Superdish vs Dish500 for newest locals

MarkG

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 30, 2004
Hello,again,trying to learn all I can re DISHnet,,seems more complicated than the DIrectTV I have now,but may switch because cant see the DirectTV satellite because of a hill and trees at my summer vacation spot in Wisconsin. So here is the question. Do I need a "Superdish" for the newly put into service Madison Wisconsin locals on DISHNET ,or will a Dish500 (thats the common 18" dish, right?) see them also? Will a 301 or 311 work on either dish? Is there a configuration proceedure that one must go through if I would decide at times to take my one receiver with me to use at 2 different locations,one with a Dish500,the other with a SuperDish? I currently have the common 18" Direct TV dish at home ,was hoping I could just re-aim it and put the correct LNB necessary to make it equivalant if needed,if I switch to Dishnet,but would like to now add Madison locals too. Does this sound do-able? An already installed Superdish with a splitter is available to me at the vacation spot. Just have to provide my own equipment cable and subscription.

I'd like to answer you, but simply cannot deal with the continuous stream of words. Please edit your post into coherent paragraphs and I'll be happy to help.

Simple Simon..Sorry I was so wordy.I will try again,guess no one needed details.But it was not incoherent by anymeans. Just trying to give the big picture. So Ill keep it simple this time:

1. Is a Superdish REQUIRED to get new Madison Wisconsin locals?
2 Will a 301 or 311 work with both The Superdish and Dish500 antennas?
3 Do these receivers need to be put through a reconfiguration proceedure if switching them back and forth between different locations with diffrenent types of dishes?
4 Can a common 18" Direct TV Dish simply be re-aimed to get Dishnet (basic service,andlocals if possible,not HD).
Thanks for any help.

Well, YES, we ALWAYS want as many details as possible. But paragraphs are VERY nice. Lists like in your last post are even better :)
A1: Go here to find out what birds you need. 105 & 121 require SuperDish. 61.5 & 148 require a Dish 300 added to your 500.
A2: Yes.
A3: Yes. It's known as Check Switch. Read some - you'll get it. Warning: Switching from DishPro gear to Legacy gear can be hazardous to the Legacy equipment unless it's done right.
A4: No. At least not without a LOT of expertise. It's simply not worth the aggravation.

Just a little elaboration on Simple Simon's answer

A1. You can also check on the Dish Network Locals page to find out that Yes the Madison, WI locals do require a SuperDish.

A4. With a basic 18" dish (E* calls their version the Dish 300) aimed at the 119 sats you can receive the basic programming pack (AT60) and most of the premium (HBO, Showtime, etc. channels) as well as some markets' local channels. Upgrading to a Dish 500 (20" dish that can see 110 and 119) will allow you to see the full AT120/AT180 programming packs, the remaining premium channels, HD channels and some additional local markets. The SuperDishes (which see 110, 119 and either 105 or 121) carry the remaining available local channel packs (some markets on 105 some on 121) and international channels (on 121 only).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts