might try varying amounts of a dampening material in the port (acoustic foam or even quilt batting). Those might help until your ready to upgrade.

NightRyder

Its not a BIG issue, I only hear it on about 1 out of every 5 movies, and its very quick. 95% of the LOUD action during Cloverfield sounded great. I dont feel its enough for me to replace the sub, but Id like to minimize it. I removed the grill and will look into some material to try out in the port.

I ran the calibration with the sub level at 50%, then increased it slightly. I turned it back down to 50% today thinking I may have had it too high for the movies.

Where is the sub located in your HT? Try a corner location for a little more oomph with less power. Also does the 605 have the auto set up using a mic. Chack to see if you have double bass turned on. Are your fronts set to small or large?

My Advent Powered Subwoofer started rattling and on inspection of the foam surrond it was time to replace the speaker. I buy lucky search on Google found a woofer rebuild kit at www.wooferrepair.com came with video. It's cheap and fun to rebuild.

My HT Sub is giving a death rattle... I need to replace the speaker also..

If you need replacements or like me went the DIY route try Parts-Express.com - Speakers, Replacement Woofer, Tweeter, Drivers, Subwoofer, Pro Audio, Car Audio, Horn Driver these guys have everthing, even kits Sub Kits

I use 4 12' sealed subs with lots of power and some EQ to get a nice flat response.
freq.jpg

It was calibrated with the Onkyo Audyssey at 50%, I then moved it to 60%. Its now back to 50% with the grill removed, will see how it acts.

"Built-in powered amplifier: Bring your favorite movies to life with rich, full bass provided by the 50-watt RMS amplifier.
40Hz-160Hz frequency response (+/-3dB): Get the full impact of your favorite movies with a 40Hz bass response."

Cloverfield is a SERIOUS heavy duty sub-put-to-the-the-test kind of movie...with a lot of that material going down below 20HR and from what you describe you sub didnt do all that bad. especially for what you paid...

Spend a lil more:
SVSound - Box Subwoofers

and get a WHOLE lot more if you can...especially if your HT is for movies...IMO...the sub is the single most import speaker you will buy for a HT followed closely by you center channel.....belive me when i say you will be SOOOO GLAD that you spent the extra money...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)