Subs on KU

Status
Please reply by conversation.

moseley

SatelliteGuys Family
Oct 12, 2005
I know this comes up quite a bit but I don't remember seeing a satisfactory answer.

I called the number from this web site Satellite Receivers C band and 4DTV satellite programming

They assured me that with a KU setup I would be dandy (without the guide). Can someone tell me what mapping is and if I need it to view. In other threads it seemed to be an issue. He also said that all the channels are on x-4 which I assume is Galaxy 16. If so is this the HITS listed on lyngsat?

Is anyone doing this without C-band? All in all the support guy seemed more clueless than I, which is pretty bad, he couldn't tell me where x-4 was other than "in the middle of the sky." And my questions through him for a loop.

You need a 4DTV receiver for this to work. Check on our 4DTV threads in the C-band section.

HITS is used by cable companies to receive the popular networks for distribution.

I have a few friends doing this right now, they loaded the latest maps at my house via C-band, it has been a few months now and they seem to be happy, I said they can remap anytime at my place I don't mind.

You will only need to remap if new channels are added or some are removed, or if the channels are rearranged (never really seen this)

I have a few friends doing this right now, they loaded the latest maps at my house via C-band, it has been a few months now and they seem to be happy, I said they can remap anytime at my place I don't mind.

You will only need to remap if new channels are added or some are removed, or if the channels are rearranged (never really seen this)

So it has to be done? I also see this

"webSAMS is available to Internet users. Purchase services and re-hit your unit(s) from the web." and Also "Note: The best place to do re-hits/refresh signals for digital are located on a few satellites, for instance G1-3 or 150, G0-101, or C3-101. Also if trying to re-hit from X4 go to channel 440."

Is a re-hit the same as a map? Cruising the internet looking for a 4dtv now.

Rehit is just a signal to authorize , or re-activate your receiver/descrambler.
Mapping is something else, apparently you have to get access to a c-band satellite in order for the rec to download the channel maps.

I'm confused, too

Well, at the Programming Center site, under both the Digital ala Carte* and the Digital Packages*, they say pretty clearly that Ku is all you need.
I'm not betting any money, but that's how I read it.

* click the appropriate button to get a PDF file with the relevant info.

Picked up a used DSR920 4DTV for $20 a few weeks ago and am currently subbing to the KU Sports Pack on X4 through SRL. Works great - the only thing you can't download without C-band is the EPG.

Being proactive, I went ahead and sent it to ATS Electronics last week to get a new battery since the unit is approx. 7 years old. I also asked them to reload the satellite list and channel maps before sending it back so I should be good to go from here on out.

Chuck -

I've seen other members do the same, but nobody has ever mentioned a price.
How much does that make your $20 receiver really cost? :rolleyes:

Chuck -

I've seen other members do the same, but nobody has ever mentioned a price.
How much does that make your $20 receiver really cost? :rolleyes:

Although I have not received a formal estimate, I was quoted approx $75 over the phone (new battery/return shipping from ATS). If you include the shipping charges to get it to ATS, my total spend on the unit is approx. $120 ($20 price + $75 ATS + $25 Shipping). Not too bad since these units are typically selling for at least that much on Ebay.

Considering that it also functions as a pretty good analog receiver, I think the total spend is well worth it. :)

The guy at support was pretty clueless but he said that C-band was not required. When I asked about mapping he said that I couldn't get the guide. I guess the jury is still out.

I am still confused where anything is if it isn't HITS, I don't see anything at 99.

Well, at the Programming Center site, under both the Digital ala Carte* and the Digital Packages*, they say pretty clearly that Ku is all you need.
I'm not betting any money, but that's how I read it.

* click the appropriate button to get a PDF file with the relevant info.

Rehit is just a signal to authorize , or re-activate your receiver/descrambler.
Mapping is something else, apparently you have to get access to a c-band satellite in order for the rec to download the channel maps.

Went down this road two weeks ago. Turbosat has it exactly right.

Also keep in mind if you get a new 4dtv you need to authorize it for digital on C-band and then load the maps on C-band after this you are good to go.

On Galaxy-16 ku you can get activation hits for your services, I think SRL said there was plans to set up maps on the ku side of this satellite but you never know when it comes to Motorola, from what I know there is still no maps on any ku satellite for 4dtv.

most of the info is right. You need to see C-Band to get the maps. 4DTV is different as the satellite has to load the channels into the box. It isnt like DVB where you can scan in channels. Loading the maps is basically saying "loading the channels into the receiver"

After that, you do not need C-Band. You can hook a KU dish up to G4/G16 and subscribe to the KU packages.
As noted above, the only time you need C-Band is to get the newest maps and that is only if the channels change or you hit "master reset" :D

Also keep in mind if you get a new 4dtv you need to authorize it for digital on C-band and then load the maps on C-band after this you are good to go.

On Galaxy-16 ku you can get activation hits for your services, I think SRL said there was plans to set up maps on the ku side of this satellite but you never know when it comes to Motorola, from what I know there is still no maps on any ku satellite for 4dtv.

For the maps & guide to be loaded on X4, HITS (Comcast) would have to dedicate bandwidth to do that on one of there transponders. Don't know if Comcast is that big dish friendly? We are along for the ride more or less using there Cable/Hits 2 Home feeds. Starz/Encore is providing bandwidth at there cost on G1-3 now. As much as having the maps and guide on X4 would be cool, I don't see it happening soon.

The guy at support was pretty clueless

If you are talking about Motorola support, they are pretty usless. When I first got my Satworks I called them with a couple of questions and later I found out that they were no where close with their answers. The best one was when I made a comment about backhauls and live feeds, the guy said "Oh, you won't get that any of that, backhauls are a thing of the past." I have not called Motorola since. About three days later I discovered this site and was in business in no time.:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.