Super Audio CD

TheKrell

A mighty and noble race originating on Altair IV.
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 4, 2007
Fairfax, VA
Remember SACD? I moved this comment from the Dish forum the better to stay on topic there.
other digtal formats like SACD
I am the only person I've ever heard of who bought one of those players, which I still have. It could also play the DVD Audio format. I can probably find the 15 or thereabouts SACD's.

Alas, my analog preamp developed issues so I almost never crank it up.

Heard of but wasn’t willing to spend the bucks back then on the higher quality. I do have a Sony player that does SACD.

The reality for me is that I hardly listen to any music on disc. I’ll buy, rip, and use as high quality MP3s. Usually I find the additional content on the DVD-A or Blu-ray these days justifies buying them.

Reactions: TheKrell
A standard audio CD is 16 bit 44 kHz sample rate. SACD and DVD-A are 24 bit. the sample rate can be from 44 kHz to 192 kHz depending on how it's mastered. As I understand it the main difference between SACD and DVD-A is the container that holds the digital information.

I've moved on from spinning plastic discs a while back. All my music has been ripped to a RAID hard drive. For extra redundancy I also have a backup drive.

Any new music I purchase is from a download service such as...

My PS3’s would play them and bought a couple discs but never went farther then that for me.

I have a very well working Sony SCD-CE595 SACD changer. Although not TOTL for the time, it still works perfectly.
I only have a few SACD's in my collection. Even for stereo CD's the sound is noticeably better than the other ones I use. I have a vintage component system in almost every room here. It comes from doing repairs and restorations as a hobby/job.

Reactions: TheKrell and TRG
I have a few SACDs and DVD-As. And a single OPPO that can play them both.

I still prefer media. I can then copy to USB or whatever I want. Used to play only rips of CDs in car players after a good one got eaten. Shop recovered it for me while doing other work.

Reactions: TRG
That's a shame. What are the symptoms? It could be something simple to fix.
One channel or the other keeps going out! Not sure whether it's the selector switch, or one of the pots, because what works to get it back differs from one time to the next. But I used contact cleaner and sprayed the hell out of all of them without completely solving the problem. Crown IC150 feeding a Carver M400 driving Ohm Walsh II's.

Bought a couple DVD Audio disks long ago when my Acura TL, no idea which year, would play them. No longer have an audio disks, everything is in iTunes now. Still have a bunch of DVD and Blu-ray disks.

Did you spray the tape monitor and filter push buttons on the bottom? The signals go through there too. Removing the face plate allows better access. Not sure which contact cleaner you are using. Caig Deoxit is some of the best. Yes, it does make a difference.

Excellent questions; no I did not do that. But either the volume or the selector switch seems to clear the condition, so I don't expect the switches on the bottom to be involved. I would have to look at my contact cleaner when I get home. But Caig Deoxit doesn't come to mind. It was cheap stuff from Walmart. :( If it was seriously crappy cleaner, then that would explain the durability of this issue.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)