Suggestions for 2 HD tv package

menelfloss

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 16, 2007
I have two HD sets in the house and currently am driving one with a 622 and the other with a 722 in order to get full HD on both.

After looking at my monthly charges below got any ideas how I can get two TVS with HD cheaper without removing showtime?

HD120 $10
Americas Top 120 $39.99
HD Duo (2TV) DVR receiver $17
HD Platinum $10
Service plan $6
DVR service $6
Showtime $13

Love the DVR's and the service has been great throughout the past three years.
Thanks.

I would ask to swap the 622 with a 612 and that would lower the bill by $7 then do the HD for life and save the $10 a month so bringing your savings to $17 a month :)

If no tv2 in use, downgrade 622 to 612, save $7. Do HD free for life promo on web site, save $10. Consider dropping Platinum, save $10.

You can always get HD free for life which would save you $10 a month. You don't mention if you have any other TV's besides the 2 HDTV's, so maybe you'd consider going to a 612 or 211 along with your 722 (211 is $7 a month, 612 is $10 versus the $17 you're paying now). You can always add an EHD to the 211 for a one time $40 fee also (doesn't include cost of EHD purchase).

HD120 $10
Americas Top 120 $39.99
HD Duo (2TV) DVR receiver $17
HD Platinum $10
Service plan $6
DVR service $6
Showtime $13

Along with what's already been said:
  • Drop the service plan and add it later if you ever need it: $6/mo savings
  • Free HD Platinum offer (maybe you qualify), else drop it: $10/mo savings
  • Drop Show & try the 30th anniversaty free Starz for a bit: $13/mo savings
Unlikely idea: You could also consider just going to the 722 receiver if you don't need to watch both TV's at the same time. You can get HD to 2 TV's on that receiver if you connect one to HDMI and one to component. You'd be limited to watching the same thing on either TV at a time since the output for both is from TV1, but it would be HD. You could run it in single mode and use the UHF remote from anywhere. That would save you $17/mo or $7 more than what was mentioned above by switching the 622 to a 612.

So if you did all of those suggestions, for the first year you might be able to save $56/mo. or 55% off your bill!

You guys are great. Thanks so much for all the great ideas.
Seems to me the most cost effective is to only have the 722 with HDMI hooked to the close set, and then remote for the distant set.
Have them in single tv mode. I am assuming that I could watch broadcast channels over the air independantly from the dish signal. So in that case both tv's could be set to different programs as long as one was broadcast.
I will look into the HD Platinum offer to save the $10 per month, and drop my service plan. I initially went through two previous 722's but the one I have now is very stable and has been working for a long time.

Sound right?

Sounds right - as long as the OTA antenna is connected to a different input on your TV and you're not trying to run it through the Dish receiver to be the 2nd program you are watching.

You could still have the TV2 coax going to the second TV for when you are okay watching the other TV in SD and run it in Dual-mode for both to be watched at the same time. You'll just have to make sure you get long enough HDMI cable from point A to point B. A good source is www.monoprice.com

One TV will have HDMI going to it, and the other will need the component video cables (3 RCA type connectors) AND audio cable(s) (RCA Stereo red & white, OR digital audio). So I'd pick the shorter run to be the component/audio cables, and the longer run to be the single HDMI.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)