SuperDish Feeds/LNB

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

BryanSat88

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
Albany, NY
I picked up a surplus SuperDish and wanted to use it for FTA. I noticed the linear FSS LNB has a separate, VERY "oval" feedhorn attached via a flange to the LNB. Due to the LNB being stacked, poor noise figure, and not handled great by my receiver software, I wanted to swap it with a standard linear, 0.3 dB LNB with the attached round horn.

Has anyone done this with a good result, or is the oval feed system a necessity for good signal levels/low noise on this eliptical dish? I haven't seen too many linear Ku LNBs with a feedhorn flange for sale as a replacement.

Note: I only plan on using one LNB on this dish at the present time, so the loss of the neighboring pencil shaped feed (for 119?) isn't an issue.

I know that the SuperDish LNBs and Primestar LNBs are interchangeable as far as feedhorn-to-LNB mating. I expect that there are other LNBs available with removeable feedhorn so you can attach the one that matches your dish.

I had a superdish pointed at 123 and it worked great with the original LNB.

Pansat scanned them in just fine, besides the odd numbers.

have you tried it how it is yet? As I have found no need to replace the LNB, this might be because I have other dishes...

keep it simple, s.....

If your receiver doesn't handle the bandstacked LNB properly, I would consider:
- update the receiver firmware
- look for an LNB setup option called: Bandstacked, DP-something, something-DP, or DishPro
- as a last resort, read this thread. It explains how to get most FTA receivers to tune bandstacked LNBs.

Our member Netbuilder, put a stock linear LNB at the focus of an eliptical DirecWay dish to get 123°.
He didn't seem to indicate any problems.

Try what you have. Might be good enough. :cool:

I'm using a Dish FSS stacked LNB on my 1 meter Channel Master, with very acceptable results. Your receiver needn't support stacked LNBs as long as it has blind scan (or you have a calculator :) ) Just subtract the horizontal TP frequencies from 24600 to locate where they're stacked vertically.

The size of the Superdish (30 x 20) will present more of a concern than the LNB. Superdishes are somewhat undersized, especially for feed hunting. As far as noise figure is concerned, it REALLY doesn't matter as much as many people think it does. More of a marketing ploy than anything else....

I got the dish running with the original feed and stacked FSS LNB. Works well on most satellites, once I get them aimed.

Thanks for the information. I will be sure to upgrade dishes when one comes along for the right price.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts