Suggestion

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

W_Tracy_Parnell

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 19, 2005
South of Buffalo NY
After being a member for awhile it seems to me that some of the same "Newbie" questions come up over and over again. While the members here are glad to help out, I still think that some well-written step by step walkthroughs would be a welcome addition to the FAQ area. These would be "newbie" type walkthroughs and include the basic information they need to get up and running. I would suggest that there could be one walkthrough per receiver type. The newcomer could then be refered there saving time and bandwidth.

I would volunteer to do the walkthrough for the Coolsat 4000 pro if the idea is seen as worthwhile. I know when I had problems I used walkthroughs by Tron and Truckracer and they really helped. But I just think that receiver-specific walkthroughs would be better and make a classy addition to the site.

Thanks

I think it's good idea!

Some repeated questions such as "how to find your true south", "how to fine-tune dish to sat", "how to get GOL TV", etc... deserve a "sticky" type of thread somewhere here....

Good idea.

Even a compilation of Q&A harvested from different threads would work.
If anyone wants to set out to attempt it let one of the mods know.

One of the problems with new posters is that if they ask a question which has been answered 400 times, if we recommend the search feature or the FAQ area it isn't a very friendly welcome although we try to maintain a flame-free friendly forum (Try saying that after a couple of Sam Adams).

I think once the FAQ area is sorted out we need to work on a standard greeting for new posters to direct them to that area.

Cascade said:
Good idea.

Even a compilation of Q&A harvested from different threads would work.
If anyone wants to set out to attempt it let one of the mods know.

One of the problems with new posters is that if they ask a question which has been answered 400 times, if we recommend the search feature or the FAQ area it isn't a very friendly welcome although we try to maintain a flame-free friendly forum (Try saying that after a couple of Sam Adams).

I think once the FAQ area is sorted out we need to work on a standard greeting for new posters to direct them to that area.

I agree with your comments. I have started a walkthrough for the Coolsat/SG2100 combo. I can even host it on a seperate site during the development phase if needed. That way members can look it over and suggest any changes. I will probably use links to this forum very liberally throughout.

Here is another suggestion. A list of known good working components and where to get them. For example, give a zip code and the best size of dish and LNB to get the most channels. There are some really good reviews on receivers to help a N00B make a decision on that, but nothing really to decide on the right dish. I think the dish and LNB I have is too small for my zip, I can only get a few TP's on G10 and I have a very good LOS.

That's a good idea but might be beyond the scope of what I am trying to do. I just put some general information in the beginning to round out the FAQ somewhat. It is mostly meant to get a Newbie started seting up the system. Hopefully, others will follow my lead and come up with some other stuff.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts