Subchannel Discussion Thread

H&I has updated it's schedule to include new shows Relic Hunter, JAG, BeastMaster and Nash Bridges. Quest is also adding Yukon Gold to its schedule. Hopefully they add more new series like this soon as the schedule is gone very stale with shows repeated regularly. It doesn't help that a lot of the shows the acquired don't have many episodes.

Reactions: danristheman
Why does Antenna show Sabrina the Teenage Witch in through all the old classic TV series like Silver Spoons and Johnny Carson? It seems very random. It's the only show of its kind on the channel and it sticks out.

Sabrina isn't the only program on Antenna from the '90s (either started inside the 1990s or the bulk of its run was in the '90s)--Wings, Dear John, Murphy Brown, Coach, and probably at least one other series. Hell, MeTV has incorporated more '90s (and early 2000s) fare in their programming recently (Touched by an Angel is a prominent example), as has Cozi (The Nanny and the original Will & Grace). These channels aren't specifically tied down to show a certain era of TV programming. Just like the previous poster stated, it's all a matter of supply and demand.

Antenna TV just announced today on their Facebook page that they're tweaking their lineup once again (third time since the start of the calendar year); new shows being added include What's Happening Now! (airing weekdays 5pm ET after its parent show, shifting Gimme a Break to 5:30), Archie Bunker's Place (never mind the fact the parent show left ATV before the end of last year, and was one of the original shows ATV launched with), The Paul Lynde Show, and Lotsa Luck.

The lineup goes into effect on July 16th.
http://antennatv.tv/pdf-schedule

Reactions: Larry1
Herein lies another bit of magic (or tragedy) of the OTA syndication model. A station may carry a subset of episodes of a show without offering you ready access to the rest. At that point, you may be forced to rent (or buy) the rest of the episodes from or through some other service.

Reactions: danristheman
Herein lies another bit of magic (or tragedy) of the OTA syndication model. A station may carry a subset of episodes of a show without offering you ready access to the rest. At that point, you may be forced to rent (or buy) the rest of the episodes from or through some other service.

You also just described (Sony) Crackle...among their original content, there's also loads of classic TV shows from their library (and from Universal), but it's only selected seasons. Starz, to their benefit, at least offers complete seasons of the classic shows that they own the rights to (ironically enough, it's Sony and Universal shows).

Weigel & CBS to start "StartTV" network
will replace Decades in most of the O&O markets
Start TV Network
Weigel Broadcasting Co. announces the launch of the new multicast entertainment television network- Start TV, beginning Monday, September 3, 2018, in association with CBS Television Stations. Start TV showcases strong and resourceful female leading characters in a lineup of contemporary and proven procedural dramas. Each lead character and series embody a boldness and determination to “Start” leading the way, seeking the truth, solving the crime, and defending the innocent.
Weigel To Launch ‘Start TV’ Female Diginet - TV News Check
The new network will replace Decades, another Weigel-produced diginet, on most, but not all of the CBS O&Os. However, according to Weigel’s VP of Marketing Will Givens, Weigel remains committed to Decades and has already lined up new affiliates in Chicago, Los Angeles and elsewhere.

I know it's owned by CBS but it's a wonder they're airing The Good Wife on a subchannel. It a recent hit show. You'd think the rights would be locked up with cable/streaming and it wouldn't be able to air on a subchannel?

I just wish they'd start a music video channel similar to what The Tube and Cool TV used to be like.
Right now most music video subchannels air country music, Spanish music and religious music, but there's no channel for pop, top 40, rock, jazz, rap, etc. to call home.

Sometimes I watch TBD when I see some funny web videos on the "Q You" show that are worth a look.

My city is a major sports city in media market 68 (READS 75), yet has little luck getting good digital subchannels on their TV stations. I would love to have Decades and H&I, an actual Ion TV O&O (with Qubo as a subchannel) instead of an Ion TV subchannel on one of my local TV stations. I just hope the TV market improves improves in the future...

By starting a channel where the the programming is focused on 'female leading characters in contemporary procedural dramas', it doesn't give much scope for content. It's a very narrow focus. Would it not be better to have a broader focus on programming like just 'contemporary procedural dramas'?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)