Success! 622 connected via cellphone

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

rcdallas

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 3, 2006
West Texas (midland)
Here's the scoop...

Where I'm at, I can't get cable internet due to everything being RG59, my only option is DSL and I'm not paying for a home phone for which I'll never use.

Currently I use a bluetooth connection onto my cell in which I connect at EDGE speeds, it's not broadband, but for $20 it's faster then dialup.

Since the 622 now has ethernet cabilities to connect with, most importantly the phone line fee, I started thinking I wonder if I can get the 622 to connect to DISH through the bluetooh connection that I use.

Here's how I did it.

I have my normal bluetooth connection active, I just setup a bridged connection with XP's network setup with my NIC. I took the NIC and plugged it into the WAN side of the router with the 622 connected normally into one of the router ports, did the broadband setup, got an IP address along with a DNS server address.

After that was set I went into menu 6-3 and tested the connection and sure enough it connected via broadband.

Now I can finally save $5. Sweet! :D

ARe you showing in the counters menu that you did indeed connect with DISH? IF not then you just have the broadband feature showing working. As far as I 've seen you can not connect yet to DISH using the call out feature with the ethernet,although I can upload files through the ethernet. From what I read on the other boards DISH still requires a phone line till they fully support the ethernet connect features for both the receiver and the dishhome applications. I even asked a csr -not the brightest I am sure- if she could tell if all 3 of my receivers were hooked up by phone and ethernet and she said that she could not. Also she told me the only new feature we got was external hard drive support. She knew nothing of the ethernet connect features. I am sure that she was not informed, but till you see the dish home feature connect via ethernet, I wouldn't thank we are safe yet from the no phone connect fee. But look and see if your next months bill shows the fee indeed gone.

Yup, it connected. In the counters it does show last connect 9-2-07.

My next bill will be all screwed up from loosing discounts to adding HD and such so trying to decode it will be something else. Time will tell.

Actually I've heard of several other people connect via cell phones. Some of them had a cellphone that included a adapter designed to allow PC modem's to connect to them. Other's have had to go through some hoops to do it. I guess the new ethernet adapter will allow other strange techniques.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts