Subchannel OTA Guide Data - Dish's Criteria

I would like to see if anyone knows why when your on a Dish OTA Tuner when it drops to 58% the lost signal warning pops up.

It does not seem to matter if the tuner is built in the receiver,or a module,or a dongle,they all display that warning.

But with my TV's OTA built in tuner,it will not lose the signal until it hits 10%.

I would like to see if anyone knows why when your on a Dish OTA Tuner when it drops to 58% the lost signal warning pops up.

It does not seem to matter if the tuner is built in the receiver,or a module,or a dongle,they all display that warning.

But with my TV's OTA built in tuner,it will not lose the signal until it hits 10%.
Because the meter readings are not the same? In other words, they're measure different issues.

Reactions: osu1991
There's simply no link between COZI on channel 82 and your local COZI sub-channel.
Yes, and the same thing applies to LAFF in spite of the fact that the national feed of LAFF has the same programming as the local affiliate most of the day. The last time I checked, there is a block of time early in the morning when the national feed on channel 73 only shows "Paid Programming" while the local affiliate carries the regular LAFF schedule. Still, it would be nice if Dish would map the guide data for the national feed to the local channel. Even wrong guide data is better than no guide data.

Suggested that for years. It could be done because DISH built the Dish Pal Dvr for ota 5 or 6 years ago and it used Psip guide data.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys mobile app

I don't feel like finding it, but the last time I brought this up someone argued about the R&D and maintenance this (utilizing PSIP guide data) would require on Dish's end. Of course, the millions of DTVs sold since 2007 have had the feature and I don't remember having to upgrade the software in those at any point.

It would be easy to enable the sub channels that DISH doesn't carry guide data and the channels themselves to PSIP data. Hell they could even use the internet to provide guide data from another source if you have your receiver plugged into the internet. Kind of like Channel master dvrs do. There are many ways that they could provide this. It is just a question of whether they want to or not. So far they don't seem to care that the ota guide data is not fully supported.

If there is no money in it for Dish, why should they care. OTA is no money for Dish and as others have said, there are not many of the 13 million customers that even have OTA hooked up. Do any of you dealers have any idea what percentage of your customers have OTA hooked up?

The only reason for doing it would be as a service to customers. DISH does push the idea that OTA is available it would eb nice tos ee them facilitate its use even if there is no direct benefit.

If there is no money in it for Dish, why should they care. OTA is no money for Dish and as others have said, there are not many of the 13 million customers that even have OTA hooked up. Do any of you dealers have any idea what percentage of your customers have OTA hooked up?

I may the odd one out, but I'd be willing to pay a buck or two for guide data if it covered all OTA channels, not just a selected few. Here in LA we have well over 100 OTA channels. Altho' a lot of them are international or shopping programming that I have no interest in, there are still many that are of interest.

Also, if it's wrong for only a 4-hour block every day, then the rest of the day would still be useful.

Reactions: pattykay
If the programming block in the guide is the correct length, you can select that block to set a timer for that time-slot, instead of having to set a manual timer for the time-slot on a channel displaying "Digital Service" in the guide.
Ahhh yes, that's a valid point. Too bad we can't edit event names after they're recorded.... Used to be able to (on the ViP DVRs).

Reactions: pattykay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)