suggestions new customer whole home / wait for hr34?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

trckn4life

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 26, 2007
Hello, I am thinking about signing up as a new customer for whole home dvr for 2-3 tvs possibly. Do you like whole home? If I order two HD DVRS can I then schedule any from any tv? Are the shows pooled or do I view by box with two?

Any idea how soon the hr34 will be available in Charlotte NC? I really would like it but I don't have tv's that are capable of being connected without a box. Any suggestions?

Directv has yet to of put a official release date on the HR-34. It has been talked about since the beginning of this year.

With a whole home set up, they use one HD DVR for the home, then the HD Receivers in other rooms. You can have up to 15 HD Receivers connected to the HD DVR.

I don't know much about the whole home DVR, but you can share the playlist with the other TV's.

I believe you can record on any TV, but keep in mind you can only record two shows at the same time with the HD DVR, or the whole home.

So if I go with current whole home dvr does it make sense to get another hd dvr to add recording space/channels? also current I have no tv programming other than OTA. What options are available for adding OTA is it an additional box/unit? I know with OTA I really miss a dvr. Also I would like some additional channels/programming.

You should receive OTA with the programming package, as Directv Local channels cover 98 percent of homes.

If not, they sell a OTA tuner that plugs into the receiver, allowing you to have the OTA channels in the guide, and be able to record them.

If you can get the 2nd HD DVR for free, by all means do it. But I dunno if you can network playlists together between two HD DVRs. Like I said I don't know a whole lot about it.

You should receive OTA with the programming package, as Directv Local channels cover 98 percent of homes.

If not, they sell a OTA tuner that plugs into the receiver, allowing you to have the OTA channels in the guide, and be able to record them.

If you can get the 2nd HD DVR for free, by all means do it. But I dunno if you can network playlists together between two HD DVRs. Like I said I don't know a whole lot about it.

Trkn,
You WON'T get the OTA signal from D* with the programming package ...

What you MAY be able to get is the Local channels that you would normally get OTA via D*'s Sat feed, provided your in an area that D* covers, YES they cover a very large area now.

We don't know where you reside, so we can't tell you if they are available yet.

What city / Zip Code do you live in ?

I live in Charlotte NC. So, I would imagine a lot of locals would be available in HD.

If I understand it correctly with the current HD DVR it has two tuners and you can record two shows at a time but if you want to watch a show on it and have two shows recording currently you must watch one of those shows. Is that a correct statement?

I know with the HR34 the main advantages that I see:
5 tuners
PIP
the advantage that if I get a new tv that will support it the remote viewing (via ethernet I guess) can be done (aka no box/receiver is needed). Say on a samsung with built in ethernet that is a smart tv?

Also, thanks for the assistance. Anyone have any idea what deal they may have come Nov 25th?

You can record two shows at once, a "live stream". While those two shows are recording, you can watch anything you have recorded in your playlist, or VOD content.

I'm waiting for the HR-34 to come out, and then I will do a free HD DVR upgrade. I already have a HR-24, but being able to tape 5 shows at once is nice. Sometimes I want to record as many as 4 channels at once.

I live in Charlotte NC. So, I would imagine a lot of locals would be available in HD.

If I understand it correctly with the current HD DVR it has two tuners and you can record two shows at a time but if you want to watch a show on it and have two shows recording currently you must watch one of those shows. Is that a correct statement?

Almost,
Yes it has 2 tuners, however, if your using both tuners to Record, you CAN watch a previously Recorded show as it would be on the Hard Drive ...

All of the stations in the Charlotte, NC market are available in HD. WCNC (NBC, 36) has 1 of its sub channels available as does WUNG (PBS, 58).

All of the stations in the Charlotte, NC market are available in HD. WCNC (NBC, 36) has 1 of its sub channels available as does WUNG (PBS, 58).

Your local should show up on the 99 Sat transponder 20.

I don't see any reason you shouldn't be able to get your locals in HD, you can check the Signal strength on that trnsdr and you should have high 90's with most of the rest may be low, but thats OK if it is.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)