Subchannel OTA Guide Data - Dish's Criteria

SKrueger

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 18, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
Anyone have a clue as to what criteria Dish uses in deciding whether or not to carry OTA subchannel guide data? I can't complain too much as Dish does carry a good amount of subchannel data in my area but there are some OTA networks that I would like to see guide data for (Comet TV, Heroes and Icons, Bounce...)

Is there a method for submitting a request to carry specific subchannel guide data?

Anyone have a clue as to what criteria Dish uses in deciding whether or not to carry OTA subchannel guide data? I can't complain too much as Dish does carry a good amount of subchannel data in my area but there are some OTA networks that I would like to see guide data for (Comet TV, Heroes and Icons, Bounce...)

Is there a method for submitting a request to carry specific subchannel guide data?

Dish typically carries only the .2 channel allocation only. In certain cases they might have the .3 but it is very rear

There has been a lot of discussion on this. No one seems to know how they decide it. Lots of opinions but, in most cases, they do not conform to empirical evidence.

Reactions: Tampa8
If the sub-channel existed around the 2008-2009 or a couple of years after that, odds are very good that Dish provides the guide data for it.

If the sub-channel existed around the 2008-2009 or a couple of years after that, even if it changed network affiliation, for instance, changing from MeTV to GRIT, odds are very good that Dish provides the guide data for it.

If the sub-channel was added after 2012-2013 or so, it's unlikely to have guide data.

If the station made a change to the sub-channel's TSID (Transport Stream IDentifier, I think), it's unlikely to have guide data.

The TSID is the key. On Dish's end, channels are matched up using this value and the 'database' that Dish uses is no longer touched. That's why if a channel is added or changed after that database was last modified, guide data doesn't show.

Reactions: DWS44 and osu1991
Our south Mississippi (Gulfport-Biloxi DMA) PBS station broadcasts standard definition on 19-1 (why, this is the 21st Century???) and high-definition on 19-2 and Dish doesn't provide the OTA guide data for the 19-2 sub-channel. Very annoying when trying to set up DVR timers. I once e-mailed Mississippi Public Broadcasting asking them why they did this and never received an answer. No other area PBS (Alabama or Florida) does this.

I live in a semi major market, and guide data for OTA subchannels suck. I would like to just get Antenna TV data, whoch is a pretty popular sub channel across the country. I've begged on social media, and email. No love.

The TSID is the key. On Dish's end, channels are matched up using this value and the 'database' that Dish uses is no longer touched. That's why if a channel is added or changed after that database was last modified, guide data doesn't show.

Which is supposedly the VERY same problem w/D*'s OTA guide data...except non of their receivers even let you scan for active channels, to at least be able to view them - EPB data or NOT.

Here on the Northern Oregon Coast, we have a mix.
2.1 KATU
2.2 METV
2.3 Comet (Not listed)
6.1 KOIN
6.2 Get TV
6.3 Decades
8.1 KGW
8.2 Justice TV
8.3 Estrella (Not listed)
10.1 KOPB
10.2 OPB+ PBS
10.3 OPB Radio
12.1 KPTV
12.2 COZI (Not Listed)
12.3 Laff (Not Listed)

I figure since we have Laff on 73, we should have the guide info on 12.3. Now FETV runs COZI on 82, and we get COZI 12.2, that might be different. Strange we get Decades on 6.3 guide info and Justice TV on 8.2.

Here on the Northern Oregon Coast, we have a mix.
2.1 KATU
2.2 METV
2.3 Comet (Not listed)
6.1 KOIN
6.2 Get TV
6.3 Decades
8.1 KGW
8.2 Justice TV
8.3 Estrella (Not listed)
10.1 KOPB
10.2 OPB+ PBS
10.3 OPB Radio
12.1 KPTV
12.2 COZI (Not Listed)
12.3 Laff (Not Listed)

In Eugene we don't have data for OPB+, but we do for OPB radio. Probably goes back to when 10.2/28.2 was the SD feed that was on DISH and 28.3 was OPB+. If Portland DMA can have the data for the channel, why can't Eugene?

If Portland DMA can have the data for the channel, why can't Eugene?

Go back up and read Hall's post...that's probably the best explanation I've seen of how we've got to where we are with subchannel guide data. Trying to make rationalizations like comparing what you have with other DMAs will only drive you nuts. ;)

Reactions: osu1991
I figure since we have Laff on 73, we should have the guide info on 12.3. Now FETV runs COZI on 82, and we get COZI 12.2, that might be different. Strange we get Decades on 6.3 guide info and Justice TV on 8.2.

I am able to receive OTA from Baltimore and DC. There are several subchannels I get from each but often I get guide data from one city and not the other. This whole thread presupposes that there really is some rhyme or reason to it all. I am not sure there is.

Read my post above. The name of the network makes absolutely no difference, nor does the coincidence that Dish happens to carry the network on satellite. There's simply no link between COZI on channel 82 and your local COZI sub-channel.

I am able to receive OTA from Baltimore and DC. There are several subchannels I get from each but often I get guide data from one city and not the other. This whole thread presupposes that there really is some rhyme or reason to it all. I am not sure there is.
Read my post above. I'll about guarantee you that the sub-channels that you don't get guide data for were added by the station in the past couple of years.

Reactions: eacalhoun
Go back up and read Hall's post...that's probably the best explanation I've seen of how we've got to where we are with subchannel guide data. Trying to make rationalizations like comparing what you have with other DMAs will only drive you nuts. ;)

It does not seem to match the situation here. We get guide data for some recently added channels (cozi, Comet etc.) and we do not have guide data for some that have been there for years.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts