Status
Please reply by conversation.

wvman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 19, 2014
N. Central WV
I was wondering about subscription services on FTA. The receivers have the option to scan for free only and all, which brings up encrypted channels. Do these receivers have the capabilities to handle subscription channels? I know a few years back, there were people on the internet talking about a firmware update that received DISH channels. If it actually worked, it would seem like there are some capabilities for subscribing to subscription services. I've actually scanned all channels to see how much subscription services are available on certain satellites, and it looked like there are multiple services available, but I'm not certain what extra equipment would be needed, if any.

I was wondering about subscription services on FTA. The receivers have the option to scan for free only and all, which brings up encrypted channels. Do these receivers have the capabilities to handle subscription channels? I know a few years back, there were people on the internet talking about a firmware update that received DISH channels. If it actually worked, it would seem like there are some capabilities for subscribing to subscription services. I've actually scanned all channels to see how much subscription services are available on certain satellites, and it looked like there are multiple services available, but I'm not certain what extra equipment would be needed, if any.
Any place selling a subscription would require you to use their equipment. The short answer is no.

Do these receivers have the capabilities to handle subscription channels?
Yes, quite a few do, but not on this continent. Got to be in the EU. This side of the pond, requires the providers equipment, as norman881 pointed out.
I know a few years back, there were people on the internet talking about a firmware update that received DISH channels. If it actually worked, it would seem like there are some capabilities for subscribing to subscription services
Hack firmware doesn't enable subscribing, only stealing, we don't condone that here. Nor talk about it's how or where.

I was only using the reference to FTA receiving DISH several years ago as an inquiry into the capabilities of these receivers, not to promote stealing satellite signals. I was a satellite dealer and installer in WV for nearly thirty years, and did not participate in any of the theft going on at the time. I lost several DISH customers due to these activities that cost me a lot of money, so I wasn't happy about it either. I didn't mean to imply that I was interested in doing it. My only interest was in finding out if subscription services were available.

Reactions: FTA4PA
Any place selling a subscription would require you to use their equipment. The short answer is no.
I figured that would be the case. I used to have a 4DTV subscription on this dish, but I wasn't happy with the price, or the poor selection of channels, so we dropped it. Like a lot of other people, we're not happy about where the programming is headed either. It's all too political, and aimed at special interest groups, and their format leaves a lot to be desired. I wouldn't want to raise my kids watching television today.

Reactions: norman881
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)