Super Joey Problem

When I watch something on the super joey tuners, the pictures freezes for a slight second when I change the channel. It also happens around every 20 minutes. Is there something I can do to fix it?
I'm surprised that it's working! Upgrade your 1500ft run with RG11 cable and that may just give you the boost needed.

Eh.....not true. You can watch a joey anywhere you can get enough bandwidth over your network. And I do mean ANYWHERE. I have a regular standard joey working at another location about a mile from the hopper.

Can you repeat that a bit louder please? I cant hear you.

Eh.....not true. You can watch a joey anywhere you can get enough bandwidth over your network. And I do mean ANYWHERE. I have a regular standard joey working at another location about a mile from the hopper.

Do you have one of those 1 watt max routers you can buy?..Thats max for FCC..

A couple of things, you could also vlan the Joey to the Hopper to another location using a very fast hsi connection with awesome upstream rates., but that would be a TOS violation.

Also to get the maximum from a 1 watt router, put it on your nightstand next to your bed. The vivid dreams are amazing.

ps, whoever and however these playtex bra ads are showing up on these pages, thank you!!

That may be the furthest distance I've ever heard of for a person's dish install. I'm surprised it works at all.
I believe he'd need about 52Mb of bandwidth to watch a tuner on the joey If it is getting a feed from the hopper, and that's amazing if he's RG6 on that 1500' run! Especially true if it's hooked to the same dish. I haven't seen it specifically stated that a SJ will work off of another dish. I've yet to see runs over 550' on RG6 establish any kind of connection.

A couple of things, you could also vlan the Joey to the Hopper to another location using a very fast hsi connection with awesome upstream rates., but that would be a TOS violation.

Also to get the maximum from a 1 watt router, put it on your nightstand next to your bed. The vivid dreams are amazing.

ps, whoever and however these playtex bra ads are showing up on these pages, thank you!!
Routers are right next to their antennas, which are directional and do not throw radiation at and structure. Think 1w is powerful? Go look at what your smart meter is throwing out!

PS: How is someone who registered in 2006 a 'new member'? Post counts are worthless indicators for member identification.

PPS: gog "adblock" and start enjoying the internet again.

PS: How is someone who registered in 2006 a 'new member'? Post counts are worthless indicators for member identification.

PPS: gog "adblock" and start enjoying the internet again.

Regarding your PS, I consider a member someone who participates, the more participation the higher the rating.

Regarding your PPS, this website costs money to operate, large amounts of money. You have two choices here, become a pub member or put up with the ads. Yes, Adblock will kill the ads, and using your attitude as an example, it will also kill the website....

It's close to 1500ft from the lnb to the super joey and it is around 350ft from the super joey to the hopper

As others have said, the distance is off the charts. As others have also said, if not using RG11, then it should help.

But why so far for the Joey? At 350 feet from the Hopper it too is well outside of Dish spec. Could the SJ be placed closer to Hopper, keeping the moca side of things in spec, then use a regular Joey where the TV is needed, connected via wireless or cat5?

Last edited:
Regarding your PS, I consider a member someone who participates, the more participation the higher the rating.

Regarding your PPS, this website costs money to operate, large amounts of money. You have two choices here, become a pub member or put up with the ads. Yes, Adblock will kill the ads, and using your attitude as an example, it will also kill the website....
I have to disable ads in order to use the internet. My current connection bounces between 400kb and 1.6Mb. The difference between usable and unusable is substantial. 25 seconds for a web page load because of ads is no good, and it happens on most sites. Animated gif and flash based ads hosted from slow-to-respond sites have ruined the internet as a whole. I do business with advertising supporters of forums, who in turn pay to advertise on forums. You guys have been around a long time, and I'm sure it's not my ad impressions keeping this place afloat. Having a lot of knowledge and allowing friendly discussions of what is possible with a system, are 2 things that add to your site's value.

A discussion on how to extend the range of a receiver is important to some people, and just assuming that it's at a neighbors house as suggested above is neither beneficial to the discussion, nor a positive comment to make. Some people have very valid reasons for doing so, ours for example is to be able to watch TV in the barn while staying up all night long watching a horse ready to foal. Dish already allows you to view your TV Anywhere via the hopper.

The best solution for long LAN runs is made by a company called UBIQUITI. If you're in the US, they have 900Mhz wireless lan devices that can go extreme distances depending on the install. They are pretty cheap for what they offer, you can span several miles using 2 $150 devices as well as setup a long-span wireless network around larger properties. These devices are all-in-one meaning you just hook up an ethernet cable to them. VERY simple!

Last edited:
Reactions: stardust3
I was introduced to Ubiquity products a few months ago. They are outstanding in every way.

Seems there were some threads awhile back on using the network to feed a joey. I'd be interested in the actual setup for the joey to work this way.

I was introduced to Ubiquity products a few months ago. They are outstanding in every way.

Seems there were some threads awhile back on using the network to feed a joey. I'd be interested in the actual setup for the joey to work this way.
Just obtain any of their AIRMAX products and setup them up as a bridge. Face the devices at each other....plug one into your home network, the other into the JOEY at a distance. DONE!

Super simple, the 900Mhz products are great because they penetrate trees and other obstacles substantially better than 2.4ghz.

Just take 2 of these devices on the same frequency and you're done . http://www.ubnt.com/airmax/nanostationm/
The 900Mhz units are $130 shipped online. I like them because they have awesome software and they're antenna/electronics all in one.

Reactions: stardust3
I'm having same issue as OP.
Super Joey will freeze every now and then.
Sometimes when I change channels I get no pic or sound. Have to reboot Hooper.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Thanks, for some reason I thought there was more to it than that. Seems pretty straight forward.

So 900mhz is better for point to point? What about the channel width setting on AirOs? Default or 20 mhz? I hear conflicting info on that.

I'm having same issue as OP.
Super Joey will freeze every now and then.
Sometimes when I change channels I get no pic or sound. Have to reboot Hooper.

If you do not have cable lengths outside of Dish's stated specifications, start a new thread. This thread is related to freezing due to extremely long cable lengths. The longer the run the less likely data will be able to pass through it, if any at all gets through at all.

Thanks, for some reason I thought there was more to it than that. Seems pretty straight forward.

So 900mhz is better for point to point? What about the channel width setting on AirOs? Default or 20 mhz? I hear conflicting info on that.

Yes, 900mhz is better for going through obstructions. The channel width just depends on if it 'works' or not. For maximum bandwidth, you want the largest channel width possible. If your connection is not stable with say 40mhz, drop to 20 then 10 then 5. The 'fatter' the channel, the more data will be pumped through it.

For those who don't understand what these devices do, they basically create an extension of your network like having a very long cable....several miles depending on terrain.

I'm about to install these to get broadband on the farm via a family member's property. The dish style will run for many miles if you have clear line of sight. This project will span 2 miles and some trees. http://www.ubnt.com/airmax/nanobridgem/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)