Suggestions for a good DVD recorder??

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Fgsilva

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 10, 2004
Vallejo, CA
So I got $60 from best buy rewards and I'm thinking about using it as part of payment for a DVD recorder (to save the non-HD stuff from my HD TIVO and watch it on the go! :D ). Suggestions of good reliable brand/models? It would have to be either DVD+R or one with both kinds since I have DVD+R in my laptops. Also, the DVD + HD seems like a great option but so far they're all so darn expansive!

Thanks!

Are you looking for a tabletop or a PC model? I prefer to offload the RAW MPEGs from my DVR and burn them with my $60 Optorite. This offers the most control, most reliability, most compatible (both record and play) than any other method.

TT: HDRW-720

PC: Optorite DD1605

Hey thanks!

I'm looking for a tabletop. The philips does look good but still a bit too much for me.

charper1 said:
Are you looking for a tabletop or a PC model? I prefer to offload the RAW MPEGs from my DVR and burn them with my $60 Optorite. This offers the most control, most reliability, most compatible (both record and play) than any other method.

TT: HDRW-720

PC: Optorite DD1605

I have the Sony RDR-GX300 DVD recorder hooked up to my HDTivo. I commute via train every day, so I spend 2 hours catching up on my Tivo'd shows. Sony's model is perfect, easy to use, you can use any type of DVD format....check out their manual online and you will easily see the differences between + or - R/RW formatted discs. I happened to get mine cheaper than retail as I bought it from Sears eBay store.

Finally, you can hook up your HDTivo and your VCR without changing cables...there are 2 line inputs. Hope this helps...good luck!

I've heard good things about the iLo from Walmart.
It's apparently perfectly sufficient and very, very cheap.

No personal experience, though.

If I were to get a dvd recorder now i would want one that could record from cassettes as well as dual format. These are pretty cheap now around $200 compared to $400 last fall. Now by this time next year they will have new technologies out (blue ray and some other technology) as well as hd dvd recorders. Of course they will be around the same price as dvd recorder/vcr combos were this time last year.

And that's one of the reasons whey I don't want get something too fancy or expensive right now. But it seems that the blue ray x HD DVD story seems to be just putting more delay into an actual release of the technologies. Now, I check the sony blue ray recorder and it seemed to me that it could only record OTA; it didn't have an HD input for let's say a sat reciever. So, if with either technologies I still can't record HD from my receivers they wont' be of much use for me!

mikedz4 said:
If I were to get a dvd recorder now i would want one that could record from cassettes as well as dual format. These are pretty cheap now around $200 compared to $400 last fall. Now by this time next year they will have new technologies out (blue ray and some other technology) as well as hd dvd recorders. Of course they will be around the same price as dvd recorder/vcr combos were this time last year.

mikedz4 said:
If I were to get a dvd recorder now i would want one that could record from cassettes as well as dual format. These are pretty cheap now around $200 compared to $400 last fall.

You can do that with better quality for around $60 - $70 if you have the PC models. BUT if one just has their heart set on one that must be in the den, then I "guess" the extra $130+ is worth it.

got the HDRW720 from phillips. a floor model.has the dvd+-R burner and 120 gig hard drive. ended up costing me 260, including 4years warranty. didn't have the original remote so they gave a phillips universal remote. but the darn thing doesn't work!!! :mad: spent a couple of hours trying and it turned on everything else except the the DVD burner. going to try to find the original remote through phillips or get another universal at best buy. and,without the remote the unit can NOT be operated!!

Thanks!

Unfortunately I haven't been able to access the sites you listed below. Maybe they are down? I try copying and pasting, or only using www.remotes.com and nothing still. I'll keep on trying.

thanks again!

Oldman2 said:
Check this out.
I have bought from them 3 times and had exact replacement or better shipped each time.

Fast service.

I have no connection in any way to this company.

http://www.remotes.com/remotes/servlet/rs?a=Search&o=c&m1=HDRW720&uid=1128769152999

Here is a tiny to the same link:
http://tinyurl.com/dvnutover several years

The links appear to be dynamic links created by a search function. That usually makes the available only to the original user, thanks to a cookie placed on their PC.

Originally Posted by Oldman2
Check this out.
I have bought from them 3 times and had exact replacement or better shipped each time.

Fast service.

http://www.remotes.com/remotes/servlet/rs?a=Search&o=c&m1=HDRW720&uid=1128769152999

http://tinyurl.com/dvnutover

I just tried the Tiny and it failed.
Never had that happen before.

The other works fine.
Also the www.remotes.com address works.
Go there and enter model nunber.

Ok. today it works! Thanks a lot! $50. though, ouch! That gets me a bit scared though. if even with the original remote it still doesn't work that may be due to a problem with the DVD recorder (which I can still return to best buy) but then I may be stuck with a remote...

UPDATE: I ended up getting it directly from PHilips. they had it for $45.00 +20 ON shipping.

Oldman2 said:
Originally Posted by Oldman2
Check this out.

Fast service.

http://tinyurl.com/dvnutover

I just tried the Tiny and it failed.
Never had that happen before.

The other works fine.
Also the www.remotes.com address works.
Go there and enter model nunber.

And to my surprise, Costco had the same unit for $199.00! I went back to best buy and they matched the price. But, in the end, I'm still paying more for an open unit from best buy as oposed to it brand at costco. but best buy offers a 4 year extended warranty plan, which may be advantageous for me in the end. decisions, decisions...

Fgsilva said:
Ok. today it works! Thanks a lot! $50. though, ouch! That gets me a bit scared though. if even with the original remote it still doesn't work that may be due to a problem with the DVD recorder (which I can still return to best buy) but then I may be stuck with a remote...

UPDATE: I ended up getting it directly from PHilips. they had it for $45.00 +20 ON shipping.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)