Subbing Dish from Canada

javier911

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 29, 2004
I searched the forums for a bit, there was a long thread about subbing DTV. From what I read this kind of thing is OK to discuss here, but if I am mistaken then sorry about that.

So I have a US address and my friend will handle the CC payment for me. My main issues are with the physical delivery of equipment and installation. My friend is down south now and doesn't care about TV himself, so won't be involved beyond paying for it. He has a house in MI I can visit, however it's unfinished and clearly vacant. If I do the standard deal and have an installer come out, I figure it will be obvious something isn't right there.

I believe there are self-install options, but some people say Dish will try to insist on an installer coming out. I wonder if I can have them deliver the receivers to MI and use my own dishes. Or maybe I can get the receivers retail and then bring them to Canada, use VOIP US phone to activate?

On a technical note, if I use my own dishes, what birds am I aiming for? I figure it's 110, 119, and then some third one (12x?) for additional HD channels. I was thinking about using an old dual BEV (std no built-in switch) along with a third single, and then run it all into some type of Dish brand switch, not sure which one though.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Buy your equipment and you can install it yourself. You'll want a 1000.2 or 1000.4 dish. New RG6 throughout.

depends on your area

I searched the forums for a bit, there was a long thread about subbing DTV. From what I read this kind of thing is OK to discuss here, but if I am mistaken then sorry about that.

So I have a US address and my friend will handle the CC payment for me. My main issues are with the physical delivery of equipment and installation. My friend is down south now and doesn't care about TV himself, so won't be involved beyond paying for it. He has a house in MI I can visit, however it's unfinished and clearly vacant. If I do the standard deal and have an installer come out, I figure it will be obvious something isn't right there.

I believe there are self-install options, but some people say Dish will try to insist on an installer coming out. I wonder if I can have them deliver the receivers to MI and use my own dishes. Or maybe I can get the receivers retail and then bring them to Canada, use VOIP US phone to activate?

On a technical note, if I use my own dishes, what birds am I aiming for? I figure it's 110, 119, and then some third one (12x?) for additional HD channels. I was thinking about using an old dual BEV (std no built-in switch) along with a third single, and then run it all into some type of Dish brand switch, not sure which one though.

Any advice would be appreciated.

If you are using VIP rec or DVR's then you could go w/ 61.5, 72.7 & 77 for EA. Original install now E* pretty much wants it done by 1 of their techs. As the 1000.4 for the EA is not the easiest to install. So don't know how you can get around that.

When you get it all set up call dish from an US number (VOIP or such) to activate it all. If you own everything they can get you going.

Regarding location, I am right near Detroit. Would I be able to use my older dishes and a new Dish switch to get the birds I need and fed to the receiver? Or, will I have to find a 1000.x setup?

I don't need a DVR, I was just going to get the default "RCVR 211/411 HD SOLO" from their online shopping cart. According to Dish rep, the basic solo HD is $149. Not bad actually. If I do this, where do I actually buy it from? This would be a first time customer so does that mean they will insist on installation? If so, how do you think an installer might react to a vacant house?

@navychop, when you said new RG6, do you mean a 1000.x requires newer RG6? Like quad shield? I already have a couple old RG6 runs into the house, but they aren't quad shield.

Thanks for the responses.

Regarding location, I am right near Detroit. Would I be able to use my older dishes and a new Dish switch to get the birds I need and fed to the receiver? Or, will I have to find a 1000.x setup?

I don't need a DVR, I was just going to get the default "RCVR 211/411 HD SOLO" from their online shopping cart. According to Dish rep, the basic solo HD is $149. Not bad actually. If I do this, where do I actually buy it from? This would be a first time customer so does that mean they will insist on installation? If so, how do you think an installer might react to a vacant house?

@navychop, when you said new RG6, do you mean a 1000.x requires newer RG6? Like quad shield? I already have a couple old RG6 runs into the house, but they aren't quad shield.

Thanks for the responses.
DISHSTORE.NET :

I live on the border, but the US address location is about an hour outside Detroit. To be clear, are you recommended this reseller because they are friendly to Canadians that want to do this? I mean, are they OK dealing with me AND actually knowing what I am doing?

Or maybe you just wanted to refer them to me in general. Please clarify :).

What I would do (and actually this is what I did to sub to DN outside the US), buy the equipment not directly from DN, of course then self install, just call them for activation telling them everything is hooked up, if you don't have a US SSN decline promotions as you will not be on the radar and thus these would not apply.

I only meant not to use old ratty coax or to save a penny by buying RG59.

What about bringing the equipment into Canada? Anyone have any experiences with that? Trouble? Am I better off shipping it to myself?

Can I ask why you want to sub to US dbs service? One of the nice things about Canadian service I've always envied when visiting is being able to get both Canadian and US broadcast networks in many different time zones. Here we get our broadcast nets only for the market in which we reside or "move to". It seems like last time I visited, the US nets came from Boston, Detroit, and Seattle and CTV was from Halifax and every other major city/time zone through Vancouver and PST.

What about bringing the equipment into Canada? Anyone have any experiences with that? Trouble? Am I better off shipping it to myself?

If you get checked at customs, it likely won't make much difference. I think shipping would be least likely to be checked at customs if it was repackaged into a plain box. But it's always a roll of the dice. For the life of me with everything else that is going on in the world, why getting service from another place in the world is unlawful is beyond me.

Last edited:
Can I ask why you want to sub to US dbs service?

There are just so many more channels I like from the US services. One thing is movies, many of the Canadian "movie" channels have commercials. I also love History and History Int'l, and Canada's History Television just doesn't stack up. One really annoying thing is often the latest season of a series is not available in Canada, they are showing last season or in some cases nothing at all. This is especially bad considering nowadays many people like to follow a series and also participate in online fan communities. When you're a season behind, it's ruined.

I almost never watch the regular big networks, I prefer specialty channels.

Can I ask why you want to sub to US dbs service?

There are just so many more channels I like from the US services. One thing is movies, many of the Canadian "movie" channels have commercials. I also love History and History Int'l, and Canada's History Television just doesn't stack up. One really annoying thing is often the latest season of a series is not available in Canada, they are showing last season or in some cases nothing at all. This is especially bad considering nowadays many people like to follow a series and also participate in online fan communities. When you're a season behind, it's ruined.

I almost never watch the regular big networks, I prefer specialty channels.

I think I understand that preference to watch US tv rather than Canadian, since I had to cancel my DN sub and replaced it with Shaw Direct.

So, overall what does everyone think about the install at a house that is largely vacant with most parts under construction? Would the installer possibly flag the account for audit? Or am I just paranoid?

There aren't even any TVs there, but I can bring a 24" HDTV.

So, overall what does everyone think about the install at a house that is largely vacant with most parts under construction? Would the installer possibly flag the account for audit? Or am I just paranoid?

There aren't even any TVs there, but I can bring a 24" HDTV.

maybe the installer will think "this guy is a satellite tv junkie" he needs his installation even before furniture....!!!

I´d say relax, I would think he would only care about doing his job.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)