Successful Launch and deployment of SXM-7

Sears was the biggest catalog retailer on earth for decades. IIRC, at one time, you could even buy a pre-fab house from them! Why didn't Sears become Amazon before Amazon ever existed? I guess the Sears Catalog disappeared before Lampert's buyout. But still, he continued the demolition/bleeding of a great company, and he is one of my least favorite persons. :mad:
Bob Haller totally agreed with you and I believe he smiled from above when you posted that!

Bob Haller totally agreed with you and I believe he smiled from above when you posted that!
IIRC he saved his strongest venom for that JC Penny's guy they brought in from Apple. What was his name? Oh, yes. Ron Johnson. It is obvious from these cases that, no matter how great your company is or was, it can still be demolished with lousy leadership.

I save my strongest venom for the DEC CEO, Robert Palmer, who took over a great company, sold off all the profitable parts, so weakening DEC that he could sell it to Compaq. Back then, at least Eckhard Pfeiffer had some vision. But then Ben Rosen ousted him and installed another jerk whose name escapes me, and they they then sold to HP. What a mess!

Reactions: Foxbat
I have a Chrysler 300 with a "SiriusXM" radio too, and it doesn't get channels in the 300 range either. As I understand it, there are very few radios that can handle both Sirius and XM technology. My 300 has a Sirius radio in it. Who manufactured your truck?
Might be using some kind of cellular technology

Sears was the biggest catalog retailer on earth for decades. IIRC, at one time, you could even buy a pre-fab house from them! Why didn't Sears become Amazon before Amazon ever existed? I guess the Sears Catalog disappeared before Lampert's buyout. But still, he continued the demolition/bleeding of a great company, and he is one of my least favorite persons. :mad:
Sears WAS amazon...it evolved into store...amazon just a glorified catalog service

Sears had poor management, completely lacking in vision. Dumped the catalog and fully set up ordering and delivering system, which ran quite well - just before they could have added Internet ordering, strangling Amazon in the crib.

I have a Chrysler 300 with a "SiriusXM" radio too, and it doesn't get channels in the 300 range either. As I understand it, there are very few radios that can handle both Sirius and XM technology. My 300 has a Sirius radio in it. Who manufactured your truck?
Ford F-150

If that was the case then why did Sirius buy out XM in 2007?
I really don't have any idea how that deal was structured. I just read that somewhere, I think in a magazine, several years ago. My memory at the time was that neither company was going to survive unless the two merged. Not a true merger I guess since they kept both platforms in place. The savings came by not having to duplicate the same genres on different channels on separate platforms, they just put the same exact channel on both.

Sears had poor management, completely lacking in vision. Dumped the catalog and fully set up ordering and delivering system, which ran quite well - just before they could have added Internet ordering, strangling Amazon in the crib.
Sears was in trouble in the late 90's. I wonder if they even thought of turning the catalog into an online resource. Amazon wasn't a thing at this point so Sears probably never saw the train coming.

Sears was in trouble in the late 90's. I wonder if they even thought of turning the catalog into an online resource. Amazon wasn't a thing at this point so Sears probably never saw the train coming.
Actually, Amazon started in 1994. I placed my first order with them in January, 1999.

Reactions: reddice
....Sears probably never saw the train coming.

Precisely. Couldn’t see a major solution to their troubles, and a new future.

Reminds me of the idiots at the dawn of aviation, declining to invest. “We run a steamship company.” NOPE. They were running a transportation company, for people and cargo. Ships were just tools.

Reactions: TheKrell
“During in-orbit testing of SXM-7, events occurred which have caused failures of certain SXM-7 payload units,” SiriusXM said in a Jan. 27 report. “An evaluation of SXM-7 is underway. The full extent of the damage to SXM-7 is not yet known.”

“The SXM-7 issue will have no adverse effect on the operation of our satellite radio service nor on our existing fleet of operating satellites,” a SiriusXM spokesman said by email. “SXM-7 was intended to supplement the existing fleet of SiriusXM satellites. Our XM-3 and XM-4 satellites are healthy and fully operational, and are expected to support our satellite radio service for several years.”

SiriusXM also operates the XM-5 satellite, an in-orbit spare designed to supplement the existing fleet.

Maxar is currently building another SiriusXM satellite, SXM-8, which is scheduled for launch in 2021.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts