Suggestions for using an existing ground mount for a heavier dish?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mjac

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
FL/TN
I currently have a 4.5” OD x 108” pipe in a 12”~14” diameter x 48” deep hole w/ 8 - 80# bags of concrete in a TN mountain side. A 10.5’ no name mesh dish in mounted on this pipe.
I want to mount a considerably heavier 10’ perforated dish (not mesh) on this pipe. This dish uses a larger sleeve which will slide over the 4.5” OD pipe. In looking over the manufacturer’s installation manual, it suggests a 4.5” OD x 96” long pipe buried 36” deep in a 18” diameter x 58” deep hole or a 24” diameter x 52” deep hole. Concrete blocks are shown to support the pipe at a 36” depth in the deeper holes.
As I see it, my options are to;
1) Leave it as is and take my chances.
2) Dig it up. Hammer the old concrete off and start over.
3) Plant another pipe. (My LOS is very limited and the current location is the best)
4) Carefully excavate around the existing pipe to achieve a desired 24” diameter x 52” deep hole and back fill with additional concrete. This option is the most appealing but without a way to “bond” the new concrete to the old concrete gives me concern.
What say ye?

1... The concrete would flow around and anchor the old with no additional problem

2... Unless you are in sand or wet clay, there is probably no advantage to disturbing the compacted earth to 'fill' a bigger hole.

3... If you are a mountainside, and there are LOS problems, that probably means trees and there is not a big wind problem, therefore, no problem!

I think you will be fine with 640 lbs of concrete holding that pole in place...
I second that. Unless your soil type is sandy or soggy loose, and/or high winds are a concern.

I would go with what ya got. I don't think the additional weight of the perf dish is much of a factor, wind loading is the main issue. And if the existing pole was sufficient for the 10.5' mesh it should be fine for the 10' perf.

Thanks guys, I appreciate your collective experienced input.
I am going to leave it be.

My first big dish was a solid 8 footer with a 3 1/2 od steel mast. When I got my Birdview and its mast was 6 inch od, I decided to slip it over the smaller one. I drilled a hole all the way through the bigger mast at the top, and at right angles to that hole, another hole all the way through at the bottom Trying to carefully drill a smaller hole in the smaller, inner mast, I tapped the inner hole and screwed a half inch bolt in there. I did that for all four holes. When I screwed the half inch bolts into the inner mast, I made sure there was a nut on the bolt. Then I used those nuts to adjust the outer mast perfectly plumb. I then filled in with concrete the donut shaped space between the inner and outer masts.

The other thing I did was not tighten too hard down on the mount, so that if a strong wind happened, it would twirl around on the pole instead of twisting the whole deal to hell. Of course I marked the sweet spot with a punch and the one time the wind twisted it, in calmer conditions I just lined the punch marks up again and I was back in business.

I think this method would work with the original footing. If you just snug the new dish up and not tighten it for all it's worth, you can get this done well for almost nothing

The ID diameter of the sleeve for the 10' dish is sized to go over the size pipe I have in the ground. It is a snug fit and it has several holes with nuts welded in place around the OD, top and bottom, for setting bolts.
Thanks for the tip to not hard tighten the mount and marking it.

Well that is super easy then. A snug fit. Great. But I would go over the smaller one looking for bumps to grind off.

I might also pour concrete down the inner pipe. Might even oil the inner pole so the outer would have less of a chance to get stuck, good luck

I have gotten into the habit of using (sparingly) some wheel bearing grease on the top few inches of the pipe where the mount covers it on all my ground mounts. I guess on this one, I'll grease the entire length.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts