Super Joey to be discontinued?

AlaJoe

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 5, 2005
With the SJ costing $10 and the regular or 4K joey costing $7 a month and DVR service $15 a month on any hopper why would anyone pay $25 a month for a HWS and SJ to get 5 tuners when for $22 a month you can have a H3 with a regular or 4k joey and get 16 tuners? As far as that goes even if it were the same price why would anyone pay the same price to get a non wall mountable joey and a system with 11 less tuners.
It just seems like the SJ has been obsoleted with the introduction of the H3 unless they are going to start offering it at a discount as opposed to a premium in order to extend the service life HWS systems.

I think the super joey was the receiver that they came out with to satisfy the complaints that a lot of people , me included,were disappointed with the first generation hopper with only 3 tuners. Then they invented the hopper 3 and it pretty much made the super joey obsolete. I have the super joey and a hopper 2 with sling myself and even though I don't need more than 5 tuners with ptat and ota=9 shows at one time, it would be nice to have the extra tuners. Especially since it wouldn't really cost me anymore in receiver fees to do it.

$12.00 dvr fee - hopper 2
$10.00 - super joey
$7.00 - joey
---------------------------
$29.00

vs

$15.00 dvr fee - hopper 3
$7.00 - 4k joey
$7.00- joey
----------------------------------
$29.00

* OF course they could always go up on the 4k joey fee, like they did the 2nd hopper fee that they said wouldn't go up from $7.00. I ended up having to do away with my 2nd hopper and go with the super joey to cut my fee back down and because I wanted total integration of my tuners.

I don't see the Super Joey being offered to new or existing customers for very long. There really is no reason to.

To be fair that 12.00 dvr fee will eventually be raised to the current 15.00 fee for grandfathered accounts. So getting an H3 and joey is/will be cheaper.
I'm sure that they will eventually hike the "grandfathered "accounts who don't upgrade. They did it with the second hopper accounts after so many months of $5.00 discounts , they will do it on the older accounts too.

The SJ will continue to be useful where H3s cannot be installed. But that window will close. I'll bet they shut down production quite some time back.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)